cry baby

gibsonguy09

What kind of cry baby is the best? I know their are different models for different players. What is the best, and most cheapest one.

thanks

gibsonguy09 said:
thanks rokket. I figured i couldn't go wrong with the original. Anyone out their hav a special model?

Why type of sound are you looking for?

CryBaby is famous, and has been around for a while, but there is a Vox wah that was also used on a lot of famous 60's and 70's records that probably doesn't get as much press and is just written off as a CryBaby.

I can't remember the model, but its the one named after an old Organ player I believe....at least I think it was an organ.

I had an original Crybaby a long time ago. it fried within a year, so I can't really recommend it for durability. If I were to buy another I'd get the Dunlop Crybaby with the Q dial to adjust the width of the bandpass filter. Hopefully they've come up with a better pot than the one I had in the early '90s.

i got the orginal crybaby and i couldn't be happier. lots of people complain about a loss of brightness, but i didn't notice this. a friend i know who had one noticed it with his though, and just compensated with the treble knob on his amp. i know 99% of people run it before their distortion/overdrive, although if you desire instant funk, put it after and make scratchy noises with a single coil pickup!

olfunk said:
i got the orginal crybaby and i couldn't be happier. lots of people complain about a loss of brightness, but i didn't notice this. a friend i know who had one noticed it with his though, and just compensated with the treble knob on his amp.

:eek:

Loss of brightness? The Crybaby gets so bright full-on it's almost painful. :)

Also, you can rotate the pot to change the sweep range. You can adjust the frequency range of the sweep, or get your favorite sound in the middle of the rocker travel, or whatever.

olfunk said:
i know 99% of people run it before their distortion/overdrive, although if you desire instant funk, put it after and make scratchy noises with a single coil pickup!

I have to admit something. At one point I was in this mode where I tried to have every possible thing available at all times. I ran two wah pedals for awhile, one pre-distortion and one post, as I like both sounds. :o

There are smoother wahs out there, but I like the standard Crybaby and Vox (which is a bit smoother than the Crybaby) the best.

Here is a Crybaby trick. There are two rubber feet on the bottom of the rocker pedal, at the back. Take them out or cut them flush. It will increase the range of the sweep. After doing that, I roll the pot a little so I can get extra treble. With a solid amount of distortion, it's like an instant feedback pedal. Just be careful when you switch it on, as it is at full treble at that point.

It works on the Vox as well, but it's a little harder to coax the feedback out of it.

oh i didn't mean when the wah was on, i meant there was a treble loss when it was bypassed, due to not being true-bypass. sorry about that.

i have the 535Q and supposed to be the cadillac of them all, it has a dial for different frequency selections to shape the sound you want, i really like it.

Clyde

I checked out the Fulltone Clyde Wah and it really is a nice pedal - true bypass and adjustable trim pots. It's rather pricey, though worth it IMHO. I own other Fulltone pedals and they are awesome.

But the Clyde just wasn't for me. So I put a true bypass switch in my old Dunlop Crybaby and that did the trick. Cheers, Rez

so once again, this bbs may come to my aid. Am I to understand that I can take my crybaby that I generally hate the sound of and tweak it somehow to my liking? Basically whichever model I have (I'm not able to check right now), the EQ range goes from about the same as the bypass to WAY to much treble - that painful dagger to the ears sound. And unless my WAh-ing foot travel is limited to only about 1/4 inch in the middle of its range, it is too much. So what can be done to fatten out the wah sound? Just reset where the pot meets the geared slider thingy? I was all set to buy a new pedal...if there is a 'fix' that would rule!

I use to have the Original Cry Baby back in the day, but now have a 535Q. The only thing I can say is that the 535Q simply gives you more options because you can dial in different frequencies. There are actually two dials, plus it also has a boost switch. If your satisfied with just the original sound, then that's the one to get, otherwise take a look at the 535Q to see (or hear) the options it opens up to you.

stay away from anything dunlop or vox is offering. their parts are truly inferior to what is actualyl out there and the reliability of those units is poor. both vox and dunlop have cheap pots and this is the reason why they crap out so quickly. the cry baby is almost painful on the ears with it's very non- musical sweep. In my opinion, you have two choices: Fulltone clyde wah and RMC (geoff Teese) wahs. These are buit very well, have true bypass and will last about a million times longer than any crap at guitar center. They cost a bit more, but you ears, music and guitar will all thank you. I have the teese wizard wah which works well with both humuckers and single coils. I've been through all the rest and none comes close to geoff teese's stuff. besides he's a real stand up guy. i believe i paid $175.

steelpetals said:
stay away from anything dunlop or vox is offering. their parts are truly inferior to what is actualyl out there and the reliability of those units is poor. both vox and dunlop have cheap pots and this is the reason why they crap out so quickly. the cry baby is almost painful on the ears with it's very non- musical sweep. In my opinion, you have two choices: Fulltone clyde wah and RMC (geoff Teese) wahs. These are buit very well, have true bypass and will last about a million times longer than any crap at guitar center. They cost a bit more, but you ears, music and guitar will all thank you. I have the teese wizard wah which works well with both humuckers and single coils. I've been through all the rest and none comes close to geoff teese's stuff. besides he's a real stand up guy. i believe i paid $175.

Hey, FYI, Guitar Center sells Fulltone.

Did you just push Dr. Z amp in a thread about someone looking at a $300 amp? Yes you did.

Give it a rest already. This is like someone looking for a Ford or Chevy and you come out telling them to get a Bimmer...5 series preferable.

And by the way, Fulltone doesn't have one original design. The OCD is still under inspection though, so I will give them that for the time being. Not to mention that there are true by-pass in some CryBabies and Vox wahs.

hey, did I mention that I have an ORIGINAL thomas Organ Cry Baby, with "stack of dimes" inductor - made in chicago?

... thats about as sweet as it gets unless you have your right foot on an original Vox 846 :-)

cheers!
alfred

soory pal , i didn't push a dr z. amp on that particular person. read my post again, it states i'm interested in that amp for myself. I did however mention the rivera as an option. in fact certainly a very reasonable option I think. the vox valvetronix ad60vt runs about $600 bucks last time i checked. that's the one i had at least. a used rivera on ebay if you look closely, can run you not much more than that.

As far as the wah goes, you can buy a brand new vox wah for about $100. Add about $50 more and your into a used teese. The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. Not all guitar centers are fulltone dealers, and mike fuller is fairly particular with whom he deals with. His website lists very few guitar centers in fact. Besides, The crafsmenship you obtain with guys like fuller and geoff teese more than pays for itself in the long run. Notwithstanding, should you ever have a problem, quite often you can actaually speak to someone on the phone rather than the korg/vox/ marshall repair-r-us hotline that'll get you nowhere in the end....except maybe back to guitar center with receipt in hand.

Back