Commercial quality at home???

I think it would take a very rare and unusually-designed home to be able to track a lot of accoustic instruments and have it sound anywhere close to comercial CD quality. Accoustics are huge, because they can literally dictate what you can and can't do in terms of mic'ing technique.

Honestly, I can't think of very many apartments or even homes that just have a natural lacking of paralel walls, naturally diffuse surfaces, and a lack of flutter echo and/or room nodes. Granted, I have been in maybe one or two homes that I would have died to record in :D ... but not not many, and if you can afford that type of home, then you can afford studio time (or to simply build a real studio) -- trust me.

So basically, that leaves you with a few options; either become an expert on accoustics and treat everything or re-design the room yourself ... or simply close-mic everything with hypercardiod dynamic mics. :D The first option would require an unusually dedicated and resourceful person. The second would severely limit your options; making it a huge challenge, even for the most talented of engineers ... let alone a "very talented amateur" as Harvey puts it.

And that's just in regards to room accoustics. Every other factor involved in this has it's own set of options that would require one to either a) become an expert in yet another subject, b) throw a lot of money in to a solution, or c) severely limit / handicap yourself to a degree that would be difficult for even the most seasoned of professionals.

The more I think about it, the more I'm with Harvey. Yes it can be done, and yes it has been done. But it's also possible to win millions in the lottery. And it's also possible for Jessica Alba to fall madly in love with me. The fact that either of those is, indeed, scientifically "possible" doesn't make either a particularly realistic goal.

Back