Computer Recording & XLR Mics

flat1ine

Ok, this is my first post here, and I have to say that I'm overjoyed at the wealth of information and availibility of good advice found here. This is a fantastic place.

As of now I'm running my mics (phantom powered MXL 990's - probably going to get a pair of 993's for my acoustic soon) through a Yamaha M512 Mixer, and from there into the RCA Jacks (AUX IN 2) on the front of my Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum (more on that to follow), and into Adobe Audition 1.5 - I loved Cool Edit Pro, but I really think Adobe's really improved on it.

The problems are as follows:

I just moved, and the M512 is a beast, and my room isn't exactly massive. I'm having trouble finding a decent home for it.

Also, while the setup works fine for doing each track seperatly, it goes down on one track when recording from more than one mic. I know there are workarounds - panning hard left/hard right and so on, but that's not what I'm looking to do.

What I'm really looking for is:

1. A new soundcard with XLR preamps and 48v phantom- most likely a card and breakout box combo, preferable capable of sending each input to a different track in Audition.

OR
2. A Mixer, again with preamps and 48v phantom, perferably capable of the above as well.

OR
3. Some solution that will have the same effect that I haven't heard of. Multiple PCI soundcards each handling a different mic, maybe?

Oh, and I'm poor, so definately under $1,000, hopefully under $500. I'm sure there's a lot of head-shaking going on right now, but I gotta at least ask, right?

Probably the easiest way would be just to get a Yamaha MG 10/2 and do one track at a time.

I'll post my computer specs here just in case:

Win XP Pro SP1
AMD Athlon 2800+
1GB PC3200 RAM
250gb @ 7200 rpm w/8mb cache
160gb @ 7200 rpm w/8mb cache
SB Audigy Platinum
GeForce FX 5200

Thanks for the advice! :)

-Erik

consider a yamaha mg plus a delta multi input soundcard.
if you need a multitrack software recommendation.
powertracks from pgmusic.com. try the demo sometime.
49 bucks for 48 tracks.
search under my name - lots of info .peace.

manning, thanks!
i'm pretty sold on audition for right now, but i'll be sure to keep powertracks in mind. the delta multi input and the yamaha mg wouldn't let me send different inputs to different tracks, right? if i'm missing something, please let me know, that'd be excellent.

thanks for the input!

Rumor has it that Aardvark is out of business, so I'd reconsider buying one of those.

I have the Layla 24/96, and it's a great card.

thanks madaudio! i'll see if i can't find one to play around with.
i think i'm also going to try out the OmniStudio - the price is right, and i can get away with only 2 XLR mics and the rest 1/4".

thanks for all the input everyone.

Probably your best bet would be a multi-track soundcard like the M-Audio 1010 and a 8 or 12 channel mixer- preferably with diredt sends on each mic channel. You could use the insert point to send a signal to the 1010 but then you cant really use it for its intended purpose of insert point.
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--YAMMG166FX -no direct sends but nicely priced

how many tracks were you planning on recording at once? if you only wanna do two, the GINA 3g may fit the bill better than the LAYLA 3G. they both have 2 xlr preamps, but the LAYLA has more 1/4 inputs. if you need to expand the GINA, you can always go ADAT. The omni studio is cool to but a step down in quality compared to the echo products. the delta 1010 may be closer in quality but it lacks preamps.

One other piece of info to keep in mind is that you should get a soundcard that supports WDM as well as ASIO. I don't think (i could be wrong) that Audition supports ASIO so cards like e-mu would not be a good choice as they don't support WDM well (which audition uses).

flat1ine said:
the delta multi input and the yamaha mg wouldn't let me send different inputs to different tracks, right? if i'm missing something, please let me know, that'd be excellent.

thanks for the input!

Yep and of the Yamaha mixers from the MG12/4 up in combination with the delta1010LT will give you 8 seperate tracks.

Another option to consider is the Presonus Firepod, 8 inbuilt pre, 8 channels via firewire.

