Collab featuring Guernica on bass and Emeric on lead git!

theron

http://www.nowhereradio.com/theron/singles

The song is "Flawless Mile". I posted it a while back and was flattered and hugely rewarded to have Guernica cut a bass line and Emeric take care of the lead guitar that I couldn't possibly have played.

I toyed a bit with the original mix. I recut the lead vox and tampered with some rhthym git eq. I tried to give the d track more meat.

I seem to have reached a plateau on learning curve of mixing. My mixes are stuck in "So So-ville". My appologies to Guernica and Emeric for not putting there talented contributions in a more favorable light. I did want to share the collab and gain any improvments in the mix that I can.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Peace,

Theron.

The operation was a success and the patient lived!
Man, Guernica and Emeric added a lot to the track, as did the tweaks you mentioned. A good song got better.
Vocal is much better, strong and up front to deliver your excellent lyrics. Guernica is definitely a funkmeister, and I dug Emeric's lead, especially the way he switched horses so to speak.
Great collab, guys.
Theron, you know I dug this song from the start... I dig it even more now.

Mark

Well, well... what a collaboration! You know, Theron, I never heard the original, but this is one groovin' tune! Great solo by Emeric; the playing is in the cut, and the choice of tones is perfect. I could have stood to hear a few more crashes in and out of the transitions... The lead vocal could come up a hair in the mix, and the background vocals definitely need to come up. I'm looping this song as I write this, and it sounds really good. My foot can't quit tapping! Let's see... what else...? :D Guernica!!! THAT'S MY DOG! THAT'S MY DOG!:D A fine bass track, my man. You is layin' LOW in the cut! As solid as "Duck" Dunn, as flashy as Rocco Prestia. Tasty runs in just the right places... Dangerous. A fine collaboration, all in all. Great work, you guys!:D

I didn't catch the first one, but I understand that the present "reality ain't what it used to be." Bass Thumps, with impressive clarity. How the hell do you do that????

Leads=tasty. Which ones belong to whom? The vocal sounds f*&%ing GREAT. Needs a touch more level for my taste (my vox are always too loud), but it sounds excellent. This should be listened to LOUD, and it loses nothing when you do.

'scuse me whilst I kiss my fade-away.

"mend and move along"

Wish I could offer something helpful, but it sounds great to me.
:D
-chris

Hey mkg,

Glad you hear an improvment. It would be hard for the song not to be better with the great additions of bass and lead git.

Thanks for listening again!

caretaker9,
Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words. I think you're right about the vox needing to be nudged up a tad. Peace......

Chris,
Leads=tasty. Which ones belong to whom?

Well, the first one was Emeric, then it was Emeric and the final section was........Emeric.

Thanks alot for the ear and gratious words.

Peace,
Theron.

very impressive!

i think the vocal level is fine but the bass is too high.

bkgrnd vocal could come up.

nice and funky and very contemporary sounding. the bass playing is sweet.

:)

Very crisp.

Everything is tight. Sounds like a real drummer--am I wrong. I dig the bass-I think it sits fine. Everything sits perfectly.

Big vox, but not overpowering. Could use a little more melody. Solo is good (beautiful)-but extraneous.

-Jett

Extraneous!!

No way man!... hehe :). It is a long solo section and I found it somewhat difficult to play over that many bars.

Thanks for the comments on my part, all, and thanks Theron for letting me play on it.

Wow,sounds great!

The bass is outstanding,as is the guitar playing.
Vocals are right there!

Really great job you guys,well done!

Enjoyed it very much.

Best to you,
Pete

Great collaboration here. The bass adds a lot of meat to this recording and it really grooves!

I love the 2:10 (or so) break with the vocals coming full to the fore ... sounds excellent!

This thing really moves. Nice solo and vocals. I can't give real mixing advice cos' I'm on the lo-fi, but it sounds good. The guitar at the very beginning came in a little loud, but that was really the only thing I noticed.

This sounded great!

Congrats guys!

Hey jeap,
I'll check those bkvx levels. Thanks for the listen.

jet-rocker,
Drums were done useing dddrummer (loops). I arranged the tune and might have given the lead git too much room but, I think Eneric did a fine job filling it up.
Thanks for your comments..

