Condenser Mic For About 100$ - Which One Should I Get?

ThoriumEx

Hey guys,
I currently own a Shure SM57 and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

And I want to get a condenser mic for about 100$, mainly for vocals, probably dirty vocals most of the time.
I want it to sound detailed, smooth and rich. And probably very different from my SM57. Don't want it to sound thin and harsh (of course).

I found a few mics that can fit my needs but I don't know which one should I go for:
Audio Technica AT2020
AKG P120 (The new, black version)
SE Electronics Magneto
MXL 2008/2006 (What the hell is the difference??)
MXL V67G

Now here's what I think about each one of them
AT2020: Smallest diaphragm of the bunch (might not be detailed enough?), weird pointy/shaky/un-smooth eq curve (might sound unnatural?).

P120: Has a nice high-end boost and a natural bass roll-off (even with the switch off), which might sound clear and airy or maybe just thin instead... Has a -20db pad switch and a 300Hz bass roll-off switch which are both nice.

Magneto: Most expensive of the list, barely found info on it, diaphragm described as "large" but no exact size. Sound pretty crisp on the Andertons review.

MXL 2008/2006: Don't know what is the difference between them, they seem identical to me. Large diaphragm (which is good for a detailed vocals sound?). Pretty big boost on the high-end, which again might sound airy or thin... Pretty wide polar pattern which is bad for my untreated room. Comes with a very nice case and shockmount.

MXL V67G: From what I understand it was a 200$ mic that got priced down to 100$? Supposedly designed for vocals and has a warm sound? Pretty flat eq curve (which maybe is a good thing?). Also large diaphragm and wide polar pattern like the other MXL's, but comes with "worse" accessories. Super ugly :(

Does anyone has some experience with those mics?
Or maybe can help me choose one according to the specs
?

Thanks!

I've got an AT2020 and the MXL v67G. For vocals my choice would be the v67G. The AT2020 for me seems a bit thin. The v67G is a bit smoother, which I think is from being a transformer coupled mic. The MXL-57 shockmount for the v67G runs about $30, but perhaps a generic shockmount that fits might be found for less.
Thanks for the input!
How big is the difference between them? Is the MXL more detailed on the high-end?
Do you happen to have a comparison recording?

I am mixing an album right now where the vocals were tracked with a V67. I have hardly been touching the EQ.

I am mixing an album right now where the vocals were tracked with a V67. I have hardly been touching the EQ.
Great!
May I ask which kind of vocals?
Also, how does it react when boosting very high frequencies to get some "air"? Some say it works great and some say it gets thin...

The AT2020 might be a bit more "detailed", but the v67G seems to do it with more smoothness. You won't really know until you try one with your own voice whether it fits you or not. The AT2020 to me is more of a general purpose mic that tries to do a lot, vocals and instruments. The v67G seems more targeted at vocals.

Sample clips........

v67G....
MXL V67G Studio Condenser Microphone at FrontEndAudio.com

At2020...
Audio Technica AT2020 Condenser Microphone

Clipalator Audio and Video for Pro Audio Gear @ ZenPro Audio

Microphone Clips and Audio Samples at StudioAuditions.com

Information....
Microphone Database | RecordingHacks.com

If you're in no particular hurry, possibly a used mic could get a better mic at a saving. I've bought a couple used mics from the retailer below and been satisfied with what I got....
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...294246784&view=GRID&setIPP=100&srtclk=itemspp
Thank you very much!
It's really great that the recordings are the same, the V67G sounds much better.
Right now it looks like its my favorite.

I actually am in a hurry and I can't buy used as well, but that's fine I'll just get a brand new one.

I came across another MXL mic, the 2003A.
From what I understand it's also flat and similar to the V67G, but a bit clearer/brighter?
It's more expensive but it has a 150Hz bass roll off switch, and a -10db pad switch, which are always good. And it comes with a shockmount that I'll probably have to get anyway.
Also, it will save me the depression of buying a super ugly mic ;)
So I think I'm willing to spend more for this mic.

Does anyone have some experience with it?

Another question is does a U87 style mic (like the MXL's) even sounds good with dirty vocals?

Last edited:
When comparing the AT2020 to the V67, the 2020 has a 3/4" diaphragm (actually more like 5/8") and the V67 a 1.26", this is the reason the 2020 sounds a bit on the thin side when compared, but this is also a useful thing in some situations.

Alan.

When comparing the AT2020 to the V67, the 2020 has a 3/4" diaphragm (actually more like 5/8") and the V67 a 1.26", this is the reason the 2020 sounds a bit on the thin side when compared, but this is also a useful thing in some situations.

Alan.
Thanks Alan.
Does larger diaphragm means more detailed nuances?

Thanks Alan.
Does larger diaphragm means more detailed nuances?

This discussion will open a can of worms, a lot of the mic sound comes from the design and quality build. Generally the larger diaphragms have a fuller sound through the mid to low frequency ranges and the smaller diaphragms give a better top end detail. That said some better quality large diagram mics give great top end detail and some poor quality small diaphragm mics give terrible high end detail. Microphones are really horses for courses and some sound better on some things than others, that is why studios have so many mics on hand.

If the price is right I would get the v67 before the 2020, but the 2020 for the price is very good.

Alan.

This discussion will open a can of worms, a lot of the mic sound comes from the design and quality build. Generally the larger diaphragms have a fuller sound through the mid to low frequency ranges and the smaller diaphragms give a better top end detail. That said some better quality large diagram mics give great top end detail and some poor quality small diaphragm mics give terrible high end detail. Microphones are really horses for courses and some sound better on some things than others, that is why studios have so many mics on hand.

