Control of input level and volumes

neonblue

Hi,
I am very new to this all (equipment listed below) and am highly enjoying the learning involved but I have a long way to go.

So I'll start off with the item that is perplexing me the most at the moment. I have good control over the input and output levels of my guitars, monitors and headphones via the Saffire LE audio interface hardware and the included Saffire LE Control software. My keyboard connects directly (USB) and I seem to have simple but pretty good control over the input level and volume in Garageband using the track volume slider. However the input level of my Roland drums is not so great. I connect the MIDI out of my drums to the MIDI input port of my Saffire LE. When I record I can barely hear the drums. I need to blast the track volume for the drums to maximum to hear much of anything. But I am not sure how to increase the input level of the drums - there is no "control" (midi) to manipulate the level other than the track volume itself. (the drums themselves are set to maximum volume but that would not have anything to do with the volume level of the track when I record). If I increase the general volume in the DAW then all tracks increase in volume.

Thanks for any input.

Equipment
DAW: Garageband and Logic Studio 9 (Using Garageband to learn and just starting to use Logic 9 now)
Computer: iMac 27"
Audio interface: Saffire LE
Drums: Roland TD4KX
KeyBoard: Yamaha KX49

I am using Garageband (and am just starting with Logic 9) and have all the jam packs. I go Midi out from drums, to midi in on Saffire. Create a software Instrument in Garageband, select the drum kit I want to use in GB and hit record. The track records successfully but I need to set the track volume to max to hear anything at all.

Back