Compressor/EQ Choices

drum bum

Trying to outfit my studio with everything I need. Wondering which compressors and EQ's I should look at. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

RNC - Probably get 2
ART Pro VLA - Any good?
DBX 166XL or 166A or 1066 - Which One?
Presonus ACP-88 - Any good?
??Symetrix?? - Which One - Where to find?
??Joe Meek?? - Which One
Any Others?

EQ - No idea
DBX, Ashley, Symetrix. others?
Don't know much about EQ brands, models

If anybody cares it'll be running into a Mackie d8B and HDR24/96.
Pres include RNP, Sytek, Focusrite, VTB-1. Budget is highly flexible, but am looking at around 5K for all dynamic processors

drum bum said:
Budget is highly flexible, but am looking at around 5K for all dynamic processors

Just get a distressor (compression) and a Speck (EQ). Mercenary.

And a bunch of RNCs and dbx Project I 242 EQ's (Ebay) with whatever you have left.

Drum, keep an eye out for one of the re-vamped Meek compressor's too-part of the "well balanced" (effects) food group
IMHO :D.

drum bum said:
am looking at around 5K for all dynamic processors

The real question is whether you're looking for 'quality' or 'quantity'... If you're looking for "quality" then you're going to end up with like 3 or 4 channels of really good compression... if you're looking for "quantity" then the stuff on "the list"
RNC - Probably get 2
ART Pro VLA - Any good?
DBX 166XL or 166A or 1066 - Which One?
Presonus ACP-88 - Any good?
??Symetrix?? - Which One - Where to find?
??Joe Meek?? - Which One
will get you through.

Personally... with the exception of the RNC I wouldn't piss on any of the other units you've listed if they were on fire. I have found them to do more harm than good in terms of being tools that will assist you in the translation of the emotion of the musical statement.

There are indeed a plethora of great sounding compression/dynamics devices on the market... but they generally aren't inexpensive.

From API to Chandler to Crane Song to Daking to Drawmer, GML, Manley, Tube Tech, Innertube Audio, Escoteric Audio Research, Purple, Pendulum, Smart Research, Empirical Labs, etc... there is a ton of great shit that is available... what you need to decide is the direction you'd like to take your music... and then experiment with units that may or may not take you in the direction you would like your product to travel.

FWIW, in the long run the "expensive" stuff is actually less expensive than the "cheap" stuff... if you plan on doing this for more than a couple of years you won't "outgrow" the expensive stuff... in other words if you drop 2 grand on a 2 channel compressor and it serves you well for 10 years... you're looking at $100/channel/year... where if you pick up a piece of shit like a DBX ___ chances are you'll outgrow it in a year or so as your ears develop... and end up either relegating it to an unused portion of your outboard rack... or selling it on eBay® for about a 50% loss.

Again, FWIW, I still have stuff in my outboard racks that I bought in like 1982... yeah, I've done some maintenance to them over the years... but for all intents and purposes they have run me less than the cost of an RNC on a 'per year' basis.

It all comes down to 'quality vs. quantity' and where you see yourself, and your work 5-10 years from now.

Best of luck with it...

Re: Re: Compressor/EQ Choices

Fletcher said:
Personally... with the exception of the RNC I wouldn't piss on any of the other units you've listed if they were on fire.
ROFLMAO... only one question, Fletcher - where do you come up with your one-liners???

:D :D

Thanks to all who replied, especially Fletcher. Your comments have been very helpful. Thanks to a new partner, my budget has increased to about 8,000. I'm really looking for about 8 channels of compression/EQ for this. It seems to me that 1,000 per channel should be enough to get high quality dynamics. My applications vary widely. My studio will be used for all types of music, mostly rock, but a little bit of everything. What would you all suggest for 8 channels for 8,000.

IF it were my $8k to spend on just dynamics processing... I'd probably go with something like:

1x Pendulum ES-8 dual mono/stereo compressor limiter $3,150
1x Pair Crane Song LTD. Trakker's... dual mono/stereo compressor $3,900/pr.
and a Purple Audio MC-77 $1,650... which would take you a few hundred over budget... but... would give you 5 remarkably versatile channels of compression that will in all likelihood cover the vast majority of your compression requirements...

If the overbudget thing isn't something you can really work around... then you might want to replace the "Trakkers" with a pair of Empirical Labs EL-8X's [a.k.a. the EL-8SX... which is actually two EL-8X's] for $2,850... which would actually leave you a tad 'underbudget'... and would leave you room for a pair of FMR RNC's housed in rack mountable frame...

Just a thought...

Isn't it better to try out some of the stuff and make your own opinion before spending $8000 ?

Seems like a joke to me.

Thank you for your suggestions Fletcher. I'll have to check out all of these units. I was pretty interested in the Distressor. What about the 1176 or LA-2A? I was focused earlier on quantity with 5K now im looking for quality with 8K. I plan on buying a handful of top-notch units now and adding more as I gain the budget. I fully intend to research and listen to any equipment before buying. I am simply begining my research here, getting reccomendations from users with experience with this equipment.

OK. After some research here are my initial thoughts.

Pendulum ES-8 - Very interested. Have heard a Fairchild 670 before and absolutely loved it. This model looks like it could be very close. Would love to hear it.

Crane Song Tracker - Not sure. Haven't heard it. Probably go with the Distressors.

Purple Audio MC-77 - Is it not a better idea to go with the original 1176LN than buy an imitation for the same price, especially from a marketing standpoint. Have heard the 1176 not the MC-77. What is better about the MC-77?

