cool edit pro

S8-N

..|.. Part-time Antichrist ..|..
hey man... Why dont you guys have a forum for Cool Edit Pro? Am I wrong or does it smoke Cakewalk? I got demo versions of both when I bought my WAVE 8*24 and without any documentation I put together a ten track recording in cool edit pro without much hassel but couldnt figure how to get so much as a signal into Cakewalk. I ordered the full version from syntrillium and am looking forward to its 64 tracks and effects. Evil!

hey evil (?),

yep, i'd like to see a cool edit pro forum as well, as it's included with many soundcards. tho' this site and its forums have been a godsend for me. so how do you like your wave? (if this is off topic, feel free to reply via p-mail) i've been considering buying it for my first daw. so are you limited to 10 tracks for mixdown?

thanks and take care,

tony

Yo Tony,
You're not limited to ten tracks for mixdown on the full version. The demo version that is included with the WAVE is limited to ten audio tracks with no Directx effects. The full version has 64 (my copy is in the mail). Im happy with my WAVE so far although I havent really tapped its full capabilities. You need a decent Mixing board to get the full effect of its 8 inputs and I dont have one yet. The one thing that I didnt grasp about the WAVE 8*24 is that all Mics must be preamped before going into it. No preamp...no signal. I wasn't aware of that untill I started trying to record.

oh! now that makes much more sense. kinda misleading that they say it includes cool edit pro doncha think? how much did the full version run you? thanks!

tony

You can upgrade from the demo for $250...otherwise its around $400. Ive been using the demo version(cool edit pro SE) for a few weeks but my full version should be here tomarrow... The only difference that I know of between the two is the number of tracks(10 VS. 64)and the plug-in effects (Thirtysomething).

cool, thanks for the info! sounds like the wave is the ticket for me. if you don't mind, what are the specs on the computer you're using the wave with? i've got a powerspec with an intel celeron 333, but with meager ram and hd (which i'm going to upgrade). thanks again!

tony

Hey Tony,
I'm using a Gateway with a 450 MgHz processor and 128 ram... Cool edit claims to run smoothly on slower computers thanx to background mixing but i dont know... I just got the full version via UPS today and started applying effects to the tracks I've been laying down... It seems to me that my only limitation is knowledge... the cool edit manual is kind of sketchy... you have to download it from their website. It doesnt come with the software which is kinda weird, but it was cool to be able to view the manual prior to buying the software. You cant do that with Cakewalk...to my knowledge...

Hey I have Cool edit Pro on a slow machine. Its a 150Mhz Cryix Instead. But Cool Edit Pro runs great...only thing is that when I'm working with an entire song - about 5 to 10 minutes in length - some of the plugins and filters (especially the hiss reduction) can take up to 45 minutes to run.

But thats cool, cause You can get an encoder for it to save files as MP3's ...and not regular MP3(Mpeg1 - Layer 3)...it saves them as Mpeg2 - Layer 3. Much better than regular Mp3.

Back