Converting MIDI to WAV

Well the only thing I can think of that stops me is if the card is registered with windows as a device to map through, then you may need to go into the Play Control (little yellow speaker icon in the system tray) and go to the recording settings (Options|Recording) and make sure that MIDI is the selected input to record from. If I don't do that single step I can't record midi trying to remder it to wave. The midi plays but the sound card never gets the audio.

Hope this helps.

DS_Sultan,

When you say "Play Controls" do you mean "Volume Controls"? Because in the recording section (Options | Recording) all that shows is:

- ISIS 1/2
- ISIS 3/4
- ISIS 5/6
- ISIS 7/8
- ISIS S/PDIF (unchangeable)

and under those columns are volume meters and under that is a checkbox that says "mute" and under that is a box that says "advanced" and when you click each of these "advanced" buttons, there is a checkbox that says "solo for ISIS 1/2" for ISIS 1/2 and "solo for ISIS 7/8" for ISIS 7/8. What should I do here?

- Andrew

OK, then this card is sending midi data out to the XP-30 I take it. The way I would do it is this.

Arm a track for record of audio for the ISIS 1/2 inputs.
Solo the MIDI track.
Connect the audio out from the XP-30 to the ISIS 1/2 inputs.
Tell it to record and let the track play to the end..

Now you say and you show that this is how it's connected. So next I would ask this; if you just play the keys on the XP-30, can you record that into the ISIS 1/2? If not, then you may be getting into a midi control issue that I have heard about that is turning off the local note during playback. And can you tell the midi track to play and have the XP just play the sequence? Again, if it does, then the error is during record.

What you should be getting is the midi out to the XP and the audio that you would normally hear it then generate gets recorded as the XP plays it back.

My example prior was for something like using a synth card (like an SB Live) to record the midi data that it is processing.

Outboard gear usually just has it's output connected to the sound card input, and midi controls connected from the midi source to the device being told to play, in this case the XP-30.

Hope that makes it clearer. If not, ten ask again. Thisas got to work, it is such a standard thing to do.

P.S. I will also try a similar test with my Roland D20 to see if I get the same issue as you. Different device and sound card but the connections should be the same. I will let you know what I get. Together maybe we can isolate why it doesn't work for you.

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew.....

You have to let us know EXACTLY what pieces of equipment you have, PLUS...EXACTLY the INS/OUTS, plus the EXACTLY THE type of INS/OUTS.

I was going to post a lot more info, but you need to let us know some more things before we can give you a detailed explanation of how to hook up your equipment.

Plus, what "external rack" are you talking about?

I am assuming that you have 8 inputs.

I am assuming that those 8 inputs are 1/4".

I am assuming that you might have 2 soundcards?

I was assuming that you had 2 outputs?

Now, I am assuming that you only have 1 output and that it is 1/8" stereo on one of the soundcards?

I am also assuming that you have 2 to 4 outputs on the ISIS card?

This is very confusing :confused: .

OK, in Cakewalk assign the midi track/s that you want to convert into a WAV. file/s to the same port (ISIS 3/4 playback).

In Cakewalk OR the "editing program" (Cool Edit, Sound Forge, etc.) make you source stereo ISIS 3/4 analogue IN.

Considering the type of input or output connector (1/4" or 1/8"), you will purchase a cable that meets those sizes (i.e. 1/4" to 1/4" or 1/4" L/R male tp 1/8" stereo male).

Now that I think about it they (ISIS) are probably 1/4".

So, connect the ISIS 3/4 OUT into the ISIS 3/4 IN, because you have the keyboard connected to the ISIS 1/2 IN.

Let us know something.....????? :confused:

spin

p.s. We still need to find out why you are not getting any input into Cakewalk.

OK, I did some tests with my setup. Roland D20 and an Aardvark Directpro. Hooked it up the same way your talking about, and tell the midi tracks to use the directpro as their port. The keyboard plays the notes and I hear them on the input of sound card, and they then play out the monitors.

So after looking at how simple that really is to do, and after reviewing the ISIS card from their web site, I would have to say that there is a problem in the Console 8/4, the Soundbank Manager config, the instrument or the media manager. I know that a console manager can be very hard to understand and they (Guillemot) says it is supposed to be a snap to use, however if your having such trouble it can't be that easy!

