Cubase SE Vs. Cool Edit

Also, users like me that have no problems don't post over there. The fact that there are a ton of posts with problems means that there are just that many people out there using it. I don't go over there constantly posting about how much I love it. Instead i spend hour after hour in my studio making my clients love it:)

xstatic said:
Also, users like me that have no problems don't post over there. The fact that there are a ton of posts with problems means that there are just that many people out there using it. I don't go over there constantly posting about how much I love it. Instead i spend hour after hour in my studio making my clients love it:)

Yeah, it's a different beast over there. I don't see a lot of "Man, I am totally in love with Cubase". Seems like most use it as a venting forum - too bad. Makes the product look like crap, which is most definitely isn't. I don't post there much myself - just read, roll my eyes, and get back to recording.

Just look at this forum even. There aren't newbies that show up to talk about how well things are going. They come here because either they have problems or need answers. They make stick around and post positive things later, but at first they are all here (in general) for one of those reasons. Also, there are a lot of posts concerning problems and things that are really not Steinbergs fault, but 100% user error. Like I said, the fact that there are so many posts is not necesasrily a bad thing. It is reflective of just how wide spread the use of Steinberg Apps is.

Truth be told, Nuendo and Cubase SX are about the only PC apps that have made a break into the pro recording industry. Still no where near the level of Pro Tools as far as acceptance, but definately a strong second. There must be a reason for this;)

Komoney-

I've used CEP since 2.0 came out about 3 years ago. I recently purchased Cubase SE for sequencing only, but I still tend to use CEP for all my sample editing.

Do you plan to do any sequencing, or do you just intend to record live instruments?

You seem knowledgable. I am using Cubase with M Audio Delta audio card. The Sample rate is set to hear realistic audio voice. When I play back my midi music with the recorded audio voice it sounds like chipmunks. And the voice is way earlier than it should be. Cubase won't let me change the sample rate from 32,000 to 22,000. I can change it without Cubase but when I open Cubase and try to change it there too, it cuts me off with a posted rebuke. If it was human I would slap it one.
HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE SAMPLE RATE IN CUBASE (in a way that it will allow you to do it?)?
Please reply to rj.mcd@3web.net
Thanks - Bob

Changing a sample rate won't affect your pitch. Sample rate refers to how many 'samples' (digital snips of what's going on in the audio) your converter records in a second. For example, CD-quality sound has a 'sample rate' of 44100 samples/second. Changing from 32k to 22k won't affect the pitch or speed, just the fidelity.

Chrisjob,

If a project has audio already recorded in it, and you change the sample rate, it can change the pitch of the audio tracks in some software programs that don't automatically compensate for running multiple sample rates within the same project.

Robert McDonald said:
You seem knowledgable. I am using Cubase with M Audio Delta audio card. The Sample rate is set to hear realistic audio voice. When I play back my midi music with the recorded audio voice it sounds like chipmunks. And the voice is way earlier than it should be. Cubase won't let me change the sample rate from 32,000 to 22,000. I can change it without Cubase but when I open Cubase and try to change it there too, it cuts me off with a posted rebuke. If it was human I would slap it one.
HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE SAMPLE RATE IN CUBASE (in a way that it will allow you to do it?)?
Please reply to rj.mcd@3web.net
Thanks - Bob

You should set your sample rate on any new empty projects to be 44.1 khz (or higher if you feel the need, I use 24 bit/44.1 khz), and keep it there, there is no need to change the sample rate in the middle of recording/editing/mixing a project.

After you have completed your stereo mixdown you should dither down to 16 bit/44.1khz (redbook standard CD), to burn the wave file onto a CD.

Wanted to mention...

I know this is an old thread, but the best way to use this site is through the search function and I wanted to add to the info on the thread...

Cool Edit doesn't do midi at all... Its strictly audio and it does it well... I've been a big user of the old cool edit... Lately I've been playing with an old cubase demo and there is one HUGE difference that could be a benefit to most any recording situation...

Cool Edit doesn't use VST, but you can get a direct x to vSt plugin that allows you to use them... Problem is that you must do a good bit of work to make a copy of a track and add the effect to it (destructively) guessing as to how you think it will fit into the other tracks...

Cubase on the other hand allows a Vst "chain" for each track... This is much like using an external fx chain and this is important... For those of you who may not understand this I'll explain...

You record a rhythm guitar and a vocal track on seperate tracks... Then you realize that you need/want to add some compression and reverb to the vocal track... So you can go to the effects chain for that track... Put your compression in the first slot (so it hits the compression "unit" first) and then put the reverb in the second slot)... Once you get the reverb in you may decide that you want to change the compressors settings and this is simple to do... Even after all this you can go back and completely clear the "chain" to go back to your recorded track... NON-destructive and very simple... Almost a necessity...

AND
1. you get to hear this in the context of the rest of your tracks...very important

2. you can have a different chain for each track....

3. you can even use the same effect unit in a different chain at different settings and all of this is remembered by Cubase and will be the same as you saved it....

I've been in love with Cool Edit for over a year now, but I think that our relationship is about to change... This doesn't mean that It won't be a very useful application in the future but for my recording purposes I definitely want/need the type of capabilities that i explained above... Maybe Cubase isn't the ideal program for this, but It does it and to me that puts it quite a few steps above Cool Edit... Just thought I should share this weeks revelation to whomever stumbles upon the same questions that I had... Good luck in your search!!!

Back