CONNECTING A REGULAR MIXER TO A USB PC

JEANIE DIXON

Hi. I'm new...I'm Jeanie...
I'm trying to connect a mixer that I recently got back from a friend who didn't use it and I have a different pc. I have a BEHRINGER XENYX 1202 FX. All she gave me was the power cord. I think there is a small box missing that a red and black cord used to plug into if memory serves me. The problem is I have a different pc...it's a usb pc. Can someone tell me what cords and supplies I need to connect this mixer to a usb pc?? Also my mic is usb. When I had it before I had a mic with a standard stereo plug. I'm totally lost now. I've looked for videos but none seem to be addressing the parts that I need. Please help!! Thanks in advance!! Oh, I do have Audacity downloaded, if that matters? I'll be using the mixer to sing with a website called singsnap. Don't think that matters for this post.
Thanks in advance,
Jeanie

Most likely you need a USB audio interface to connect the mixer. Depending on the interface and how you like to record, it might completely replace the mixer. The USB mic may not get along with the interface, but you could try it. You will probably be better off with a proper mic that uses an XLR cable into the mixer.

I'f you give us an idea of what you're trying to do, we can give more specific advice.

Concur. Mixer analogue into an interface and buy a proper mic. Usb mics great for a VERY limited number of things. My advice is always the same. If you need to record more than one source at a time, USB becomes a problem. Have you noticed that we have had them for twenty years now, yet nobody makes a mixer that combines them. Never seen a mixer with 6 USB ins and a USB out. Your little mixer may have had at some point a small interface attached? This would be what was on the red and white cables?

Where in the world are you Jeanie Dixon? If UK I might have some redundant kit that can help you out.

The issue with the mixer and PC could be fixed with a small cheap converter from Behringer, the UCA 202 (aka UCA 222) This takes RCA "phono" connections to and from the mixer and then connects via USB to your PC. Not THE most high quality system but actually better than cassette ever was if you set it up right...can help with that.

The USB mic, as Rob has said is limited in its use although usually WAY better than the ones built into laptops for Skyping etc. Depending upon the sort of music you sing a dynamic mic such as the Shure SM58 might suite for close up 'belting it out' stuff but if you sing soft, lilting Irish ballads, a large diaphragm capacitor (aka "condenser" by old people!) will serve you better. Both these type connect to your mixer or, if you get one, a better Audio Interface with an "XLR microphone cable" Google will show you tons, they are not expensive £10 for a 2mtr one is about right.

You have dived into a rather technical 'pool' here Jeanie with a lot of jargon but I am sure we can get you recording very soon. There will be stuff to buy so a budget would be a big help.

Ooops! Forgot, old see! Are you sure there is not a USB socket on that mixer? It will not look like the ones on your PC. Google "USB B".

Dave.

alt=

I looked at singsnap - you don't need all this mixer stuff, you just need headphones and a mic your computer will accept - this is one example of where a USB mic (which I never recommend) would be the easiest. Plug it into your computer, stick the headphones in - look at the camera and sing. There are some good things on there, but soooooooo much absolutely awful stuff.

If that is what you want to do, you don;t need to understand recording, or have clever gear - it's a sort of social media karaoke. Many of the tracks are decent quality. I have no idea at all how they get away with the copyright issues involved. Lots of this is going to upset Youtube - but the stuff on their own site is their problem. They must be getting revenue somehow, but I'm not sure how?

I looked at singsnap - you don't need all this mixer stuff, you just need headphones and a mic your computer will accept - this is one example of where a USB mic (which I never recommend) would be the easiest. Plug it into your computer, stick the headphones in - look at the camera and sing. There are some good things on there, but soooooooo much absolutely awful stuff.

If that is what you want to do, you don;t need to understand recording, or have clever gear - it's a sort of social media karaoke. Many of the tracks are decent quality. I have no idea at all how they get away with the copyright issues involved. Lots of this is going to upset Youtube - but the stuff on their own site is their problem. They must be getting revenue somehow, but I'm not sure how?
I shall have a look at that after brekky Rob.

Dave.

View attachment 140668This picture is of an SFX....mine is an FX. It does not look like that on the back. It only has the power connection hole. It has 4 channels for microphones, all with 3 possible microphone connections, the 3 prong microphone connections, the jack plug size, and the jack plug with a 3.5 mm converter inside it. I hope that makes sense without taking a picture. No were is there a usb connector. However, I'm wondering if I can connect the Line in, Line out to the pc...one to the mic and one to the headphone 3.5 mm connections?? And if you ever sang on Singsnap with their mixer you would understand why I'm trying to get this mixer to work Rob. Their mixer is horrible. I would like to add a little depth and reverb to my voice and I know this mixer can do that if I can just get it working on my system. That is the question. If needs be I shall take a picture of this. Thanks for answering!!!
And I am from Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain........

