connecting external compressor-limiter

threshhold2

I connected an external compressor/limiter to my soundcard----are there any settings i have to change in my ADOBE AUDITION in order for it to "communicate" with the compressor?

threshhold2 said:
I connected an external compressor/limiter to my soundcard----are there any settings i have to change in my ADOBE AUDITION in order for it to "communicate" with the compressor?

Hi,
an external sound card connected to an external mixing desk connected to your external compressor may just do it!!

I'm sure you'll want to control your compressor and where it's routed properly? Or do you wish to compress everything that goes in/out of your sound card??

Regards,
Spit.

Or, if your soundcard has a built-in mixer, you won't have to buy an external mixer. Built-in's a lot cheaper than external. lol

Which is it?

dobro said:
Or, if your soundcard has a built-in mixer, you won't have to buy an external mixer. Built-in's a lot cheaper than external. lol

Which is it?

sorry Dobro, I wasn't thinking 'price'....anyways, that'd be fine too.
Personally, I couldn't go that way again though!!...I bet you wouldn't either?? :)
Cheers mate,
Spit.

I'd like to be able to mix out-of-the-box too. Would it be best to get a control surface to control the volume/pan faders on the software? Or get an actual mixer and use it to do the mixing/summing?

Don't want to hijack the thread just thought I'd post it here.

danny.guitar said:
I'd like to be able to mix out-of-the-box too. Would it be best to get a control surface to control the volume/pan faders on the software? Or get an actual mixer and use it to do the mixing/summing?

Hey Danny, been a while mate,
I believe that FLEXIBILITY and CHOICE (not withstanding the price) is the key here.
I still use my CE Pro 's/w desk' to do a lot of the 'fine' adjustments in levels, and use my mixer on 'finals', routed from CEP to different sound cards (10 outputs) to the desk....that way I can use my external fx/comp/master eq etc on the final stereo mix.....
I may have 20 tracks, I would send many of them onto a stereo group to my desk, but still have full seperate track control via the software.
Stuff like vox, lead guitar, drums (stereo to desk), bass have their own individual 'slider' on the desk. (the 'important' stuff!)

So I only have 10 outputs, but with 'stereo grouping', that's all I'll ever need.

I guess it's this 'hybrid' system that I like...and will continue to use....it seems to give me more of an 'analog' sound..I find...which suits my style very well.
Anyways...rock on!
Superspit.

Attachments

• spit messy studio sml.jpg
    spit messy studio sml.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 31
danny.guitar said:

From what I've heard, there are about twelve different ways to record and mix these days, and that's just the beginning. To answer somebody's question about how to go about doing what they want to achieve, you need to know what gear they've got already, and how much they now, and how much they're willing to spend. Then, IF YOU'VE GOT A TON OF EXPERIENCE WITH DIFFERENT SOFTWARES AND HARDWARES, you're in a position to advise them. Otherwise, not, right?

dobro said:
From what I've heard, there are about twelve different ways to record and mix these days, and that's just the beginning. To answer somebody's question about how to go about doing what they want to achieve, you need to know what gear they've got already, and how much they now, and how much they're willing to spend. Then, IF YOU'VE GOT A TON OF EXPERIENCE WITH DIFFERENT SOFTWARES AND HARDWARES, you're in a position to advise them. Otherwise, not, right?

Hi Dobro and all...
Thank goodness we can all share 'what we know' and 'what we like', and not have to worry about ever being wrong..... :)
If you can get something to work well for you, regardless of 'text book' rules and equipment type, then you're doing well.
Now, where's that stereo tape recorder gone to!!! :rolleyes:
Regards,
Spit

threshhold2 said:
Did you get your question answered?
I was curious to know what you meant by 'communicate with the comp. Besides the D/A and A/D conversion?
Wayne

Hello there friends... i do have same situation as the friend threshhold2... I have motu ultralite mk1 soundcard with 10 i/o and a behringer mdx1400 audio interactive dynamic provessor known as compressor/limiter... dont have the mixing board simply because my sound card has a built in mixer and i dont need one... so now i need an explanation on how to connect my compressor to my soundcard so that i can compress everything that comes in or out the soundcard, so like my final mix that i did in cubase... and yes how do i route it to main master in cubase? please helpppppp!:-)) Thanx so much people... :-))) Greetings from Serbia

Back