Comfortable with what i have :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe me, if I could afford it, I'd sell everything digital and go reel to reel, and I'm sure many (most?) people would
That in itself would make an interesting thread, "All things being equal, if expense and space was no object, what kind of recording set up would you have ?"
To be absolutely honest, as much as I love analog, I could never see myself going back to it, not even a 48 track 2" reel to reel. I think editing is part of the creative process of recording a finished song and it's not a new thing ~ they were editing back in the 50s.....

That in itself would make an interesting thread, "All things being equal, if expense and space was no object, what kind of recording set up would you have ?"
To be absolutely honest, as much as I love analog, I could never see myself going back to it, not even a 48 track 2" reel to reel. I think editing is part of the creative process of recording a finished song and it's not a new thing ~ they were editing back in the 50s.....
If expense and space were no object I'd have a rack full of HD24s and a nice large mixing console with a big 'puter monitor to do editing on.

I totally agree ...... there was no offense in my opinion so what was all the hubbub about?
I think where it started to go off track was when Jimmy said to the Doc that he was tired of him characterizing computers as inherently flawed when it comes to recording music {or words to that effect}. Then Steen agreed and it went progressively south from there. It did get really personal and that was unfortunate because I thought it was a nearly great thread up till then. Actually, even when Jimmy said his piece, it was said firmly but not rudely.
Maybe we all should have just gone for a cybermeal and drink after !
The irony is that the Doc's overall point {I really like the Doc, but I get some of his humour} doesn't really back up Tascan Man's assertions. A standalone recorder with hard disc is a computer of sorts.

Yeah, I have to qualify my statement. The editing capabalities that I've become used to from digital recording would not be something I'd be willing to give up. I've never spliced a tape and I don't want to start now. Other than that, I would love to record on 24 tracks of 2" tape. Who wouldn't?

Yeah, I have to qualify my statement. The editing capabalities that I've become used to from digital recording would not be something I'd be willing to give up. I've never spliced a tape and I don't want to start now.
That's why I keep saying that "digital is my razor blade". Funnilly enough, in the 70s when I was a teenager, I used to fix tapes with my dad's block, glue and razor. Mind you, there was nothing at stake then, fixing soul compilations !

Haha. I use 'blimey' a lot too. Crikey and Bocker also. :laughings:
I have a mate from Newcastle and she would say "Crike" instead of "Crikey". It just sounded so funny even though it used to really irritate me. When taking the piss, I put on a posh accent and say "Cripes !" or "Cripes and caramba !".
"Bocker" I've never heard of !

HAHA! Hey Grim. I just noticed that even your "Location" is somewhere between an essay and a novel. :laughings:.

That's funny as all crike. :D

Yeah ! They are the black and white to the front loader's colour. It's all Moroccan roll to me, but top loaders are pretty ancient. The last time I saw one was 1988 and I don't know anyone that even remembers them !

Really? Over here, at least in the middle east coast, the front loaders I only see on the luxury stuff. Most of it is top.

Maybe Bocker is/was just a Derby thing. There was a homeless man called Bocker Riley around here when I was young. Bocker became a name for any scruffy person or tramp.

THANKS GUYS,I WOULD HAVE NEVER THOUGHT THIS THREAD WOULD HAVE ENDED UP THIS LONG !!! :eatpopcorn::laughings::thumbs up::listeningmusic: I STILL LIKE MY HARDWARE MIXERS ;)

Jun

Tascam 2488 Neo Reviews - Is it worth nearly $1000?

Why You Should Ditch Software Recording and Switch to Workstations - A Tascam 2488 Neo Review!

As a professional musician who did thorough research before buying a workstation, I wished I had a collection of Tascam 2488 Neo reviews handy then! If you're trying to make up your mind about which multitracking workstation to buy, or whether to switch from Software Recording to multitracking workstations, then this article is exactly what you need!

Why drop software based recording?

•As a musician wanting to get to the next level and pushing the envelope - I started where we all do - culling free and amateur recording software and bad quality recording.
•My tussle with big name software solutions only led me to frustration as I tried to solve latency and driver issues. (I don't understand the concept of ASIO drivers, and thanks to workstations, I'll never need to). I had arrived at a point where I was literally ripping my hair out, because as a musician, I prize perfection, and nothing else.

The Features - this is a Powerhouse!

TheTascam 2488 is a powerhouse. It is very tough to go wrong with an 8-input interface box. This is a 24-track, 24-bit recorder, and it's safe to say - this is definitely one of the best 24-track machines out there.
•Updated mastering effects include multiband compression, EQ, and noise shaping for pro-sounding CD mixes
•3-band EQ on 24 channels, 8-inputs and stereo bus with high and low sweepable shelving bands, and full parametric mid band
•3 aux sends on all channels except the effects return
•Loop effect provides reverb, delay, chorus, and more on an aux send and return
•Assignable guitar multi-effects processor for overdrive, distortion, chorus, delay, flange, and more
•Up to 8 assignable dynamics processors for compression during recording or mixdown
•Dedicated stereo compressor on the stereo output
•8 inputs: 4 XLR with phantom power double as 1/4" mic/line inputs, plus 4 more 1/4" mic/line inputs
•19 - 45mm faders including master fader
•LCD display for viewing meters and editing parameters
•250 virtual tracks
•CDRW drive to record Audio CDs, import/export WAV files and backup hard drive
•High-speed USB 2.0 jack connects to PC or Mac for data backup and SMF/WAV files
•Recording resolution: 44.1kHz, 16-bit or 24-bit.

More features can be found right here! at Amazon.

As someone who places creativity over technical knowledge I firmly believe that this work station was the best decision I took for my multi track recording solutions.

I adore the sound and the sound quality. The DRY TRACKS are impeccable! Superbly clean. At 24 bits, this is nothing short of musician heaven. The built-in guitar amp modulation is something that benefited me personally.

All the I/O anyone could need, plus the ability to record 8 simultaneous inputs blows other competitors out of the park. And - I struggle to put this delicately - THE MACHINE RECORDS WITHOUT ANY LATENCY! Big smiles everywhere, especially those frustrated with digital recording solutions and "ASIO Driver matching".

When you're all done, out jumps a cd from the tray with your new brilliant creative ideas on it. No limitations. No compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back