Comparison of Guitar Amplifiers: Software against Hardware | University Student Survey

I've come to the conclusion that regardless of whether one uses an amp, two amps, a sim, a sim + an amp, an amp and a pedal, a sim and a pedal, DI or line out or whatever, ultimately doesn't matter. It's about preference and if you care enough, you'll get sounds you are happy with, regardless.
I use all kinds of methods to record guitars and bass. With bass I might use a bass amp or a guitar amp or the two amps {and blend} or DI or DI, amp and line out or even a sim like the Behringer BD121 or any combo etc. I might use my 5 string or my fretless acoustic 4 string bass guitar through its pick up to any of those combinations or singularly through an amp. I might use fingers or a pick or a thimble. One of my favourite sounds is the 5 string through the BD121.
They all have their uses though and they all get an airing ~ with dynamic or condenser mics.

i think in this day and time, these kinds of questions are not very useful.

studio tools are so powerful now, even musicians cant tell the difference on playback...

where it becomes IMPORTANT, whether you use a real amp or not for guitar, is the way it feels.

nothing can take the place of volume, for command of the moment in space and time.
and simply turning up the volume on studio monitors is NOT going to provide the same feedback thru the instrument and the amp and cab, like standing next to a loud amp.

you are asking the wrong questions.

I've very rarely used an amped-up guitar signal. I always use emulations. Specifically, an old Line Six Pod and earlier, occasionally, a Zoom G1. I suppose a guitar tone geek might hear the difference, but so what? I couldn't care less, and virtually nobody listening out there is gonna know. If I like it, it's good. If it sounds good, it is good.

So, I took the "survey," and honestly I don't have the faintest idea of which one was "synthetic" and which one wasn't. They all sounded kind of crappy, actually.

I'm with Tim. I tried taking the survey, but found the guitar sounds so incredibly irritating that I quit after I played the second one. It wouldn't matter which was software and which was hardware. I don't think I would use either for a recording.

Funnily enough, apart from the last one, in which one was obviously worse, I wasn't impressed with any of the guitar tones but I did point out that the time to judge is in the context of other instruments also being there.
I couldn't tell which was which.

I think the only conclusions that can be drawn from the survey will involve whether the subjects preference follows their thoughts on which one was software or hardware, and possibly what people's stereotypes of software vs. hardware are.

The tones were terrible.

How many have the deep pockets for all those classic and desirable amps? What are the chances it's going to be in pristine working condition without the caps being dried out or the tubes gone microphonic or with loss of gain? My perspective is that models are better than most Craigslist finds.

My first go with modeling was with the Boss VF-1 some years ago if you don't count the Scholz Rockman, which really wasn't modeling. The VF-1 worked for some things but was mostly meh.

I recently picked up the Max version of Amplitube 5 with the interface. I am currently grinding away at the various models with different guitars. You really got to play around with the settings including mic position and type, how much of the room mic if any and all that. There are tons of layers to it so if you stick with the default out of the box settings, its going to be just Ok. Take the time to dial it all in and that is another story.

I've got a few low watt tube amps including a Trace Elliot Vellocette SE (single ended). I can swap out the 12x and octal tubes for a variety of flavor but it is a bit of work pairing the right tube combos, cab and pedals. I've a big collection of classic tubes like RCA black plate, telefunken and mullards. Also still have a couple tube testers on my work bench. So still a fan of real if you got the sound you want at the ready. For me, my collection doesn't run as deep into tone variation.

Soon as the Axe I/O comes in from backorder, I will also do a bit of re-amping using pedals and processing through the software as well. So for the price of a Fender Super Champ, I think it is worth its cost. Just not sure I bought a $350 interface and for $50 more, got the software bundle or the other way around.

Boss VF-1 was garbage. A long time ago I got a VG-99 that was a much better attempt from Boss/Roland at modeling.

ADA was the best , not a question.

Boss VF-1 was garbage. A long time ago I got a VG-99 that was a much better attempt from Boss/Roland at modeling.

ADA was the best , not a question.
There is several years difference between the VF-1 and the VG-99. It is all relative but 20+ years ago the scale of what counts for even marginally Ok doesn't compare to today.

They clearly took the hump as the survey is now gone. As an ex-educationalist, what really irritates me is that university research projects nowadays seem totally lacking in design, staff input and most lack the ability to generate any useful data at all. The worst kind attempt, often poorly, to produce data to bolster an already set opinion. Do universities actually have supervisors any more? I'm guessing here, of course, but I respect the comments so far. What was it about?

He plastered it all over - and every response was negative!

Last edited:
Each question was two audio clips and you were supposed to pick which one you thought was the SIM, then answer which one you preferred.

Unfortunately, the tones weren't great so it didn't matter which was what. It also couldn't prove anything, since there are hundreds of ways to get bad sounds out of both actual amps and amp sims.

You can imagine a metal head at uni and his mates telling him his sound is rubbish so he tries to squeeze it into his education but the result comments just agreed with his mates. When I used to moderate a form and we had silly surveys, I’d email the university and tell them how a student was showing them up on line. The universities hated it. Often these surveys have nothing to do with the course they’re on, and don’t pass the evidence quality rules.

Back