They charge a monthly fee to belong to singsnap and you have thousands of songs to choose from to make videos with or just sing with. 15.00 per month or 150.00 per year. That's how they make money. As far as the copywrite...i don't know how they get away with it...but they have their community song book where the members upload songs...maybe they pass it off that the members uploaded the songs???? i really don't know. the only competition they have is Smule.com. and that is an app for your phone. I hate it. My opinion only. They pretty well have the corner on the karaoke business. So they're making money. And yes some of it is awful stuff but who am I to tell someone that they sound awful?? it's a place to sing if you love to sing!!! A community of song lovers. We're not there trying to out do each other. If we were all singers we'd be on stage making big bucks not singing on some horrible singing app. It's a great community of friends from all over the world. I've made some life long friends there. If you like to sing you should try it!!! I used to be in a band many moons ago and I miss that. I'm too old for it now but this gives me a chance to get with like minded people and sing duets or join in a contest etc etc etc. I'll stop rambling. You get my drift. Thanks for your input!!
Jeanie

Most likely you need a USB audio interface to connect the mixer. Depending on the interface and how you like to record, it might completely replace the mixer. The USB mic may not get along with the interface, but you could try it. You will probably be better off with a proper mic that uses an XLR cable into the mixer.

I'f you give us an idea of what you're trying to do, we can give more specific advice.
I'm trying to get reverb and bass into my voice when I sing on a specific karaoke website. I used to use it when I had a different pc and had a Shure mic and everything hooked up like it was supposed to. I no longer have that pc. Now all I have is a usb pc and a usb mic. I know, I know...it's bad but all I could afford being widowed. So I have to deal with it. I hope that answers your question.
Jeanie

And I am from Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain........
Ah, sorry too far away. However I have the manual for that mixer and in fact I have the identical model here except mine does not have the effects in it.
Now, there IS a way to get a USB mic 'out' of the PC, route it to the mixer, apply effects and then route it back in but it is complex, needs some more kit and cables and I doubt I could explain it all to you over the forum. To add to the difficulty I do not have any effects!

You can stay with the USB mic and not use the mixer or, get an interface and a microphone that will plug into the mixer i.e. with an XLR cable. You can buy a very serviceable dynamic mic these days for $25 but of course the sky is the limit. Better vocal quality is usually got from a capacitor microphone and anything decent is $100+. One that is very good for the money is the Mackie EM-91c. Interfaces? Does not really matter but you do really want TWO mic inputs, seems paradoxical I know but bear with!

Dave.

I'm trying to get reverb and bass into my voice when I sing on a specific karaoke website. I used to use it when I had a different pc and had a Shure mic and everything hooked up like it was supposed to. I no longer have that pc. Now all I have is a usb pc and a usb mic. I know, I know...it's bad but all I could afford being widowed. So I have to deal with it. I hope that answers your question.
Jeanie
OK, You can record the USB mic in Audacity and my version of that DAW shows an equalizer, T&B so you could add that post recording. Reverb no because the effect is greyed out in my copy but you might have it or someone here could tell you how to activate it?
Or, download the free (till the guilt kicks in) Reaper. Quite a learning curve but that has all the effects you could ever want. And yes, the mixer will be redundant but who knows. might be useful one day?

Dave.

To use that website you don;t need to be clever. It seems to add reverb to everyone from what I can hear. QUESTION - have you uploaded any stuff so far? Is it doing what you want with your pc and USB mic? If it is, I'd question if it's worth getting a cleverer system. If you wanted to record the end product and make it nicer, then you spend a bit. Most of those recordings seem to be upload a voice and they adjust the level and the fx? Is there even an option for you using a mixer, a mic, doing EQ and effects if they're just going to mess with it.

Hi. I'm new...I'm Jeanie...
I'm trying to connect a mixer that I recently got back from a friend who didn't use it and I have a different pc. I have a BEHRINGER XENYX 1202 FX. All she gave me was the power cord. I think there is a small box missing that a red and black cord used to plug into if memory serves me. The problem is I have a different pc...it's a usb pc. Can someone tell me what cords and supplies I need to connect this mixer to a usb pc?? Also my mic is usb. When I had it before I had a mic with a standard stereo plug. I'm totally lost now. I've looked for videos but none seem to be addressing the parts that I need. Please help!! Thanks in advance!! Oh, I do have Audacity downloaded, if that matters? I'll be using the mixer to sing with a website called singsnap. Don't think that matters for this post.
Thanks in advance,
Jeanie
What is a USB PC? A PC with USB Inputs only? Anyway you plug the Mic in via the USB and you are done - If using Audacity you choose Audio Preferences and pick the mic as your recording device - there is no way to connect your Mixer via USB -it doesn’t have a USB interface - however you can guy a used Behringer U-Phoria UM2 Audio Interface for about $25 - then you can use you mixer/

Attachments

• Image 6-22-24 at 10.00 AM.webp
    Image 6-22-24 at 10.00 AM.webp
    60 KB · Views: 5
With the greatest respect Mr P no. The lady really needs an interface with two identical inputs. The UMC 202 will suffice but I have seen the Native Instruments KA2 for £88 and that is a BIG step up.