Thanks for the positive words Pete. Appreciate your time.

boydrj,
Glad you like the tune. Nice to hear nice things:)
Guenica's bass definately makes the rhythm work and goes very far in defining the song!!

:) :)

I heard it the first time, and now it is kickin'...

Guernica, great bass technique and SOUND! ...though maybe a touch busy through out the mix...
....and Emeric nice guitar solo man...

/DMM

good entertainment, for sure.

my gripes are that the bass playing, rhythm guitars....are stuff you would expect at the Jamfest 2002, etc. It is kinda hard to streach this into a song format FOR ME. The bass as nice as it is, is too busy to hold down a bottom end. Kinda like(what happened)...a hired gun was used for the bass, and they had to show it. The solo is nice also, but like I said, stuff would expect at a nice jam session. The song needs a stronger form and some more production to make it more desirable to listen to it repeated times. The rhy gtr really makes it tough to do so with its repetitve strumming pattern. On the postive, the recording and mix IS much better than you give yourself credit for. Great colab....that deserves BIG merit in its own right.

Very good guys! Nice bass work although it was just a little bit too hot. And Emeric's solo was smokin' :D Very good playing on both your parts. And the bed tracks done by Theron are good also. I love collabs and this is a very good one. How'd you handles the transfers of your files?

Great song overall. Amazing groovy bass line, that blends really well with the drums. I feel that the ride cymbal has a tad too much high frequencies. The crash sounds right though! Really good lead guitar tone there!

Cheers!
KB

Kick Ass!. I very much dig the funked up bass. It punchs through very nicely. What was the chain on that? And Emeric, excellent chops my friend. I like the guitar voice changes. Very clever touch. I know what you mean about laying a long lead down. It's hard to keep thinking of riffs you haven't already pulled out of the bag. Killer, boys!:D

Is that Flea on bass?

nice!! This collaboration turned out great! You guys make a good band. :D

I liked it a lot.. Great bass.. Maybe some lower notes here and there would have helped with the bottom end, but it's not a big deal.. The playing is great.. I really like Emeric's solos too.. I would have liked more of them though.. It would have been cool if he kept going, and at the end throwing licks in between the vocals etc.. Just to keep it exciting.. Great job by all you crazy internet folk! :D

I really liked it overall.. Nice sound.. more leads please. :D

How was this done?

Wow, excellent groovy feel. It's like a bass players dream. The mix is very smooth on my end. I like the vocal treatment a lot, is there a slight chorus effect. I like that double time feel into the guitar solo, and the solo rocks. Sounds like great session players having a good time. I don't know why it reminds me of Sheryl Crowe's first album, maybe it's the joy that comes across.

Awesome!

Jon

OK. Stop it! You guys are having WAY TOO MUCH FUN here! Hey, I dug it! Nice playing overall and a fun tune/groove too. Great work. Collabs forever!

Wow,
Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

mcmd, Thanks for listening again. Glad you liked the outcome.

mixmkr,
Valid and acute points on the rythm section and overall feel. I tried to cut a different rhythm before the collab was done but, it just wasn't in me. Thanks for checking in saying what's what.

Lt Bob.,
Thanks for the feedback. As far as files go, Guernica downloaded an mp3 and then tracked in stereo with his bass panned hard to one side and the rest of the mix hard to the other. I got rid of the side with the mp3 and was left with just his bass track to incorporate into the song. Emeric sent me zipped wave files that I stuck into the tune and mixed. I extended the d track to the very begining of the song and used it as a click. When I remixed, I cleaned all of it up and was done.

kartikbala, Thanks alot for the listen. The ride is part of the whole d-track and I've no individual control over.

Track Rat,
Thanks for dropping in. Yes, I believe I recieved excelent assistance when I asked for a bass line and a lead git!!

Sam,
How was this done? Check my reply to Lt Bob. Two different methods in one song and I've only been on the internet for a year. Thanks for the positive vibes......

jjtcorsair, Good ear. I used a thin coat of reverb and a splash of chorus on the vox. Glad you dug the tune....

crawdad,
Thanks. For me, it was rewarding to hear the ideas in my head come closer into being with the collab as, it was more than my musician skills could muster alone....

Peace,

Theron.

Back