copying 8-track tapes

Pirateking

Ok.
I have a Tascam 488, which is an 8-track that records to cassette tapes. My question: is it possible to take a tape that I have used to record on my 8 track and make a copy of it so that the tracks are still seperate on the copy (the difficulty being that the 8track records at twice the speed and on both sides of the tape at once). It seems like even if I stuck the tape in my stereo and copyed both sides, the tracks would be out of sync with each other on the copy unless the tapes were exactly the same length and started at EXACTLY the same time. So what are the alternative solutions?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't (I'm not home right now, so I can't check). It's the Tascam 488 Mk. I, so it's a few years old.

You can get all 8 tracks out separately

... at least, this is true with the 488 mkII. That machine also doesn't have individual outs for each track (what was TASCAM thinking?!), but if you follow this link, you'll find out how it can be done...

https://homerecording.com/tas488tips.html

Hope this helps

Bruce in Korea

Yo PirateKing:

Where have you been hiding?

From what I read on the "way to copy all 8 tracks," seems to be too much trouble to get a second generation of the 8 tracks.

Time for you to look at the Yamaha 2816 and really get some fantastic sound.

I've been doing the learning curve but the road is becoming straighter each time I turn on the box.

Yamaha put some pretty good converters into the 2816 and without burning a CD in its built in CD burner, I can run 16 bit and 24 bit stuff out of the stereo plugs into tape and WOW, is it a great sound.

Well, good luck on your project and Happy St. Patrick's day.

Green Hornet:D :D :cool: :p :p

I guess yr just trying to be helpful, Mr. Hornet, but I seem to noticing an annoying tendancy of yours as I read through the bbs., which is to recommend purchasing pricey new equipment to people who had not necessarily indicated that buying new equipment was a valid solution or even indicated that they were dissatisfied with their current less expensive equipment. Sorry if I'm being rude, but I asked a hopefully simple question, looking for a hopefully simple answer, and your suggestion that I get rid of my shitty 8-track came across as smug equipment mockery from someone who seems to be a little too heavily invested in the "analog vs. digital 'debate,'" rather than someone actually trying to be helpful. Thanks but no thanks.

Hey PirateKing:

I still have my 488 in the catacombs in case I get tired of digital -- which, of course, will never happen.

No offense intended; I started out with a 4 tracker and thought that was the end of the world for a long time.

But, I think you ought to recognize progress keeps progressing. Technology moves forward. But, you know man, if you still like Oscar Mayer hot dogs, whose to tell you not to buy them?

And, why would I have loaned you the 488 manual if I thought you had a shitty box????

Happy St. Patrick's Day anyway.
Green Hornet

:D :p :p :p

Back