Connecting a dynamic mic to PC without interface

Owais

Hey guys, can I connect a dynamic mic (samson r21s) directly to my PC through an xlr to 3.5mm cable? I'm using the mic for youtube videos, so I don't really want perfect audio as you'd want on a podcast, but I'm hoping to get a decent sound quality.

This mic (samson r21s) comes with an xlr to 1/4" adapter along with a 1/4" to 3.5 mm jack, can I plug it into my PC?

PS please don't recommend to "just get an interface" because I just don't have the budget for it right now :)

I can with my laptop, but for recording a voice for music it isn't the greatest quality, but for You Tube videos I think it would suffice for now. You would plug yours into the "mic in" jack on the soundcard.

Last edited:
Hey guys, can I connect a dynamic mic (samson r21s) directly to my PC through an xlr to 3.5mm cable? I'm using the mic for youtube videos, so I don't really want perfect audio as you'd want on a podcast, but I'm hoping to get a decent sound quality.

This mic (samson r21s) comes with an xlr to 1/4" adapter along with a 1/4" to 3.5 mm jack, can I plug it into my PC?

PS please don't recommend to "just get an interface" because I just don't have the budget for it right now :)
You can - but it won't sound good or it might considering they include the adaptor.

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/3...PING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!490691434445!!!network}!370085954770!&gclid=CjwKCAjw7--KBhAMEiwAxfpkWH4Hg-s43ea5tuveymAxIJYVzVKWoyCosl0y0V2HYOUDiR9a-8nYOBoCHe4QAvD_BwE

One of the above will give you up to 20dB more signal and get over the soundcard noise better. As has been said, ad hoc connections of mics can screw the frequency response but, any port??

That CPC traff exits on a 1/4" jack so you will need a jack to mini jack cable, cheap enough on Amazon, they also do the transformers but seem to be out of stock atmo.

Dave.

Back