Considering getting a Shure SM27 for recording my baritone vocal range.

Johne1

Anyone have experience with the Shure SM27, particularly using it with a male baritone vocal range?
Your feedback appreciated. Thanks!

They're nice microphones, but not that popular, simply because they are good at most things, but don't really have a thing they shine at, like most mics. If you are a baritone, range wise, you'e looking for a mic that will flatter your lower register. Condensers, especially the smaller diaphragm ones, tend to favour higher frequencies and can sound a little characterless lower down. Another thing to consider is not just your range, but power. If you are a medium to loud performer, a dynamic might bring out your lower end a bit more. The Shures are a bit bright for this. They'd work of course, but there are nicer mics. In my own dynamic collection, I've used an EV320 and of course some condensers - the oktava mk-319 is quite nice on lower make voices - quite warm. Both these are in the same budget area.

Thanks for your comments, Rob. You’ve hit on my thinking when considering this mic. The SM27’s flat frequency response makes it a jack-of-all-situations, master-of-none, for sure. That point is how I can justify the expense, since it could also mic my Martin acoustic and a small combo amp and probably do a very good job of both. For those not familiar with the SM27, it is a Large diaphragm mic and Rob’s point about small diaphragm condenser mics favouring higher frequencies is exactly one of the factors that got me considering the SM27. Here’s where it gets crazy, Rob and all. I already have a great dynamic mic for my baritone voice, an EV N/D767a, and wanted to add a more versatile condenser, since presently, the EV N/D767a is the only mic I have. I used a Shure SM57 for my vocals back in the 70s, and it worked well for me back then. But as I’ve aged, my voice has only deepened and I let the salesman talk me into the N/D767a, rather than purchase another SM 57. Turns out, he gave me great advice. That EV is a great mic in every way, except one, it’s too big around for a standard mic holder. When the original one was lost due to my mic stand being stolen on a load out, this limitation was a sore thumb for me, since I need my hands to play a guitar or piano. I’m going to check out those mics you recommend, Rob. Now you’ve got me thinking that a flat response mic might not be my best choice for my vocals. I’m bored of my sound through the EV and looking to see what fresh sound my baritone voice might project through another mic. Lastly, your point about dynamics doesn’t fit me, as I sing what the song requires, and I sing everything from ballads to songs where I’m really belting it out. But your point is a good one to keep in mind when mic shopping. Thanks, Rob! You got me thinking about this mic purchase more from a producer’s view than a singer’s view.

I think the flat response is as you mentioned the result of the smaller capsule - 24mm I think. If you go to the normal 'large' size capsules 34-35mm or so, their response tends to vary giving them sort of flavour. My impression is the 27 is perfectly capable, just a bit boring. Perhaps like the AKG 414 type sound, does most things well and isn't a flatterer?

On the EV front' if you liked that 767 why not just buy a radio mic clip - they're perfect for the job and inexpensive. if you like the sound, it's much cheaper and you can buy lots of clips!

I purchased 2 replacement EV mic clips years ago and have that old (discontinued EV N/D 767a) on a boom over my piano for vocals. I’m gonna take your suggestion and keep looking at LCDs with larger capsules than the Shure SM27. Thanks!

Probably any of the traditional German capsule design mics would be good choices - that more 'warm' less brittle sound. Even some of the Chinese ones at silly money may well be wort trying out - and you could resell them if you didn't like them - or of course buy from a dealer who do no fuss returns.

Probably any of the traditional German capsule design mics would be good choices - that more 'warm' less brittle sound. Even some of the Chinese ones at silly money may well be wort trying out - and you could resell them if you didn't like them - or of course buy from a dealer who do no fuss returns.
I bought an AKG P420 at a great sale price and a Shure Popper Stopper to go with it. They’re both working well for me.

At 1/5th the cost of a Neumann TLM102, it was too good a deal to pass up.

Glad to hear you're liking the P420. I thought seriously of picking one up (I've got a pair of P170s and like them fine). Since I already have a half dozen different LDCs, I passed it up, even though it was a really good sale price.

I think this is a really good example of how the Chinese can build mics worthy of the big names. This mic gets really good reviews and is a great price - so good that they don't bother to try to sell it in any other form. You would expect they'd make multi pattern mics, using the same capsules and electronics, but they can't. The parts and manufacturing cost means it's not an economic mic to make, and then sell cheaply. I'm told the very expensive pretend U87 mics are selling quite poorly - so I suspect they will vanish soon once the stock has been used up. If you want a cheap mic, China is the place to buy, but if you want a clever and expensive one, people would just buy from a brand from a home supplier. If the brand buy from China, with the quantities they need at a very specific quality and proper controls - nobody should worry.

I'd not considered the 420 before - somehow I'd missed it - but it seems to offer a lot, for quite a little.

Johne1 - once you are comfy with it, any chance of a little snippet recorded on your old EV and the new AKG, I'd find the comparison very interesting.