If the price is right I would get the v67 before the 2020, but the 2020 for the price is very good.

Alan.
Yeah of course one statement isn't going to apply 100% of the times.
But it seems that the general "rule" was the opposite of what I thought.
Do you have any experience with some of the other mics that I mentioned? Especially the MXL 2003A.

I guess if you had the $$$ this one wouldn't be one of your choices...... :D
AKG C12 VR | Sweetwater.com
Lol! I would pay to NOT have this mic!

There's an endorsement for the v67G towards the end of this video....

Well this guy talks exactly about what I was talking about.
I am afraid to get an unusable thin sounding condenser, like he said.
If he likes the V67G then I guess its really better than the others and I don't have to be afraid for it to sound thin on the high-end.
Now the question is does the 2003A better than (or at least as good as) the V67G...
Technically they are both pretty similar (Capsule, diaphragm size, eq curve), and the 2003A is more expensive.
I prefer to invest the extra 50$ for the -10db pad swtich, the bass roll-off switch, the included shockmount, and the much better looks.

The V67 is a very commonly recommended LDC in the price range you're asking about. Tons of people have them. I have one and used it for quite a while (before I got better mics) as my main LDC vocal mic. It's nicely clear.........smooth in the mid range........and will get more top end "air" then many LDC's but that can be where you could experience problems depending on your voice........proximity.......environment......and vocal style. As you already can see........no one can definitively say this mic or that mic is better for you. You need to use one in your environment to know for sure.

The V67 is a very commonly recommended LDC in the price range you're asking about. Tons of people have them. I have one and used it for quite a while (before I got better mics) as my main LDC vocal mic. It's nicely clear.........smooth in the mid range........and will get more top end "air" then many LDC's but that can be where you could experience problems depending on your voice........proximity.......environment......and vocal style. As you already can see........no one can definitively say this mic or that mic is better for you. You need to use one in your environment to know for sure.
Yeah of course you can't know what mic will work best for me, I would like to know some general feedback on these mics since I can't try them.

Gray duct tape could cover up that gaudy bright green body color and a black foam wind screen could hide that garish gold grille. It would then be a workhorse of a mic to be proud of :thumbs up:
Actually I don't mind the gold.
I think it would look amazing with white instead of green!

I'd just like to say that I own two AKG P120's. And These are GREAT mics! I use them for vocals, overheads for my drums and for recording acoustic guitar. I might not be the most experienced guy as far as mics are concerned but in my limited experience, the P120'a are wonderful! :)

MXL9090: This is essentially a V67i, a dual-capsule version of the V67g, without the gold-and-green cosmetics but it does have a pad and a high-pass filter (roll-off switch). It now costs as much as a V67i but it used to be available for less than a V67g! I have a V67g and a pair of these (and a JoeMeek JM47, which is said by some to be a plain but more expensive version of the V67g). You would get a lot more use out of the 9090 than either the V67g or the AT2020 because of its features and its response option.

https://reverb.com/item/760617-mxl-...r-microphone-w-case-excellent-condition-29093

Good luck,
Paj
8^)

MXL9090: This is essentially a V67i, a dual-capsule version of the V67g, without the gold-and-green cosmetics but it does have a pad and a high-pass filter (roll-off switch). It now costs as much as a V67i but it used to be available for less than a V67g! I have a V67g and a pair of these (and a JoeMeek JM47, which is said by some to be a plain but more expensive version of the V67g). You would get a lot more use out of the 9090 than either the V67g or the AT2020 because of its features and its response option.

https://reverb.com/item/760617-mxl-...r-microphone-w-case-excellent-condition-29093

Good luck,
Paj
8^)
Looks really cool!
But can I find a brand new one? (I can't buy used)
Thanks

Funny I am eyeing up a V67Q, which is a stereo version with 2 x 22mm diaphragms in an XY pattern. Thinking of using it as a single point drum overhead.

Anyone tried one?

Alan.

I'd just like to say that I own two AKG P120's. And These are GREAT mics! I use them for vocals, overheads for my drums and for recording acoustic guitar. I might not be the most experienced guy as far as mics are concerned but in my limited experience, the P120'a are wonderful! :)
Thanks!

Looks really cool!
But can I find a brand new one? (I can't buy used)
Thanks

I don't see any vendors selling it new at ~$100. BTW, don't confuse the 9090 with the MXL 990, an obviously popular mike which I was personally disappointed with (gave one away, keep one to remind me of why I don't like it, like for the upcoming flaming response I'm likely to get for saying this).

You might want to take a look at the Nady SCM960, a $60 sleeper that is essentially a rebadged version of the JoeMeek JM37DP (I have a pair of each). It punches above its weight.

I do like the noise spec on the SE Magneto (which, btw, comes in purple), but I don't have any experience with the mic.

I think that the AKG P-series mics are good performers and a bargain.

Will the Blue Spark go on sale for $100 at GuitarCenter again this summer?

You know what---I should probably stop. I don't think I'm helping the situation!

Again, good luck and be happy,
Paj
8^)

My general understanding is that SDCs have two important qualities: they are generally more neutral than LDCs (note their use as test microphones), and the extremely low mass of the diaphragm makes them extremely capable of handling transients.

LDCs are more likely to add a particular to the sound, which will be advantageous in some situations, but not in others.

Back