Compact Digital Mixers - Presonus 16.0.2 / etc

Checked the X32 but even their smaller mixers are twice as expensive.

Anyway, to all those who posted, thank you very much for all the comments / suggestions / insights / cryticism (may it be constructive or not).

I have taken into consideration all of your posts before finally deciding to go ahead and buy the Presonus 16.0.2

I am now reading the manual again and watching tutorial vids about the mixer and how to set it up properly. If you have more suggestions, just post them here.

Again, thanks.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. I will admit my knowledge of mine is still pretty basic. I'm learning daily. A lot of the routing through aux type things are still confusing to me but I have gotten a pretty good hold on fat channel, FX, sends and returns via firewire, etc.

I will add this. As the presonus is a firewire mixer be prepared to purchase a new firewire card even if you already have one. They are picky about what cards they work with and seem to only like a few chipsets. Presonus has a list on their website of all the cards that it will work properly with. I went through almost the entire list before I found one that was even stocked at any of my usual online vendors.

If you are using a PC I would be happy to post up the link for the card I got, if you're using a laptop may god have mercy on your soul (just kidding, but unless it's an old laptop with an expansion bay you are hosed).

I am using a MBP 13" 2010 Laptop. We also have a MBP 13" 2011.

You think our firewire will be good enough?

just bought the sl 16.4.2... love it.. preamps sound good. i,m not a big fan of motorized faders( something else to fail imo) so it wasn't a deal breaker

I am using a MBP 13" 2010 Laptop. We also have a MBP 13" 2011.

You think our firewire will be good enough?

Macbook firewire will work just fine.

I didn't realize that they were so picky! We have only connected 2 different computers to our SL 24.4.2 and both worked fine! One was a Macbook, the other an older Gateway PC

Ecc83 often refers to Firewire as "Fussywire" and he's not far wrong. However, you're generally okay if you stick to FW input with a Texas Instrument chipset. The cheapie Chinese imitations rarely work.

You may also find that the switch on order is important. I have to have the Firewire gear on and stable before booting my computer for example--it won't work the other way around. I don't know if yours will be the same but if you have issues, it's one thing to try.

Bobbsy is dead on with the Texas Instruments thing. I'm pretty sure they haven't had much problem out of the Macs.

Back