Country Original tracked live - GOO's Got The Gout

wjgypsy

uncle-goo-2013-smaller.jpg

This group came in late last month and tracked an original piece around 2am.. once the flow of audio and red wine had reached optimum levels. For fans of 60's/70's country. Vox, Guitar, Bass Fiddle, Fiddle, Electric Guitar and Drums all tracked live in one room.

UNCLE GOO and the Parkertown Pickers - "Goo's Got The Gout"

Overall, a bit too much low end.

I think the bass is a bit too low - maybe roll some of the low end off. The snare (and the kit): why'd you pan it off to the left like that? Also, you might like to put less verb on it and bring it forward a bit. The electric guitar could have a taste less low end and a bit more reverb/delay. I can't make out the acoustic on the right very well at all - I think it's getting masked EQ-wise, and it's nowhere near as loud as the electric on the left.

So the panning is skewed left, and the whole thing sounds too dark.

Okay, the song - good shitkicker stuff. But you can mix it better than this.

Who's Goo? :)

Agree with dobro on the bass, rolling off the bottom and bring it up.

I didn't hear an issue with the pan. Snare was a little loud, but not really bad.

A little high end would help this a bit. Not a lot, just enough to bring in some brightness.

Sounds good and natural for the most part. One session and everyone in the same room? If so, really nice. Fun recording.

I like the bass level & the electric guitar. The vocals are on 1 side which is a little disconcerting - particularly as there's not enough happening on the other side to compensate.

Agree with dobro on the bass, rolling off the bottom and bring it up. I didn't hear an issue with the pan. Snare was a little loud, but not really bad. A little high end would help this a bit. Not a lot, just enough to bring in some brightness. Sounds good and natural for the most part. One session and everyone in the same room? If so, really nice. Fun recording.

I wondered about the bass (1955 American Standard Acoustic miced with a beta 52)..It played well through a sub / car stereo but does seem lost at moments when referencing on small lap top / computer speakers.

All was recorded in the same room live, snare does seem loud at times but I believe that was perhaps the snare overtones coming in on the other instrument tracks/mics..sort of how you can hear GOO's vocal bleeding in from the middle to the far right side at times via his acoustic guitar mic.

The panning is just a strange personal preference from song to song that I've developed over time / listening for better or worse. The drum overhead is panned to one side, but with an amount of room mic panned to the opposite side. I may also be a bit biased for the older placements of sounds and instruments, particularly with country / twang records where it was not at all uncommon to hear vocals on one side, then hi-hats/guitars/bass/plate reverb on the other side for the 'stereo' mix. Some of the lesser known records that were cut and mixed quickly at small budget studios in the 60's / 70's have an eerie charm about them...Tomatoes and tomatos.

Thanks to you all for giving a listen.

Back