Crackling caused by NVIDIA sound card?

Laynestaley

Newbie Shmewbie
Crackling caused by NVIDIA video card?

Hi, I recently bought a new desktop with the following specs:

CPU: Intel® Core 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)
RAM: 6 GB DDR2 RAM
Video Card: 1.024 MB NVIDIA GeForce GT220
Sound Card: M-Audiophile 2496
HD: 2 x 500 GB Dual SATA (7.200 rpm)

After installing my Audiophile 2496 (which worked perfectly on my old PC) I noticed a short crackle of static on playback, mostly when I open a new window or right-click something to open a menu. It's not just in Cubase but also when playing an MP3 in Media Player for example. This is what I tried so far, all to no avail:
- turning off the onboard sound in BIOS
- changing the sound card to another PCI-slot
- changing the buffer size and sample rate

I noticed the same problem when playing something with the onboard sound so it has nothing to do with my sound card. I also have all the latest drivers installed.

Seeing that the crackles appear when I open a new window or menu or anything like that, I'm guessing it has something to do with my video card. I do not know how to check this however. Is there any way I can turn off my video card to check if it's causing the crackles? Attached you'll find a screenshot of my Device Manager and one from DPC Latency Checker which might help locate the problem. I'm not so technical myself...

Any other suggestions are also much appreciated since this problem is very frustrating. I just bought all this new gear and fresh version of Cubase to go along with it and I get these terrible crackles. I'm starting to be sorry I didn't take my friends advice who told me to buy a Mac this time. Thanks.

Attachments

• Device Manager.jpg
    Device Manager.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DPC.jpg
    DPC.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back