Computer Recording & XLR Mics

Bulls Hit said:
Yep and of the Yamaha mixers from the MG12/4 up in combination with the delta1010LT will give you 8 seperate tracks.

Another option to consider is the Presonus Firepod, 8 inbuilt pre, 8 channels via firewire.

There's also an 8-channel Behringer adat rackmount unit that's dirt cheap - goes for around $250

Another option is the new Terratec 88 Rack Firewire $559 list.

if im following correctly...could i do this same thing with the delta 44....four outs from the mixer to each channel of the sound card....using the phantom power of the mixer to power my mics...
mic 1>mixer>soundcard
mic 2>mixer>soundcard
mic 3>mixer>soundcard
mic 4>mixer>soundcard

allowing for 4 individual, seperate tracks to be recorded at once?!

any leads on a solid, mixer with individual INSERT outs...

my main point is ...I dont want to submix drums...i want ...just 4 channels....
use them to record drums...and then....build my tune from there....ill be playing all instruments myself...no live band set-ups..

Yep the MG12/4 will do that nicely.

For 4 track recording it's easier as you can use the Main and Group outs as the 4 inputs to the sound card, and leave the inserts for....well...inserting

Bulls Hit said:
Yep the MG12/4 will do that nicely.

For 4 track recording it's easier as you can use the Main and Group outs as the 4 inputs to the sound card, and leave the inserts for....well...inserting

can you explain...what do you mean by main and group outs....why would i want to "group" outs? what does this allow me to do...cant I just slap my 4 mics on my drum set...into the mixer....monitor through headphones...get the sound i want and record using some software program (i havent figured out which one yet) i was reading up on the MG12/4....so with this mixer...I could use 4 channels from the board (each acting as a pre-amp)...for my 4 mics on my drum set....into the Delta 44?

im building a computer strictly for computer recording...and the delta 44 seems like what i need...i dont need the 10 inputs because I only have 2 arms and will be recording all instruments myself...

also, anyone know how I would monitor what Im recording and playback?
for example...when i record the drums...will I be able to monitor via headphones...would i do this thru the mixer or the delta 44..

why do i need 4 outs? the delta 44 gives me 4 outs...what in the world do i need outs for?!!
thanks.

auro i think was bulls hit is getting at is since you only need 4 inputs you can use the main outs as 1 and 2 and then the group outs as 3 and 4. each channels does not have a direct out so you can't just go from the mixer into the soundcard from channel to channel, except if you use the other method decribed obove where you insert a TS half way into the insert of that channel.

oh yeah, you use the outs of the delta to output audio to your studio monitors or your headphone amplifiers etc. you use the outs of the mixer to take your recorded signal to the computer.... is that what you are asking?

I have a set up which does pretty much what this chap is asking, although I am starting to move into recording three people at once instead of multi-tracking everyone individually. However, so far, that's all I've done - record drums, then bass, then guitars, then vocals. I've got a Yamaha MG 12/4 with six mics going in from the drums.

The bass drum and snare drum go from the mixer to channels one and two on a Delta 44 via the insert i/o jacks, and the cymbals and toms get mixed down to a stereo pair which is routed through the stereo out into channels three and four of the Delta 44. It works excellently, although I have now bought another Delta 44 so I don't have to put the cymbals and toms on the same stereo track, the bass drum and snare still go through insert i/o jacks to inputs one and two on the first Delta 44, the toms get routed to the group out and sent to inputs three and four on the first Delta 44, and the cymbals get routed to the stereo output to channels one and two on the second Delta 44.

Of course, all that could be summed up by saying: you can do what you want to do with a Yamaha MG 12/4 (or equivalent mixer) and an M-Audio Delta 44.

aurorakooba said:
can you explain...what do you mean by main and group outs....why would i want to "group" outs? what does this allow me to do...cant I just slap my 4 mics on my drum set...into the mixer....monitor through headphones...get the sound i want and record using some software program (i havent figured out which one yet) i was reading up on the MG12/4....so with this mixer...I could use 4 channels from the board (each acting as a pre-amp)...for my 4 mics on my drum set....into the Delta 44?

im building a computer strictly for computer recording...and the delta 44 seems like what i need...i dont need the 10 inputs because I only have 2 arms and will be recording all instruments myself...

also, anyone know how I would monitor what Im recording and playback?
for example...when i record the drums...will I be able to monitor via headphones...would i do this thru the mixer or the delta 44..

why do i need 4 outs? the delta 44 gives me 4 outs...what in the world do i need outs for?!!
thanks.

Yeh the MG12/4 is a 4-buss mixer so you've go 2 output channels (Left & right) on the Main Stereo bus, and and another 2 outputs on the Group 1-2 bus. The pan controls on the mixer channel strip determine which (left, right or both) output channel the signal goes to, and switches on the channel strip determine which bus (Main, Group, or both) the signal goes to.