So I would look into those areas. When I did my tests, it was a snap so something is not right with the signal routing as suggested, or the connections you have to the midi stuff.

Keep plugin away at it tho Andrew and it will get resolved.

Good luck.

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't realize that I didn't give enough information. Here is as detailed as I can get.

View the *.TXT file of the setup information, http://www.angelfire.com/az3/andrewsbackups/setup.txt, to see it more organized.

---------------------------------------------------------
* SETUP ONE - original setup *

Equipment:
- Roland XP-30 (keyboard)
- Samson Mixpad 9 (mixer)
- Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS (sound card/external rack)
- Roland MA-8 (keyboard amps)

Roland XP-30 (keyboard):
- Audio:
- Audio Left Out:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to Mixpad Line 4L In
- Audio Right Out:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to Mixpad Line 5R In
- Headphones: unused

- MIDI:
- MIDI In:
- MIDI to MIDI cable
- Connected to ISIS MIDI Out
- MIDI Out:
- MIDI to MIDI cable
- Connected to ISIS MIDI In
- MIDI Thru: unused

Samson Mixpad 9 (mixer):
- Main Output:
- Main Output Left:
- 1/4" to RCA jack
- Connected to MA-8 Left Line In
- Main Output Right:
- 1/4" to RCA jack
- Connected to MA-8 Right Line In

- Aux Send:
- Aux 1 Send:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to ISIS Line 1 In
- Aux 2 Send:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to ISIS Line 2 In

- Aux Ret:
- Aux Ret 1/2:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to ISIS Line 1 Out
- Aux Ret 3/4:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to ISIS Line 2 Out

- Line In:
- Line 4L In:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to XP-30 Left Audio Out
- Line 5R In:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to XP-30 Right Audio Out

Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS (sound card/external rack):
- MIDI:
- MIDI In:
- MIDI to MIDI cable
- Connected to XP-30 MIDI Out
- MIDI Out:
- MIDI to MIDI cable
- Connected to XP-30 MIDI In

- Line Output:
- Line 1 Out:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to Mixpad Aux Ret 1/2
- Line 2 Out:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to Mixpad Aux Ret 3/4
- Line 3/4 Out: unused

- Line Input:
- Line 1 In:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to Mixpad Aux 1 Send
- Line 2 In:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to Mixpad Aux 2 Send
- Line 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 In: unused

- S/PDIF:
- Optical: unused
- Coaxial: unused

Roland MA-8 (keyboard amps):
- Line 1 Input:
- Left Input:
- RCA to 1/4" jack
- Connected to Mixpad Left Main Output
- Right Input"
- RCA to 1/4" jack
- Connected to Mixpad Right Main Output

- Line 2 Input: unused

* SETUP TWO - experimental setup *

Equipment:
- Roland XP-30 (keyboard)
- Samson Mixpad 9 (mixer, unused)
- Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS (sound card/external rack)
- Roland MA-8 (keyboard amps)

Roland XP-30 (keyboard):
- Audio:
- Audio Left Out:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to ISIS Line 1 In
- Audio Right Out:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to ISIS Line 2 In
- Headphones: unused

- MIDI:
- MIDI In:
- MIDI to MIDI cable
- Connected to ISIS MIDI Out
- MIDI Out:
- MIDI to MIDI cable
- Connected to ISIS MIDI In
- MIDI Thru: unused

Samson Mixpad 9 (mixer): unused

Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS (sound card/external rack):
- MIDI:
- MIDI In:
- MIDI to MIDI cable
- Connected to XP-30 MIDI Out
- MIDI Out:
- MIDI to MIDI cable
- Connected to XP-30 MIDI In

- Line Output:
- Line 1 Out:
- 1/4" to RCA jack
- Connected to MA-8 Left Line In
- Line 2 Out:
- 1/4" to RCA jack
- Connected to MA-8 Right Line In
- Line 3/4 Out: unused

- Line Input:
- Line 1 In:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to XP-30 Left Audio Out
- Line 2 In:
- 1/4" to 1/4" jack
- Connected to XP-30 Right Audio Out
- Line 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 In: unused

- S/PDIF:
- Optical: unused
- Coaxial: unused

Roland MA-8 (keyboard amps):
- Line 1 Input:
- Left Input:
- RCA to 1/4" jack
- Connected to ISIS Line 1 Out
- Right Input"
- RCA to 1/4" jack
- Connected to ISIS Line 2 Out

- Line 2 Input: unused

Also, my speakers are plugged into the Line Out of the actual sound card (not the external rack) and the external rack is plugged into the actual sound card with a joystick cable. I hope this information helps because it took me long time to look up and write out. So please help me! Thank you!

