copying anologue tracks to cubase thru ALESIS 16 usb,..

dobrocop

hi, hope somebody can help, im thinking of getting alesis multimix 16 USB = Cubase steinberger pc recorder,.as i have an old 12 track recorder [analogue] thats about to die, and i have 30 large vhs type [but not as big] cassettes of 12 tracks of recorded stuff that i need to copy to digital [PC] my question is this,.... can i plug all 12 channels into 12 of the alesis 16 then thru one usb cable to cubase recorder on to individual tracks at the same time,...it will be in real time, and theres only about 15 hours of stuff,....also how much hard disc space would this take up, would i need an external hdd, 500gb or so? cheers,dobrocop.:confused::D:eek::(:o

Someone just asked this in two seperate threads about the 8 channel version. If you look hard enough, you may find your answer......

As for the space, the formula is: channels * sample rate * bytes-per-sample * number of seconds. Bytes/Sample will be 2 for 16-bit and 3 for 24-bit.

For example, recently I took digital backups of my 8-track masters. For that, I used 24/96 and with few exceptions, each tape contained 33 minutes of audio.

For me, that was: 8 * 96000 * 3 * 1980 = 4'561'920'000, or about 4.5 GB per reel. I ended up with about 70GB of data, which I'll probably burn to DVDs.

Back