connecting monitors to computer

hollywoodending

I was wondering what is the best way to connect monitors to a computer. Should I just connect them into the sound card or is it better to connect the computer to a mixer and then to monitors? I feel dumb for asking but I can't find an answer anywhere. much thanks.

Depends on what you are doing. Generally, its better to go right into the soundcard (meaning decent soundcard, not Soundblaster, AC'97 or any other onboard sound) since you do not have worry about feedback loops which are pretty easy to get with a mixer setup.

If you have a solid grip on your mixers signal path, then plugging the monitors into the monitor/control room outs is fine

altitude909 said:
Depends on what you are doing. Generally, its better to go right into the soundcard (meaning decent soundcard, not Soundblaster, AC'97 or any other onboard sound) since you do not have worry about feedback loops which are pretty easy to get with a mixer setup.

If you have a solid grip on your mixers signal path, then plugging the monitors into the monitor/control room outs is fine

I have a Mackie 1202 VLZ that I have often thought about putting into my monitor chain. I currently monitor straight from the breakout box of my Terratec EWS88/MT. My only concern with that was that I might not hear the TRUE sound if I was going through the Mackie....what are your thoughts on that???

With a performance analog mixer like that, it really should be pretty transparent. I would still keep them plugged into the soundcard though, getting decent routing out of those for a DAW front end can be tricky. The only two mixers I have used that actually had very good routing features for a DAW front end were A&H and soundcraft

thajeremy said:
I have a Mackie 1202 VLZ that I have often thought about putting into my monitor chain. I currently monitor straight from the breakout box of my Terratec EWS88/MT. My only concern with that was that I might not hear the TRUE sound if I was going through the Mackie....what are your thoughts on that???

Do an a/b comparison with and without the mixer. Find some music that you're very familiar with and take notes while comparing.

Back