Dave.

I listen to four singers and could not stand any more!

Dave.
I'm sorry you had that experience....you listened to the wrong 4 singers is all I can say!!! There are hundreds of people on that site and dozens and dozens of very good singers. If you go back you need to look for those with the most listens...the most comments. Of course there are some that get pity comments because they are great people or they have a terminal disease and such, you get my drift. But there is some real talent on that site. If everyone was bad I wouldn't be there!!! Myself, I am into harmony and hang with a crowd of like singers. We like to do duets and trio's. And as for adding the effects AFTER I sing...that really isn't what I'm after. This might sound odd to you but if I hear my voice with good effects on it, I sing better. I have a torn vocal chord and struggle a bit now and when I have effects on my voice it gives me back what I've lost somehow. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. I've sang on a friends mic with effects thru a mixer and the difference for me was phenomenal. I can't explain it, I only know it's my mission to get it now. Here is a link to a trio created with a friend of mine. I'm doing 2 harmony parts to his lead. SONG FOR A WINTER'S NIGHT

I'm sorry you had that experience....you listened to the wrong 4 singers is all I can say!!! There are hundreds of people on that site and dozens and dozens of very good singers. If you go back you need to look for those with the most listens...the most comments. Of course there are some that get pity comments because they are great people or they have a terminal disease and such, you get my drift. But there is some real talent on that site. If everyone was bad I wouldn't be there!!! Myself, I am into harmony and hang with a crowd of like singers. We like to do duets and trio's. And as for adding the effects AFTER I sing...that really isn't what I'm after. This might sound odd to you but if I hear my voice with good effects on it, I sing better. I have a torn vocal chord and struggle a bit now and when I have effects on my voice it gives me back what I've lost somehow. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. I've sang on a friends mic with effects thru a mixer and the difference for me was phenomenal. I can't explain it, I only know it's my mission to get it now. Here is a link to a trio created with a friend of mine. I'm doing 2 harmony parts to his lead. SONG FOR A WINTER'S NIGHT
WELL...even if you didn't like that one there are better singers than us on there! hahaha! Silence is golden!!! have a great day and thanks for all of your attempts to get me where I want to be with my problem.
Jeanie

They charge a monthly fee to belong to singsnap and you have thousands of songs to choose from to make videos with or just sing with. 15.00 per month or 150.00 per year. That's how they make money. As far as the copywrite...i don't know how they get away with it...but they have their community song book where the members upload songs...maybe they pass it off that the members uploaded the songs???? i really don't know. the only competition they have is Smule.com. and that is an app for your phone. I hate it. My opinion only. They pretty well have the corner on the karaoke business. So they're making money. And yes some of it is awful stuff but who am I to tell someone that they sound awful?? it's a place to sing if you love to sing!!! A community of song lovers. We're not there trying to out do each other. If we were all singers we'd be on stage making big bucks not singing on some horrible singing app. It's a great community of friends from all over the world. I've made some life long friends there. If you like to sing you should try it!!! I used to be in a band many moons ago and I miss that. I'm too old for it now but this gives me a chance to get with like minded people and sing duets or join in a contest etc etc etc. I'll stop rambling. You get my drift. Thanks for your input!!
Jeanie
You're never too old to be in a band--I'm 67, and produce and am in a band. We don't play out, but it's a band, and I have a studio.

You're never too old to be in a band--I'm 67, and produce and am in a band. We don't play out, but it's a band, and I have a studio.
I agree with you. I have a friend in NY who is 73 in a band and they play every weekend and make good money...they're called ''One Swift Kick''. A four piece band and all 4 of them sing and can sing harmony. I'm 69 and with my fibromyalgia and replaced hip couldn't stand on a stage for any length of time and there's that problem with my limited range because of the torn vocal chord. Somedays I can sing high, other days I can't. So I am not a good candidate for a band although a band that doesn't play out would be great! I used to play rhythm guitar but I have osteo arthritis in my left arm and wrist and can't grip the neck anymore. So I've just given in to what I'm allowed to do, since no one around here has a band. I live in a small gated community and most everyone likes to keep to themselves. I wouldn't have chosen this for me, but my husband did. He died a year and a half ago and I'm afraid I'm here for at least another year. Complicated rules of my re-finance on the house. Nothing easy about my life lol. I think everyone in here is wonderful for trying to help me hook this mixer up but it looks like I am out of luck. This pc was actually my deceased husbands. Mine is a gaming pc and it too is all usb ports. The one I had before it was the one that had the hookups that fit that mixer. I had quit singsnap because of the torn vocal chord and only recently returned and thought I'd give it a shot trying to hook it up. So I guess this is where I exit stage left. Thanks everyone...this newb is leaving.... sorry to say goodbye. You all tried!!
Cheers!!!
Jeanie

Back