Condensor Mic cutting in and out/Peaking and then acting quiet...

thecolorofdave

Hi,

Ive got an older Rode NT-1, it was working great for a long time. I've had it over 5 years.. as of late its been acting up. When i plug it into my pre, it works for a few seconds, and then peaks very loudly (in which I have to readjust my pre input and output), and then turns very quiet again, or cuts out entirely for a few seconds and then repeats a similar pattern.

Has anyone come across such an issue with your own condenser mic before? How can i fix this?

I know it is the mic because I tried out a few other microphones through the Pre with success.

Cheers

Contact the Rode service department, they will tell you what is wrong, and quite often fix it under warranty even if it is many years old. The best service department I have ever dealt with.

I don't know which country you are in but in Australia (where Rode is based) it is here: RØDE Microphones - Contact

Alan.

Thanks for the responses guys - I'm in Canada, I've emailed RODE; the HQ here in Canada regarding the issue, waiting to hear back.

If the capacitor is dried out, would this be an easy fix I could do myself, or would I be better off sending it away to a repair shop?

Mark; high humidity during the summers, im in Ontario, Canada. Perhaps this could have caused it, however it has been working fine over the course of 5+ years, it was only within the last 6 months that it started acting up.

Cheers

Thanks for the responses guys - I'm in Canada, I've emailed RODE; the HQ here in Canada regarding the issue, waiting to hear back.

If the capacitor is dried out, would this be an easy fix I could do myself, or would I be better off sending it away to a repair shop?

Mark; high humidity during the summers, im in Ontario, Canada. Perhaps this could have caused it, however it has been working fine over the course of 5+ years, it was only within the last 6 months that it started acting up.

Cheers

Replacing the cap might be a simple enough job if you are good at soldering. Capacitors usually charge up and hold a charge so all that is needed to the initial charge up and once that is done it is just a matter of keeping in charged. When Caps go bad they just get to where they no longer hold a charge so there is this cycle of charge up followed by the cap discharging followed by another round. When I replace a cap I ALWAYS upgrade the quality of the component. Rode is a good product but after years of a cap having to hold a charge they just get to where they can't anymore. My father threw an old Epiphone Electar amp in the trash and replaced it with a solid state Vox....just because he didn't want to pay for tubes!

You have a gem well worth repairing.

Back