Compression on final mix

saads

Baka
I know how compression works, what I'm wondering is, what kind of compression do you put on the song as a whole? Obviously, there's no fixed formula and it varies, depending on the song, but what exactly do you guys look (or hear) for when compressing the final mix (I guess that means during mastering?). Especially in a rock mix.

I know how compression works, what I'm wondering is, what kind of compression do you put on the song as a whole? Obviously, there's no fixed formula and it varies, depending on the song, but what exactly do you guys look (or hear) for when compressing the final mix (I guess that means during mastering?). Especially in a rock mix.

None of any kind.

Fisrt you (we) need to decide if this compressing is finishing touches of a mix and you want to keep it right there? That's one set of many branches to consider.
Is it going to be done in a second pass for 'mastering? Changes the considerations there.

Que 'You can't pollish a turd.. But you can pollish untill it smells like one, then you just back it off some.'

Sorry for the little side track there :D
Back to compression for mixes..

tumblr_l8wefpevr31qz6g6wo1_500.jpg

Haha yeah, back to compression. I understand the whole 'no compression because it ruins the dynamics' argument, but there has to be a little bit to even stuff out, no?

Really, it depends on the outcome you want

I Like a touch of compression on the master just because of how it allows all of the sounds to interact with each other in a way that fader riding really doesn't get for me. Except for when I don't like it then I don't use it.
When I do use it, it has nothing to do with loudness however, I'm only getting around 1-2 dB of gain reduction, it's more a glueing effect so all of the instruments are no longer working in a vacuum but the dynamics of all the tracks have a small effect on everything else in the mix

For me, if I'm going to use a master bus compressor, It goes on the master bus at the early stages of the mix so that you mix through it and all of the decisions made during the mix are made with the effects of the compressor in place, rather than slapping a compressor on at the end and finding that the whole mix is now completely different

As to what settings, again completely dependent on what you want. Slow attack times will tend to give more punch, faster attacks will give a smoother feel, playing with releases can give you some pumping and breathing or more transparent sound.
For this tyoe of bus compression I personally like an SSL type bus compressor but that's really down to pure personal taste

If it's just loudness your after then a limiter may be more what you are looking for

Just one opinion/experience
YMMV

Haha yeah, back to compression. I understand the whole 'no compression because it ruins the dynamics' argument, but there has to be a little bit to even stuff out, no?

And to build on Bristol's, it's mot even about (or haven't even got to) the 'no compression because it ruins the dynamics' side track. You still haven't answered the question- Compresion for what, and in which context?!

See the circle we're going in untill we get some focus here?

And to build on Bristol's, it's mot even about (or haven't even got to) the 'no compression because it ruins the dynamics' side track. You still haven't answered the question- Compresion for what, and in which context?!

See the circle we're going in untill we get some focus here?

Ah ok. I wasn't looking for an answer to a specific question. Just wanted to know how you guys use compression near the end of the mixing process.

I use compression all the way through the mixing process, There is different types of compression on different instruments and vocal, there will be compression (parallel) over the drum bus, all the compression will have different setting as required to get the results needed.

However, if the question is do we apply compression across the stereo bus (whole mix) to a mix that is to be mastered? The answer is that some will say none and some will say some.

Personally I have a compressor across the stereo bus, I leave it turned almost completely off (no compression) I use a gentle ratio (1:2) and with the final mix will just bring up a little action form the compressor on the loudest parts (just kind of floating in and out). Why? I just find that having a little compression across the mix helps the mix to bond. I don't compress much as it's going off to be mastered and I leave this to the mastering stage.

Now the Anti-compressing brigade can tell me I'm wrong. However if it was a bad idea, why did SSL have a bus compressor in the design?

Cheers
Alan.

All the time, i use AC1 on every track of my mix and even my aux tracks. On my mix buss I use AC1, AC2 and the SSL Buss compressor. I mix multiple genres of music and its the same setup every-time (only the settings change). I'm a very specific type of engineer (the good sounding experimental type lol) and compression on your stereo buss IMO is what music today sounds like. I go for anywhere from 1.5db-2db of compression (master buss) on all my tracks but its for that tight sound that is found on most/all records nowadays. Alot of the older guys feel one way about mixing/engineering and the younger guys are all in the box lol

I generally always use a stereo compressor and a limiter on the mixed down file...it's always around 4:1/5:1 then i'll take it from there..I could prolly put it on the master bus in the mix to glue it but I like having a separate project.

My final mixes generally equal the volume of similar genre tracks but I dont completely squash them

Everytime I try using compression on the final mix..it ruins the mix...it seemed to take away some of the clarity in that it subdued some instruments to the point where you coudln't here how they interacted with ther instruments. - so compression in that istance didn't work for me... i have used a touch of compression on individual instruments before the final mix with good results

Meh, that's nothing. I use compression way before I even start recording. I write lyrics with compression. :eek:

:D

Any nice presets for compression on lyrics? Or does it vary from song to song :D

So I guess the general consensus is to use light compression on the final mix to 'glue' everything together ?

Back