Crate Power Block for Guitar/Bass....thoughts?

jdizzle007

Good Morning Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or opinons on the Crate Power Block for use with a guitar or bass? I would be using it for band practice and recording. When using with guitar I'd be running a Line 6 POD HD400 through it...

Any thoughts would be appreciated! :thumbs up:

lol thanks Greg for the response... any reason in particular? I havent bought it yet, but saw one on CraigsList for $140 and saw some youtube videos that sounded decent, but those are subjective... i havent been able to track down any other ones for sale used online as well so was hoping to get some thoughts on it as potential purchase :-)

Reason? It's a Crate Powerblock. Really, if you're just looking for something to run your POD into, I guess it would be okay. For bass, make sure you use the right cab/speakers.

I had one for 6 months maybe a year before it stopped working. And from what I read about them online others have had the same problem... the powerblock doesn't last long. It's cute and small so I figured it was a perfect back up amp. It sounded ok clean and it gets plently loud. I played with live drums and it had no problems being heard. Never used it on stage. I only used in practices. I didn't even use it all that much honestly. I only paid $99 for mine new! oh well I wish they were built to last I would have paid more for one that lasted. Funny ay my crate powerblock lasted less than a year and my 1979 marshall still sounds great and works like a champ... there is a no brainer for ya.

Hello everyone!
thank you all for your advise and comments....

I decided to not go with the Crate powerblock based on your advise, some additional research and the fact the CL guy would not budge on the price at all :-/

My solution for needing something to play at home for practice/recording was the Ampeg BA-108 25W bass amp... I spent alot of time in GC testing a bunch of amps within the price range the $100-$200... This had a great tone range and sound to it and had a line out that the guy said I could hookup to a cab and PA if i needed it to... Plus there was a sale so I got it for $90

Now my question is to solve the same usage for my guitar... I want to stick to a good solid small tube... I could either buy new, buy used, or fix up what i have...

I have a VOX VR30 hybrid Solid-state/tube... it sounded great when i got it years ago... its been through 3 moves... hasnt been played until for about 3yrs.. it's clean tone isnt quite there anymore, and now everytime i use it it picks up radio frequencies lol... i dont know if maybe new tubes would fix... or if i should just buy something new... looking to stay $200 and under for this....but want the expandibility for a cab hookup if i practice with a band in the future...

any suggestions?

Thanks again for everyone's time and help :-)

Late to the party, but my bass player had one he was using for awhile. He buys/sells used gear for a living and is always switching his rig around with new stuff. I think the Crate developed some problems on him. He's using something similar from Ampeg now, small and lightweight, and it sounds o.k..

Back