There's also an 8-channel Behringer adat rackmount unit that's dirt cheap - goes for around $250

flatline. thats fine. cool (audition) is a fine program.
just be aware of its midi limitations. cool is very fine for audio work.
frankly i think the two together would be nice.
i use powertracks plus magix audio studio so i get the best of everything.
because magix doesnt have some of the midi facilities i like in powertracks.
peace. its all "cool". write some nice songs....whatever you get.

manning, thanks! i'm not doing to much midi right now, and what i am is all run through reason 2.5. it took a while, but adobe finally got audition [cool] to ask as a rewire host for reason; all i need now is an M-Audio Radium or a 49e and i'll be on my way.

Bulls Hit -

if you would be kind enough to explain the mg12/4 to delta 1010lt setup a little more, i'd be extremely grateful. I've been checking the MG12/4 out on musician's friend, zzounds and the yamaha website, and i'm baffled as to how i'd connect each channel of the yamaha to the delta. kremitmusic mentioned using either the insert points or direct sends from each channel into the delta - that i follow.

where i get lost is that i can't see to see any insert points or direct sends on the MG12/4. i'm new to mixers of this quality, and i'm sure i'm missing most of the finer points of what the mg12/4 can do. if you could elaborate a bit more, i'd really appreciate it as it sounds like the perfect solution to my problems.

i most likely won't ever be recording more than 6 tracks simultaneously (MXL 990 for vocals, a pair of MXL 993s or 603s - still debating, electric guitar amped or pedal, and depending who comes over to play, another vocal mic and maybe another set of 993s), but i would like to have everything i've got hooked up all the time, so i won't have to unplug and replug stuff in if i want to switch setups.

also, i checked out the Firepod you recommended, and it looks damn near perfect. if it were a few hundred dollars cheaper, i'd probably jump on it. i still might, actually, although i'd prefer something a little smaller.

i really appreciate your help, thanks!

I will appreciate that explaination too. I downloaded the MG12/4 manual and it doesn´t mention that you could send the signal of each mic.

Thanks

TS

look on the top of the mg. there is an insert point on each channel.
you patch a chord between the insert jack of each mic channel to the sound card. as follows...
insert 1>>>>soundc card input 1
insert 2>>>>soundc card input 2
insert 3>>>>soundc card input 3
etc etc......peace.

manning1 said:
look on the top of the mg. there is an insert point on each channel.
you patch a chord between the insert jack of each mic channel to the sound card. as follows...
insert 1>>>>soundc card input 1
insert 2>>>>soundc card input 2
insert 3>>>>soundc card input 3
etc etc......peace.

This might make it easier to go with the explenation..
16_6fx_rear.jpg

You may need to use a TS (unbalanced) 1/4 " plug, and you plug it in only to the first click. That splits the signal and serves as a tap without interrupting the channel strip,if you want to handle live sound with the mixer at the same time.

Yep inserts on Mixer channels 1-4 into 4 inputs on the card.
The next 2 mixer channels go out on the L-R Main outs into another 2 inputs on the LT.

Now you're out of preamps on the MG12/4, so go directly into the 2 XLR inputs on the LT

Treeline said:
You may need to use a TS (unbalanced) 1/4 " plug, and you plug it in only to the first click...
And that'll be just fine because the 1010lt only has UN-balance ins (except the 2 xlrs)
I have a 1010lt and I use a Soundcraft M8 mixer- it has 8 direct sends- one from each mic channel. And i can still use the inserts for actually inserting. lol/. The M8 is probably a bit out of your price range, but I would suggest looking at it anyway.

thank you all for your help - the response here has been fantastic!

the soundcraft M8 looks like a great piece of work kremit, although it is a little pricey ... maybe i'll save up and see what christmas sends my way. in case i can't make the price tag on the M8, do you know of any other mixers in the price range with direct sends on each channel? chances are that's a feature that doesn't come cheap though ...

thanks again!

Back