- Andrew

c7sus,

"When you playback make sure that you are transmitting from the ISIS on the same MIDI channel that you are receiving on with the Roland. "

What does this mean? How can I transmit different channels from the ISIS to the Roland if the only available plugs are MIDI Out, In, and Thru.

Or do you mean on my MIDI tracks, I set the Source to "MIDI Channel 1", "MIDI Channel 2", etc.? Or do I set the Port to "1-Roland XP-30 Patch" (the only MIDI Port).

I have some questions because I'm confused now:

What do I set the MIDI tracks' source to?
What do I set the MIDI tracks' port to?
What do I set the Audio tracks' source to?
What do I set the Audio tracks' port to?
What do I plug in to what (cable-wise)?
What options do I change in Options | Audio?
What options do I change in Options | Project?

It would clear everything up for me if these questions were answered. Again, thank you for all your help!

- Andrew

I have the Roland plugged into my mixer and the mixer plugged into the monitors so I can hear what I play. Also, the only thing connected to the ISIS is the mixer (audio-wise). In this case, what do I select for the Audio track's ports (since the Roland is NOT directly connected to the ISIS)?

But I have recently set it up so that the keyboard is directly connected to the ISIS and the ISIS only. And in which case the audio didn't record properly or at all.

"...Set the audio port for whatever channels you want to monitor the audio with."

If I want it to come out of my amps, do I plug in the amps to the "output" of the ISIS? How come it doesn't work when I do this? What if I want the audio to come out of my computer speakers? The speakers are connected to the sound card itself (not the external rack where the keyboard is plugged into).

Please help! Thanks!

- Andrew

c7sus, relax bro'... I was trying to show Andrew that all he had to do was play his MIDI tracks out of the computer, then record it directly back into the computer as a wave file.

He has to go out of somewhere and then go back in somewhere.

But...It seems that you have helped him, so...I commend you on a job well done. :)

Edward McMillan Vaughn IV

Just for clarification, my mixer says "Aux. Ret" and "Aux. Send", does this mean "Line In" and "Line Out"?

And I do play the MIDI tracks to the keyboard. But for some reason the audio only goes to the amps and not to the sound card. Currently, I have the original setup (with the mixer; see above thread) in use. Even with the second setup, the audio is not sent to the computer (nor is it sent to the amp)...what's wrong here?

- Andrew

Not working. I have my setup as Setup #2 (see above thread) and still no audio is being sent to the PC, or at least no audio is being recorded. Why is this? Is there something I should do in Volume Controls? Sounds and Multimedia Controls? ISIS Media Station Controls? Cakewalk Options | Audio Controls? And I've been hearing numerously that in the Console view in Cakewalk, meters are supposed to be moving, but they aren't. Why aren't they?

- Andrew

If you hook the output of the XP to any kind of amp or speakers, do you get any output at all? You have to be sure that is good, that is the first and formost thing here. After that if nothing is happening then it may still be on the midi side of the issue.

This is not rocket science and should be simple if you break it down into little chunks and make sure every step is working.

I know you have been working on this and getting a bunch of conflicting info, but really, this should be easier than your seeing.

I would help but it would mean having a live chat so we can go over things in detail. Would that help you? Let me know.

DS_Sultan,

YES! Live chat would be perfect! Let me know when and how we can talk. I have AIM and that's about it...but I can get MSN or ICQ or anything so that I can fix this problem!!!

- Andrew

DavidK,

I've tried using Setup #2 (mixer-less) but nothing seems to work. The MIDI is sent to the keyboard but the audio isn't sent to the computer.

- Andrew

Back