EL-8X - Have heard. Love the sound. Probably going with a pair unless the Trackers are significantly better sounding.

So I am thinking at this point:
Pendulum ES-8 - $3150
Purple Audio MC-77 or Universal Audio 1176LN - $1600
EL-8X (Pair) - $2850
Pair of RNC's rackmounted - $400

drum bum said:
Purple Audio MC-77 - Is it not a better idea to go with the original 1176LN than buy an imitation for the same price, especially from a marketing standpoint.

Who's marketing? An "original" 1176LN will undoubtedly require maintenance... and unless it's had it's power supply modified... I would suggest that be done as well. The reisssues should also get a power supply mod... and frankly, I have "issues" with the way Universal Audio is run... the motherfuckers lied to me when we were dealers for them, which is why we're no longer dealers for them... our shop won't deal with scumbags.

The Purple Audio MC-77 isn't just a "copy"... it has several improvements that were often added to 'original 1176LN's before they were installed in "pro" studios in NYC... like a better power supply... like a true 'hardwire bypass', far superior linking capabilities, which can be accessed from a switch on the front.

IMNTLBFHO the coolest addition is the "insert/key" switch on the front panel... the ease of being able to add 'sidechain control' of the unit is absolutely the "tie breaker"... as the 1176LN has no such capability... and that capability can make life way easier...

By "marketing" I was referring to advertising my studio. The 1176LN is a classic piece of equipment that some prospective clients may have heard of and see as a large plus on my equipment list. It sounds like the additional features on the Purple Audio unit are a bigger issue. I really like the ability to have side-chain control. Also, it sounds as if there are issues with the power supply on the reissue model of the 1176. Now I am leaning towards the Purple Audio unit. What do you think of my other choices? With my new partner and other additional funds it looks as if I'm going to be purchasing/upgrading many other studio items: FX, monitors, mics, etc. More on this later and in other posts, though.

drum bum said:
The 1176LN is a classic piece of equipment that some prospective clients may have heard of and see as a large plus on my equipment list.

Uhhh, yeah... no... sorta... nah. What will sell more time for your studio than your equipment list is the sound of the product your studio outputs. People are going to book your room based on the quality of the product they can expect when they walk out the door... not because of a hardware list... machines don't make music, people make music.

With that said... if you're trying to run a 'sound hotel' [a studio that caters exclusively to outside engineers] it might make a bit of a difference... not much of a difference as usually one compressor like an 1176 isn't a deal maker nor a deal breaker... and the fact of the matter is that the units do very similar things... except [IMNTLBFHO] one performs the task in a superior manner to the other... but YMMV on that.

As for mics, monitors, pre's, FX, etc... as with anything, it's going to be a matter of taste and what you're looking for as an operator... best of luck with your search(s).

Also, as far as marketing, most anyone who knows what an 1176 is will also know what a Purple Audio, Pendulum, and Empirical Labs is.

Fletcher has given you some great advice in this thread. I can personally attest to the fact that buying quality gear is less expensive over the long run than buying cheap and upgrading incrementally (over and over). The good stuff is also a lot more satisfying to use, *does* sound better, and will stay with you for decades not months or a few years.

As the owner of a couple Distressors, I can recommend them highly. Be sure to get both mods, the stereo link and British mode. They work quite well in stereo with the mod, and the British mode is a must!

After you've gotten your ES-8, Distressors, and MC-77 you might also want to consider a couple channels of the old DBX 160X's. Very different ballgame than the 166 or 266 series.

As far as eq, you might want to look at 2-4 channels of outboard analog eq, and use plugins or the D8b eq for the bulk of your eq work. The Speck ASC would probably be a good and relatively inexpensive place to start. I have a modified Urei 546 that I like.

For some reason I find myself less offended by digital eq than by digital dynamics processors. So your direction of getting the dynamics processors first seems right to me. Once you have those, then adding some channels of analog eq as your budget allows does make sense.

Been shopping around. Happened to stop by a yard sale down the street. There's this box labeled "Assorted Audio Junk-May Work, May Not" 2 DBX 160A compressors, 8 channel Langevin mixer, 3 SM57s all for $50. Everything works perfectly. Saw this same mixer going for $1800 on e-bay! The preamps sound AMAZING!!! I am so excited. This REALLY helps with my budget. More shopping to do now.

Attachments

• mixer.jpg
    mixer.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 398
If the gear works, you scored big. The DBX 160A's are good compressors, but if you want RNC's you could easily turn those 160A's around on eBay for $200-250 each, depending on their condition.

drum bum said:
Been shopping around. Happened to stop by a yard sale down the street. There's this box labeled "Assorted Audio Junk-May Work, May Not" 2 DBX 160A compressors, 8 channel Langevin mixer, 3 SM57s all for $50. Everything works perfectly. Saw this same mixer going for $1800 on e-bay! The preamps sound AMAZING!!! I am so excited. This REALLY helps with my budget. More shopping to do now.
Damn. What street do you live on?
:D
Wayne

Damn, nice score on the mixer. I was eyeing that one on Ebay.

I'm curious about the Drawmer Six Pack http://www.mercenary.com/drawsixsurdy.html

It's marketed as a surround sound dynamics processor but it's basically a 6 channel compressor/limiter/gate for under $2500. Seems like it would be pretty handy for drums, vocal harmonies, etc.

Fletcher, whats the word on the 6 pack? What does the compression compare to?

drum bum said:

Dude, thats sweet!! I thought my Raindirk sidecar was a bargain at 300.00 bucks. Are there direct outs on that Langevin?

Justin

Back