Corrosion on tape head remedy? (Salvageable or AFU?)

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
So I picked up an MSR-16 as a parts deck. Price was so-so but a trade off. The seller had a video and most functions seemed to work motors, capstan, etc. But there’s rust and corrosion in some of the metal parts and the head stack has some weird corrosion. Sellers photo. I’d like a working or nearly working deck as a spare if possible but what the heck happened here? I already have a spare head, I got this for motors, channel cards, etc. I'm assuming I need to be careful cleaning this head, and this might be a job for JRF.

Attachments

• A7153186-BA08-40C5-B1C9-77CA0E6ED7EB.png
    A7153186-BA08-40C5-B1C9-77CA0E6ED7EB.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
That’s bizarre. I’ve not seen corrosion like that before either. When do you expect to have the machine or do you have it already? It’s hard to tell if it’s just surface growth, like mold or something vs actual corrosion or oxidation. So that would be my first step is just see if it wipes off. Weird.

That’s bizarre. I’ve not seen corrosion like that before either. When do you expect to have the machine or do you have it already? It’s hard to tell if it’s just surface growth, like mold or something vs actual corrosion or oxidation. So that would be my first step is just see if it wipes off. Weird.
FedEx says next Monday. The more I look it reminds me a little of the verdigris the greenish goober that would get on toilets on ships. They’re salt water. Thing is coming from Texas. Shipping was a bitch but I’d rather it get here in one piece. I personally shipped my own from LA. (One of the perks of having navy duty in San Diego) It was expensive and that was about 15 years ago.

Last edited:
If you want to sell the front panel- the upper part- I need one. Mine was damaged in shipping. Can pay or trade other parts I have for the MSR-16. PM if interested. Are you the same guy that had issues with a Tascam DR680 and lower voltage batteries some years ago?

FedEx says next Monday. The more I look it reminds me a little of the verdigris the greenish goober that would get on toilets on ships. They’re salt water. Thing is coming from Texas. Shipping was a bitch but I’d rather it get here in one piece. I personally shipped my own from LA. (One of the perks of having navy duty in San Diego) It was expensive and that was about 15 years ago.
Hey do you have an update? Curious if it arrived and what you found when you could actually get eyes on it.

Back