Crackling in my MIDI Project, please help!

Maverick87

Hey all. Im brand new to MIDI. In the process of making my first rap/hip hop beat. I play instruments as well and have been in metal bands(weird mix, I know..). Anyways, Im hoping to bring that influence into my beats and sound altogether. First MIDI project is going pretty well, but now that Im about 25 tracks or so in, Im noticing some crackling going on pretty steadily.

When I solo the tracks that are playing, the crackling doesnt exist, but when I take them off solo and let the project play, the crackling is very noticable. My soundcard is an M-Audio MobilePre(1st Generation). I have an HP Slimline Desktop, which might be irrelevant since I use the MobilePre's sound card. The program I use for MIDI is Magix Music Maker MX Premium. Im also using an M-Audio 49 KeyRig MIDI Controller. Any ideas why Im experiencing this crackling?

Well considering you are using 25 tracks I would probably say you are experiencing some asio time overload. Set the audio driver's latency to it's highest, unless you're recording anything in (audio or MIDI) then there's no need to have your latency set really low.

If this doesn't make sense let me sum it up...
High Latency = Takes longer for your DAW to transfer sound to/from the soundcard.... However you won't overload the asio driver.
Low Latency = Takes less time for your DAW to transfer sound to/from soundcard (you want it set to this ideally only for recording).... And this is more likely to overload the asio driver.

On top of that I would DEFFINATELY replace your DAW. I have worked with several versions of Magix and they really do eat up your CPU.

I am not aware of any issues with the 1st Gen Mobile Pre (purely because I've never used one) but other people seem to have. Go read this thread and see if the soundcard is the source of any problems....
THREAD LINK

Back