So you'd plug your micsinto channels 1 - 4 on the mixer, pan channels 1 & 3 left, 2 & 4 right, and set the switches so channel 1 & 2 go to the Stereo bus, 3 & 4 go to the Group bus. Then just plug the Stereo Main outs into inputs 1 & 2 of the delta 44, and the Group outs into inputs 3 & 4 of the 44.

The way I monitor is to bring 2 of the 44 outputs into the mixer's 2TR In jacks, plug in the phones and adjust the level with the Control Room volume knob

do most mixers have group outs...and 2 sends for main out? i guess they do...but wouldnt this give me only

2 seperate tracks....or would it be 4?!!!

ok, 1 and 2....as main out? mic 1>mixer>main out
...how do i "assign" channel 1 as main out
and channel 2 as another main out? mic 2>mixer>main out ?

how do i assign channel 3 and 4 as group outs...please help me understand this...would a simple 6 channel mixer work, then, too.

Thanks.

It all depends on the mixer.
A simple 2 bus mixer will only give you two main outputs (i.e. Right and Left).
Whereas a 4 bus mixer will offer two stereo bus outputs, that are assignable via some form of selection method at each channel. Thus selecting where you want to route the output of that channel (which bus or busses you want it to go to).
However, you can use a 2 bus mixer that offers Inserts I/O on it's channels or direct out's.

Best thing you can do is to search the web for info on mixers and their routing.
Check the links here for some general ideas.
Or even get out to a music store and look at some different mixers and see if the sales person can explain some of the functions that they are capable of.
If you have a specific mixer in mind, you can post your queries here as to best setting up your routing scheme.

many thanks! im going to check the music store...and see what i Can find...i think what i need is just seperate direct outs per channel

I, too, have an audigy platinum and either have no idea how to minipulate it, or it is just WRONG for recording anything. Ive used it to download sounds from the web and make some tracks for a little talent show for a group. Other than that, PUKE!

Plug a guitar into it and you cant do anything with it. I just think its a tailored software to do something other than be the heart of recording music. A guy at comp usa sold it to me before I knew anything. I am fully convinced that there are only a few people in spokane, maybe on earth, that know what they are talking about in retail. the real pro's are out making more money installing what they sell.

Noone take offense, you may be the exception. :eek:

2 cents........... :cool:

it's actually not terrible, but it's not a soundcard intended for a real home studio. as of right now, i've got a 12 channel mixer plugged into the front mounted RCA jacks [AUX 2 i think], my electric guitar and pedal [you need to plug your electric into a preamp or fx pedal or something before plugging it into the Audigy - it does not have any built-in] into the Line In 1/4" jack on the front, monitors from the back and headphones in the front as well. if you've got any midi programs, the audigy handles midi pretty well ...

any other questions, fire away. glad to help out with your audigy woes.

Being new to the idea of home recording, I was seriously uneducated when shopping for a simple software to dink around with. The $129+ I threw at this audigy could have been much better spent as something more tailored for recording.

I was thinking there would be this window that would have the 'virtual' effects board, like most of the recording software. the guy who sold it to me said plug in a guitar and go. I dont think so.....

It was great for my little show project, but If Im going to learn the 'ins and outs' of a program, I think Ill wait till I get the right one. Ill throw questions at ya if the need arises, thanx!

aurorakooba said:
what would i be inserting...can you explain this? thanks
Take a look at this Insert cable. The single TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) end gets plugged into the channel insert. This effectively breaks the signal chain through the channel. Looking at the other side of the insert cable, you have two jacks. One is the signal coming out (send) of the mixer and the other is for bringing the signal back (return). With nothing connected to the send and return of the insert cable, the signal will just stop. It will not continue on through the mixer to it's outputs.
Normally the Insert I/O is for .... well ... inserting some form of effect into the signal. That effect being generated by some type of external piece of gear. That piece of gear will have an input and an output. The signal will go from the input on the mixer, through the gain, out of the insert, into the external piece of gear, out of the external gear, back into the insert and on throughout the rest of the channel of the mixer. Ultimately making it's way to the output bus.
If you have no external gear, then Insert points make for a handy way of tapping into the signal of a particular channel. One must bear in mind the fact that the signal gets broken from the rest of the channel, unless means are made for that signal to continue via a custom cable (Tip shorted to Ring on the TRS end ... wired to the Tip of the TS end) or the first click method (inserting a regular TS instrument cable only half way). Not all mixers support the latter method.

P.S. As far as your email to me ..... I don't know if the 10/2 would work. I'd have to get my hands on it. There pry is a way with the inserts or aux sends and panning but that limits other routing flexibility. I think it would be in your best interest to get a 4 bus mixer or one that offers 4 direct outs (or inserts) to use with the Delta 44.

HTH

-Ken

It's pretty hard to get any more economical than the MG 12/4.
Granted $200 bucks is $200 bucks, but your getting reasonable quality.

rapedbyape said:
Of course, all that could be summed up by saying: you can do what you want to do with a Yamaha MG 12/4 (or equivalent mixer) and an M-Audio Delta 44.

Thanks! I do appreciate the explanation, though. :rolleyes:

Back