Glad to hear you're liking the P420. I thought seriously of picking one up (I've got a pair of P170s and like them fine). Since I already have a half dozen different LDCs, I passed it up, even though it was a really good sale price.
I can definitely recommend the AKG P420 to you, Rich. The only caveat is the power source. When I first plugged the P420 in it had no proximity and it just sounded weak. Knowing it needed 48V phantom power, I immediately turned my attention to the power source of my USB powered audio interface.

When I first started out in the home recording world I was using a computer. But then my computer died and I was stuck using an iPad, so I purchased a 4-port powered hub, without any knowledge that there are 2 main types of powered hubs on the market, 5V and 12V. And, of course, the ones with a few ports only use 5V 2-2.5A power supplies. Live and learn.

Since I had worked on old 6V cars in the 60s, I knew how little 5 volts really is and it occurred to me that it was asking too much of the audio interface to boost 5V to 48V, but seeing how pedalboard power supplies can boost voltage I was pretty sure it could convert 12V to 48V or close to it. So, I got a 12V 3A 7-port powered hub and BINGO!!, the P420 came to life!!! I am very happy to tell the group that this mic now sounds fantastic.

I think this is a really good example of how the Chinese can build mics worthy of the big names. This mic gets really good reviews and is a great price - so good that they don't bother to try to sell it in any other form. You would expect they'd make multi pattern mics, using the same capsules and electronics, but they can't. The parts and manufacturing cost means it's not an economic mic to make, and then sell cheaply. I'm told the very expensive pretend U87 mics are selling quite poorly - so I suspect they will vanish soon once the stock has been used up. If you want a cheap mic, China is the place to buy, but if you want a clever and expensive one, people would just buy from a brand from a home supplier. If the brand buy from China, with the quantities they need at a very specific quality and proper controls - nobody should worry.

I'd not considered the 420 before - somehow I'd missed it - but it seems to offer a lot, for quite a little.

Johne1 - once you are comfy with it, any chance of a little snippet recorded on your old EV and the new AKG, I'd find the comparison very interesting.
Sure, Rob, I‘d be happy to make a comparison recording. I’ll post it in this thread in a reply to you for all in this thread to check out. Give me a few days. I’m retired but I have my hands full caring for my COVID Long Haul lady and her dog. She was already handicapped before she caught COVID at the hospital, of all places. Who said God never gives us more than we can handle? Probably that guy, Murphy, of Murphy’s Laws. Lol

John

Yep - my elderly mum survived a heart attack, but while in hospital, she got covid and died. ironic when the place you have to go to get better becomes the place to avoid!

I'm quite interested in how your mic works with your range.

Yep - my elderly mum survived a heart attack, but while in hospital, she got covid and died. ironic when the place you have to go to get better becomes the place to avoid!

Oh my, Rob. That’s terrible. So sorry for your loss.

Bear with me as I wait a week for my next check and order another mic stand. Thanks for the nudge. I need another mic stand now, anyway.

The KSM 27 now SM27 is a 1inch Cardiod, it was called the Dixie Chic mic for some reason I cant recall, like a Studio Mic tough enough for LIVE.
Ive had a few and they are built really well. The KSM went for $80 used before the insane rise in prices. It was excellent for that price.

The con as mentioned in SOS and what I noticed is the pop was pretty plosive....but a simple foam cover made it another mic. Really nice and as most mics.

I love Shures KSM 27, 32, 44....the 32 has the smaller electreet the 27 and 44 the larger. The 44 has the LDC "sound" with some sparkle for vocals imo. The 27 was cheaper and with tiny eq could sound similar ....like most mics with eq.

All the KSM were built in US and pro level stuff, and because so many sold good deals on used if patient on fishing for one.

The KSM27 was a nice sensitivity for a DIY Home place with less than perfect noise issues. And do you use MultiPatterns? of the 44?

SM27 Ive never owned, the KSM 27 used , come with holder and box and velvet cover.... great mic at $100 ish in my "out of touch with inflation " pricing.

27 at $100....new $350...
32 at $200....new $600? .....
44 at $300 ......new $1000

Sorry for COVID loss ,

sounds like a P420 was chosen and high rated review!
The KSM 27 has a large proximity P popping issue without foam. I dont think Ive ever read anything bad about the P420. Good price too!, case and holder, Dual Capsule Multi Pattern..... 28mv/pa is pretty sensitve but you have the -20 db pad....

P420 seems to have it all, really.

AKG lists the P420 as an instrument mic, but I think it sounds good on vocals. See my reply to the post after yours where I share more details.

Sorry for the late response. Sudden medical issues have had me down.

PROBLEM: As for the P420, I ran into a problem right away—not with the mic, but with the Phantom power in my setup. I had all my USB devices, including a 2-channel USB powered audio interface, plugged into a 4-port powered hub that came with a 5V adaptor. The P420 is a power hungry mic requiring approximately 45-52V. I need the powered hub because I’ve been using an iPad since my old MacBook Pro died.

SOLUTION: A Sabrent 7-port powered hub that has a 12V power supply. I guess the audio interface could easily step 12V up to 48V phantom power. The mic came to life!

Bear with me a little bit longer and I’ll make the recordings.

Back