Computer display options, recommendations?

keith.rogers

Well, my iMac is going to be history, and I have a new mini M2 Pro. I'm using an old HP 1080 display 23" (?) that was with my prior mini, but the time I had with the 4k Retina display has me looking at something along those lines.

So, any recommendations? Nothing bigger than 27" and I want flat, 4k. Oh, and reliable and cheap, of course :). (I just spent an unbudgeted $bunch on the "base" M2 Pro!)

Reactions: TAE
Congrats on the m2 mini Hopefully you got it with a lot of ram cause you can't add any..dang Apple!

I like 27" monitors I have a 2014 27" iMac right now FWIW it can be used as just a monitor for the mini you have.
Costco has some good deals and of course Amazon. As I am aging my eyes are getting worse and I am thinking of just using a 35" or 37" TV instead of a monitor...For work I use (2) 24" monitors

Here's a link to the wirecutters review on current 27" monitors That Asus does look pretty nice for under $300

As one who has built quite a few pc's over the years and now don't other than adding ram or peripherals, I have been looking at the M1 and 2's . At least for me, I don't think I need them...and I don't like how they are soldering the processors and ram in them...really hard to upgrade.

Thinking I am going to settle on a 2020 27" iMac with an i5 or i7 processor with a lot of ram. For me that should work just fine for the lightweight work I do in recording

Thanks @TAE!

I did a little checking and unfortunately, the ability to use an iMac as a monitor is a feature Apple dropped in the later models, so my 2017 iMac + 2023 mini M2pro do not fall into the group that can still do this. I wish I could, but hoping I can get someone to give me a couple hundred for the iMac, which will help put that Asus on my desk. (The iMac's now missing the HDD part of the fusion drive and possible motherboard issues - Genius bar folks could not get normal recovery to work and the ethernet port as well as ethernet via USB-C adapter did not work. It does boot and run Ventura, but it's only running in the 128GB SSD part of the fusion drive. I've got better ways to spend my time than futz with it...)

Back