Crossover questions

fenderdude

I am thinking of getting a crossover to boost the bass of our band via a subwoofer. But here are a couple of questions:
I run a Crate PA is the main brain, it has two internal amps that I use to drive monitors or FOH speakers. I also have two amps in a rack setup with an eq. I was thinking of adding a crossover, using one of the amps to hook up a subwoofer via the crossover and the other amp for mids etc. Is this ok to do? In other words, I won't be using the highs of the crossover, just the mids and bass.
Or....another config, could I just use the mid and high parts of the crossover and not use the sub? In other words, I would run the lower frequencies to one set of FOH speakers and the Mid/high to another set and not use the sub. Any ideas?
Fenderdude :rolleyes:

This is how you want to go about doing this. You will take the main mixer line out of the powered mixer, You will go into one side of the crossover, set it as two way stereo. Take the high out then run back into the power amp in, on the powered mixer or the other power amp ,therefor taking the lows out of the two mains. then take the low out to one of the amps ,and send that to the sub. this is all post eq of course. I can give you more information if I knew what exactly the gear was ie crossover point slope and so on.

Peter,
Thanks for the info, I have an extra set of FOH speakers that have 15/s speakers, can I use one *or both of them as subs, can they handle it? I hadn't thought about running the highs back into the powered pa. It is is Crate 8dp+, I then have a external eq and two rack mounted amps. I just purchased a two way crossover that has a sub out. I am thinking of different configs, but want to know if I can use the extra set of FOH speakers to handle the sub signal.
Thanks
Fenderdude

It would work to some degree, if its a two way biampable speaker you would just run the amp into thye low input, a problem would occur if it was not biampable. Then you would have to disconnect the passive crossover in the box and run right to the speaker from the input. Reason being, even if you disconnect the horn you are still sending signal to the passive crossover, they usually will have components in there that are not capable of handling the ammount of power you would have to send to the box to make any kind of substantial difference as being used as a sub. Probably not the best way to go about using the speakers but it will function if thats your question.

Sooo, I need to disconnect the internal passive crossover and just hook it up direct to the speaker? Do you recommend just building a sub? If so, can you recommend any sites that walk you through the process?

It would be more beneficial to have a sub rather than a two way for this purpose. Building your own sub could work, that is if you already have speakers to put in them. Then you would need to obtain the theile small parameters for the given speaker which you would like to build a cabinet for. As far as a website, I unfortunately was privy to this information prior to the advent of the internet so everything I have is in print. I am shure this topic is discussed in some length somewhere online. The basic concept is the application for the sub and how it is going to move air. There are several common designs, If you are looking at doing clubs that are relatively small to midsized I would suggest looking at a front loaded design (15" or 18") ported. That will give you a relatively short throw as far as subs are concerned. I would stay away from horn loaded and bandpass designs unless you need long throw or are a dj respectively.

petermiller said:
This is how you want to go about doing this. You will take the main mixer line out of the powered mixer, You will go into one side of the crossover, set it as two way stereo. Take the high out then run back into the power amp in, on the powered mixer or the other power amp ,therefor taking the lows out of the two mains. then take the low out to one of the amps ,and send that to the sub. this is all post eq of course. I can give you more information if I knew what exactly the gear was ie crossover point slope and so on.

Peter,
My crate has an "effects loop to power amp one" line in and line out and the same thing for the second power amp in the box unit. These are line level signals for external effects processors etc. Could I run the highs from the crossover (or mids) to these amps via these line in's? They are post eq and post master level.
THanks
Fenderdude

that sounds like it would work. It seems as though that would be a feature to add an external eq or crossover. This is as long as the channel scource does not eminate from an effects send on the channel.

petermiller said:
that sounds like it would work. It seems as though that would be a feature to add an external eq or crossover. This is as long as the channel scource does not eminate from an effects send on the channel.

Well, these are post eq and post master level so it sounds like it isn't on a specific channel but overall. I will post the link to the manual in just a sec since I see you are on line.
One sec

it looks like the fx return would be the correct way to return the signal but you might try using the Post eq master output as your send.

petermiller said:
it looks like the fx return would be the correct way to return the signal but you might try using the Post eq master output as your send.

Yes, into the crossover? I usually use the post eq master or monitor send into the external amps. is that what you mean? Then run the out from the crossover back into the external effects loop?
Thanks,

Back