Connectivity Question

kesterdevine

Hi Everybody. I am hoping you guys can help me with this. I just got a Presonus BlueTube DP mic preamp. Here's what I want to do. I want to plug my guitar into it and split the signal sending one signal directly to my recorder and one signal to my guitar amp.

The preamp has balanced/unbalaned outs for each channel. One is TRS, one is XLR. I am not sure which output to send to which device and what kind of cables I should use to keep impedence right and connect each correctly.

Here's a link to the manual in case a anyone wants to check out the details: http://www.presonus.com/pdf/BlueTubeDPManual.pdf

Should I simply use a guitar cable out from the TRS jack to the amp? or should I use an XLR to hi-Z cable to the guitar amp, and send TRS-TRS to recorder. Or vise-versa?

Hope this makes sense and that some kind person out there can clarify this for me. I wrote to Presonus tech support but the e-mails keep bouncing back to me.

Thanks!

Yes, that's exactly what I mean - one guitar to input, and two lines out from the back from both outputs. Sorry I wasn't very clear. I want to record both signals - one direct in, and one by micing the amp. Thanks.

you cant do that with this.

each input has its own output. you can not plug into channel one and get a signal from the output of cahnnel 1 and 2.

the "Dual Path" only means you can switch between solid state or tube state, which i heard around here is not even a true tube pre.

sorry man. i have this unit as well, it would be cool if it would do this, but it doesnt.

Hey liv_rong, I think maybe this needs further investigation. I actually placed a phone call to tech support at Presonus before buying this unit and they confirmed that it could definitely be used this way. That was one of the factors in me choosing this model. There are two outputs for each channel, a TRS and an XLR. So...I'm really confused right now. Might have to call them back I guess. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

The easy way to do what you are trying is to use a splitter (A/B box) or other stereo splitter between the guitar and the pre/amp.

why dont you run the xlr to the mixer and the unbalanced 1/4" to your amp and try it?

you may be right. i havent looked at the back of mine for a while as i only use it for mics and they are always hooked up to the mixer, the cables i mean are always hooked up.

i was confused because i rembered the inputs are those nuetrik ones or whatever, i assumed the outputs were the same, my fault.

deffinetely send the balanced xlr to recorder though

Just to let you guys know...you can split the signal from one (or both) inputs and send to two separate pieces of gear, with this preamp... pretty cool feature! Thanks again for your responses.

Back