Cubase VST/32 5.1 pop/crackle noise

Buzi

hi all.
I've got an annoying problem I'm dying to solve.
Help PLEASE !!!

I've got the following :
P4 2.4Ghz with 768Mb RAM.
Delta 1010 (just the pci card)
Yamaha 12/4 mixer
Windows XP Pro w/SP1
I use Cubase and Reason 2.0
I've got the Delta1010 vard on 1 pci, and some USB ports on another.

I've got Reason rewired to cubase and I'm using about 6 channels in cubase so far. I've got 2 of Reason's soft-synths and Reason's Dr.Groove drum machine going into Cubase. The synths each go into a 2 channels , and a KICK and SNARE onto seperate channels.
1st question -
During playback, I've got Cubase looping on 2 bars for constructing the drums sequence (Reason's drum machine). Whenever Cubase's marker goes back to the beginning of the loop ( "L" marker ) it plays both kick and snare samples at once...causing clipping. The drum sequence should only play the KICK on that spot.
WHY IS THAT ???

2nd question -
This problem started just recently (I just installed a new motherboard) :
Whenever I play the track there's clicking sounds when I've got the Cubase window in front, and when I switch to Reason, the clicking stops and everything's fine.
I get alot more clicks when playing back the mix and moving the mouse around, or opening a menu or scrolling across the virtual mixers.

I've tried changing sample rates, buffer sizes,...nothing works.
I'm using the Maudio ASIO driver
When I put the soundcard on a different PCI slot the computer doesn't even recognize it and tells me that the hardware couldn't be found (wierd) :eek:

What could be causing this ????

thanks alot for your help!

Buzi

Last edited:
Hey Buzi, I've been having the same problem, and I very much need help resolving it. This problem is on Cubase 5 with Windows 7.

I am using a newer model Toshiba lap top equipped with more than the system requirements published by Cubase. I have just began the process of building an adequate hardware system to support the level of musical theory and track channeling I'm interested in.

I feel my problem is very simple, and hopefully someone with the proper sound knowledge can help me out.

I get loud popping and crackling whenever I have more than 6 "tracks" going with different Cubase instruments inside the software when I'm doing playback. I suspect that since I am using multiple synth pads in some sections, the sound is multiplying and overloading my sound/graphics card and/or driver. The problem as indicated in other forums could be related to my graphics card... I don't know what that means. I've also encountered the theory that my 2.27 GHz processor or 4 GB of RAM isn't enough to handle the volume of data from the recorded tracks.

I don't know if it's a driver issue, or sound card, or something as simple as a settings error. Either way I'm almost computer illiterate and I need help figuring out how to fix it.
Any help from anywhere would be much appreciated,

Warmly,

Cory

Well, Buzi may have figured out the problem after the 6+ years since he posted that. Also, you should really start your own thread to discuss the issues with your setup rather than jumping into someone else's.

Having said that, I don't think Buzi is going to mind too much if we continue on in this thread.

The popping/crackling/stuttering/etc is because your computer cannot handle the workload. You said you have 6 tracks of Cubase instruments, which I'm assuming means you have 6 different 'instances' of VSTi's. I'm guessing that is too much. One way to lighten the load is to "Freeze" a track with a VSTi. This renders the track to an audio file and frees up your cpu and ram for other things. Read up on the Freeze function in the manual.

Also here's a link to an article that might help you optimize your computer for audio (this is for winXP but pertains to other versions of Windows. You might also search for an article for Win7):

SweetCare Service & Support | Sweetwater.com

Here's one from Steinberg:

DAW Components :  | http://www.steinberg.net/

good luck,

Hey Chili -- wow that was quick. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read over my issue.
I hopped back into Cubase here at work and deleted a bunch of the VST instruments tracks in the song. I simultaneously ran a performance bar to check on CPU usage. Memory and usage ran fine with the full set of instruments on there -- So I'm thinking now it isn't a hardware issue.

In reality it was around 10 different vst instruments. I downgraded to like 5 -- and the interference is still there.

It never became present until I went over 6 or 7 tracks though from Vst. Any ideas?

I think I fried my sound card because it sounds like something is "broken" in the transferring of sound data to my audio. <-- that also might be gibberish.

Hey Chili -- wow that was quick. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read over my issue.
I hopped back into Cubase here at work and deleted a bunch of the VST instruments tracks in the song. I simultaneously ran a performance bar to check on CPU usage. Memory and usage ran fine with the full set of instruments on there -- So I'm thinking now it isn't a hardware issue.

In reality it was around 10 different vst instruments. I downgraded to like 5 -- and the interference is still there.

It never became present until I went over 6 or 7 tracks though from Vst. Any ideas?

I think I fried my sound card because it sounds like something is "broken" in the transferring of sound data to my audio. <-- that also might be gibberish.

Strictly softsynths/VSTi's?? No recorded audio?? Your hard drive could be a bottleneck also. I'm still thinking system limitations. Har d to diagnose over the internet. The best anyone can do is offer suggestions. Be sure you have read up on all your manuals and such. Try a new project with just one VSTi and see if it comtinues. Post a sample MP3 so we can hear what's happening.

I had the same problem with an M-Audio card. Its caused by a setting in the BIOS of the motherboard, called C1E (advanced halt), Disable it.

Back