Comments PLEASE!

smellyfuzz

I said a lot more than no and I hope it's something you consider

On Dec 10, 2009, at 8:08 PM, Smellyfuzz wrote:

Yes but, i did get your attention and all you are doing is saying no.

Thanks
----- Original Message -----
To: Smellyfuzz
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: Re:

Sean, I hope you take this in the spirit in which it's offered.
You should know I've been engineering for over 24 years, if you go to my website you'll get an idea of some of the records I've worked on.
I have a record now that I produced and recorded and mixed, that was mastered by Scott Hull from Masterdisk, that is currently on the contemporary jazz charts. You might want to check out his website and see his discography.
If I have a say in the matter, for my clients I recommend Scott , if they can afford him, if they can't I recommend Randy Merrill who was Scott's apprentice
I have to question whether you could improve the sound of my mixes, first off, you don't have professional mastering software, you have no analog processors to speak of, no mastering console, which tells me your approach would not be right for what comes out here. Not to mention that if you did I wouldn't want the ad/da to be an MAudio card. I see that you have a nice monitoring, that's great and the beginning of the chain. But it seems to me you have a way's to go on the gear end.

Also something else you should think about, presentation in this business is EVERYTHING, it's a little odd to get an email from someone you don't know
with the email handle SmellyFuzz saying he would like to improve the sound of my music. You might want to use your SPM mastering name as your handle to make a more serious presentation, you might want to describe your services. You also should research the facilities that you send to, you're probably looking for a more entry level studio to start.
In any case I hope I didn't hurt your feelings, rather I hope this is of some use to you. In any case I wish you the best of luck

On Dec 10, 2009, at 6:01 PM, Smellyfuzz wrote:

Lou please find my attachment.
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: Re:

OK and what gear do you have and what's you discography?

On Dec 10, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Smellyfuzz wrote:

mastering your mixes
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:44 PM
Subject: Re:

and how could you do that?

On Dec 10, 2009, at 2:13 AM, Smellyfuzz wrote:

Hello,

I would like to improve the sound your music.

Sean

SPM MASTERING

Lou G.
2"24 Track w All The Goodies!

Lou G.
2" 24 track & everything else

<SPM MASTERING musiclab.doc>

Lou G.

Lou G.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I'm reading, all the points that Lou has brought up and made are right on the money. It might be good to head his advice...not sure why you would be looking for comments on this? You spammed a professional and he is sort of calling you out.

I have no money.
When & where should I start?
Was he born into wealth?
Is mastering or anything only for the absolute state of the art?
Is there anyone who could write the same to him?
The guy he uses might be deaf from his racing cars.
Does he really believe that I cannot hear the flaws in his mixdowns?
His Yamaha ns10's are as about as accurate as my fan.

Thanks for more comments.

Sean

I'm curious...what actual *flaws* do YOU hear in his mixes...and as he asked you, what processes and gear would you use to improve them?

Just telling someone "I would like to improve the sound of your music" has a certain negative tone...especially if THAT is going to be your initial introductory statement to ANYONE!
And being broke and needing work doesn't really make that approach any more valid.
Guys that have been in the biz for many years tend to work with people they know/trust...or maybe with someone new if they have developed a solid client list/discography to present.

Not sure what it is you gave him in the "attachment"...but obviously he wasn't impressed by anything more than your monitoring system.
And he really was being rather polite after you kinda spammed him with your emails.

Just my $0.02 based on what was presented here.

Not really sure where you are going with this thread...??? :confused:

...just for fun
I have no money.
The economy truly sucks. Welcome to the club
When & where should I start?
at the beginning - soon
Was he born into wealth?
Owning a studio does not mean you have a lot of money. It usually means you owe someone a lot of money.. Nice studio = a big black hole with good acoustics.
Is mastering or anything only for the absolute state of the art?
Not totally sure what you mean??? but yes, quality mastering is sometime equated to "state of the art"
Is there anyone who could write the same to him?
Probably, If they would not start their email with the handle Smellyfuzz they would have a little better chance of being taken seriously.
The guy he uses might be deaf from his racing cars.
If you live in NY and are into mastering and have not heard of Scott Hull or any of his work you might want to look into something else for an occupation. Scott was Bob Ludwigs right hand man for many years before going bigtime himself.
Does he really believe that I cannot hear the flaws in his mixdowns?
Definitely, Would you trust someone who called himself smellyfuzz
His Yamaha ns10's are as about as accurate as my fan.
Look at his credits.

Last edited:
Back