cocteau twins drum sounds

zazz

hmmmm
does anyone know what drum machine was used on "treasure"...on searching the web it seems to say the roland 808 but the drum sound on treasure sounds much better that the 808 which got me wondering if there wasnt some sampler or something being used.

Hmmm, interesting. I'd try doing a search on drum machines that were available in the year that record came out. I wouldn't be surprised if a Linn Drum was involved. That's a good record - I have that one on vinyl. I may have to add that to my "digitize" list!

zazz said:
does anyone know what drum machine was used on "treasure"...on searching the web it seems to say the roland 808 but the drum sound on treasure sounds much better that the 808 which got me wondering if there wasnt some sampler or something being used.

Hmm,...

Someone pondering recently similar study found his answer here : http://www.simonraymonde.com/html/contact.html

He actually received his data ;)

As ex. CT member who responds (what I hear) almost frequently, I think it is safe bet he will tell you exactly the drums data.

direct line to the gods eh? i will give it a try..nothing to lose!! thanks for that.

somewhere it was implied that the 808`s shortcomings were corrected by compressers/eq and reverb ect...but even so there is a limit to how far you can go.

ok the email is sent..let see what happens.

acctually it does work ....i had a bit of an email exchange with will seargent (bunnymen guitarist) over some aspects...he just answered my questions without a hesitation.

EVT said:
Did it have to do with samples? That's what I thought.
Not samples - it was a Drumulator. The poor man's Linn Drum. They were 1/3 the price of a Linn and sounded almost as good.

Mine was pre-midi, but had some way to sync it because I got it to sync to a TR-606.

I know the Cocteau Twins made some records with this machine, but since all my CT faves are mp3'd I don't know which LP the songs with the distinctive Drumulator kick are from...

Back