Computer ram

I suggest Corsair Sticks. Be sure you are buying a supported RAM speed in your motherboard.

If your motherboard only supports DDR2-533, well... don't go and buy DDR2-677.

Check your mobo compatibility also.

I use ValueSelect from Corsair. They're cheap beacause you can't PUSH the sticks to go for higher speeds. ( But that doesn't really matter if you're not an OVERCLOCKER maniac )

Those sticks are just as good as the expensive ones. Your can trust them.

---

So, you think RAM will make your music SHINE :D huh ?.

You're right, that will make it shine.

It does matter which brand to a certain extent. The known brands like Corsair, Kingston, PNY, OCZ, Patriot, etc are usually suitable & better than the rest. Other off brand types offer sub par production of the module, using maybe 3 layered boards instead of Corsair or OCZ's 6-8 layered boards. Then brands like Kingston & Corsair or any known brands, usually manufacture their ram different.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a related question.

Would it be more beneficial to use two 512MB sticks in a dual channel configuration, or three 512MB sticks?

Just get RAM with a lifetime warranty, a lot of RAM makers will offer that. If you want the most reliable, go with Corsair or Kingston, both of which are solid.

a few years ago i built me my audio computer and i wanted decent components

for ram you should go for Kingston or Corsair,
both still seem to be the leaders in the Ram world

if we may believe the tests/stats then these brands can give you a better performance than cheaper brands

ez_willis said:
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a related question.

Would it be more beneficial to use two 512MB sticks in a dual channel configuration, or three 512MB sticks?
you'll get a lot better performance with 2 512MB sticks in dual channel, than if you put a single 1GB stick.

RAM timings is also a consideration. Decent Timings would be something like:

2.5 - CAS Latency.
3 -
3 -
8 -

----

If you can get something faster, from brands Like Kingstone, Corsair or OCZ, that would be ok.

It doesn't really matter if you have 3 512mb sticks, as long as you have 2 of them running in dual channel.

underp said:
you'll get a lot better performance with 2 512MB sticks in dual channel, than if you put a single 1GB stick.

RAM timings is also a consideration. Decent Timings would be something like:

2.5 - CAS Latency.
3 -
3 -
8 -

----

If you can get something faster, from brands Like Kingstone, Corsair or OCZ, that would be ok.

It doesn't really matter if you have 3 512mb sticks, as long as you have 2 of them running in dual channel.

Not any more, maybe for slower speced ram that was ok, IDK what happened, maybe it couldn't handle that speed much... The high performance ram of today, other than the $300 dollar 1gb ram or something, usually have their latency around 4-4-4-15 or 5-5-5-12 with cas at 5. My older pc3200 had those timings, but my newer OCZ Reapers DDR2 PC2 8500's timings are 5-5-5-15 and it's high performance memory... of course I lowered the timings easily.

But yeah, try and get the faster timed ram with low voltage. I personally like OCZ, Corsair & Mushkin.

underp said:

Let me clarify:

I have three 512MB sticks of RAM. My mobo supports Dual Channel if 2, 4, or 6 sticks are used in their proper places.

So would I be better off going with two 512MB sticks at Dual Channel or three 512MB sticks?

Is there a benchmark test to check it myself?

ez_willis said:
Let me clarify:

I have three 512MB sticks of RAM. My mobo supports Dual Channel if 2, 4, or 6 sticks are used in their proper places.

So would I be better off going with two 512MB sticks at Dual Channel or three 512MB sticks?

Is there a benchmark test to check it myself?

I'll post 2 answers, since I don't know if your talking about running 3 sticks verses running 2 512mb (more memory, or faster connection via dual channel) I would say performance of dual channel mode would be faster than having 1.5gb of ram. Also depends if your doing anything extensive on RAM too though. If your not, dual channel would be faster transferring data, but if you run out of RAM, or it gets low, than it'll start to slow down of course... If you are, 3 sticks might be better for you. But benchmarks, will show dual channel would be faster...

If your talking about running 2 sticks in dual channel, or 3 sticks in dual channel, I would say it can't be done. It would default back to regular because to run dual channel you need sets of 2 (2, 4, 6 etc)

Free benchmark program:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=128

earworm said:
a few years ago i built me my audio computer and i wanted decent components

for ram you should go for Kingston or Corsair,
both still seem to be the leaders in the Ram world

if we may believe the tests/stats then these brands can give you a better performance than cheaper brands

They are definitely good brands.

I've always used Samsung and just upgraded again recently with another 256MB stick. Never had any problems and have been using the same 256MB stick since about 6 years ago.

Thanks...that info was helpfull. I was in the market for at least one or two sticks of ram and i was unsure what to get but now i feel like i will get two sticks of 512. I brought the post up because my offfice computer took a shit and they let me take it...so i thought the only thing usefull was the ram...but i didnt want to put it in because its 128mb and the computer is a tad old and i was just wondering if it would screw things up

say i were to have stikcs taken out of old computers...is there a way i can tell what mb they are? i assume thats not a good idea to just put it in my computer?

only a couple of them are...and there 128mb, but it doesnt say anything about being just ram, or ddr or ddr2 etc.....whould that hurt my computer if i put it in switched things around?

Back