Computer troubles after stand by

jamtheguitarman

If i put my computer onto stand by and then take it off and try to load up a project in Cubase or load a sample in a standalone player, everything jams up and i have to hit the restart button.

anyone know why this is?

cheers

ez_willis said:
Not sure, but you could adjust the settings to prevent it from going into standby mode.
Word!If you aren't concerned with the energy used in keeping your DAW powered up all the time, just shut that shit off.Not just the computer, but the monitor, also.
I used to hear horror stories about leaving your monitor on 24/7 with no screensaver or power saving, but I've left my desktop, or whatever software was open, on for hours and hours without the phosphorus burn or whatever is supposed to be so scary causing any noticeable harm.

Screen burn in doesn't happen anymore. Monitors are a bit beyond that now. It certainly doesn't affect anything but CRT monitors, and only old ones at that. Screensavers don't really actually provide much in the way of a safety function anymore unless you have a really old monitor. They merely function as one of those useless pretty things that everyone thinks is really important.

well i switch the pc on in the moring, sometimes its sitting there all day without being used. Putting it on stand by seems like a good idea.

jamtheguitarman said:
well i switch the pc on in the moring, sometimes its sitting there all day without being used. Putting it on stand by seems like a good idea.

Yeah, for people who surf the web or use MS Office...

You're not a typical user and in this case it is NOT a good idea.

None or my systems at home or in the office are ever allowed to go into stand by. It is not worth the hassle.

brzilian said:
Yeah, for people who surf the web or use MS Office...

You're not a typical user and in this case it is NOT a good idea.

None or my systems at home or in the office are ever allowed to go into stand by. It is not worth the hassle.

ok, care to explain why?

most apps like cubase and pro tools specify that you should turn off all energy saving functions, including standby etc.

if you want it off, turn it off. otherwise, just leave it on and turn off the monitor or somethin.

jamtheguitarman said:

if it's sitting there without being used, why switch it on at all?

i pefer the.....i'm using it switch it on , i'm not using it turn it all off :D

if i was back at my mum and dads i'd leave it on :D but when you have to pay the bills you turn everything off !!! turn the light out and shut the doors :(

man i sound like my dad !! :D

The thing is, i was under the impression its better to leave computers on all day than to turn them on and off, at what frequency i don't know though.

jamtheguitarman said:
The thing is, i was under the impression its better to leave computers on all day than to turn them on and off, at what frequency i don't know though.

That's up for debate.

On one hand, you'll save a bit of electricity/money by turning it off. On the other hand, the money you saved by turning it on and off all the time will be spent replacing your hard drive that failed early because it was being turned on and off constantly. :)

Flip a coin.

If I were you, I'd leave it on and not let it enter standby mode.

No one I know uses system stand by for their DAW's or even production PC's here at work. Mainly because it never works right and seems to cause instability......

jamtheguitarman said:

In general. Tests have shown that turning off and on a computer takes more energy than to run it in a low energy mode. These tests have generally be run overnight, so if you're gone for much longer than 8 hours, you might as well shut down.

jamtheguitarman said:

Stay under that impression. When electrical current is stopped, the circuitry becomes unused right... when you turn it back on, electricity shoots through it again. The on/off lessens the life of the device IMO. You turn off a hard drive, that constantly spins... then you turn it on , and the hard drive starts spinning again. That's worse than it keeping a steady spin, and flow of energy. I don't know how to explain it. in 30 years, the studio I'm usually working in, has only turned off once due to an electrical outage. All the vintage stuff still sounds great, and works flawlessly. I keep my stuff on 24/7, unless my son comes and messes with things

I have never seen Stand By mode work correctly on ANY computer I have used.

My laptop had it on, and I couldn't figure out what the problem was until it dawned on me remembering discussions a few years ago about Windows not handling Stand By correctly.

Anyway, I just have the HDD stop spinning and the monitor switch off after a bit of time. This is different than Stand By, and most certainly does not cause the problem you describe.

harddrives failing due to being turned off and on :confused:

i dont get it under a normal windows instalation the hard drives are set to turn off after 20 mins, does this not turn them off or just slow them down ?

if it turns them off they will stop spining and this will be just the same as turning the machine back on would'nt it ?

mr bill gates would'nt be trying to shorten the life of your harddrive would he ?????

having said that i've still got harddrives running that i've had for 10 years on one of my machines. ahh the days ......my pentium 120 with 8 meg of ram and a 1 gig harddrive .(takes a lickin and keeps on tickin)

Back