Class A solid state electronics

Class A - Class B

Class B will take a signal and split it in half and amplify the two halves. Then the signal is re-spliced on the output. Occasionally there is distortion where the two halves meet back up if both sides of the amplifier don't EXACTLY match. In a well designed system, you won't be able to tell.

Class B uses less power than class A.

Class A forces the WHOLE signal through an amplifying device, no splitting, splicing, or "crossover distortion."

A poorly designed class A amp will not sound better than a well-designed class B amp.

Most people will not be able to tell the difference between the two classes if they are properly built.

Treeline said:
Here's a quick primer:

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/ampclasses.html

Now who in the class can tell me what Class H means? :cool:

Hint: A Class H amp fools around with voltage levels, is very efficient (lots of punch for the juice it uses) and as my back will attest, VERY heavy. :D

If I remember right class H amplifiers modulate the rail voltage using the input signal...............I think my old souncraftsmen amplifier was class H........weighed about 70lbs was about 300watts@8 Ohms :rolleyes:

DonGraham said:
If I remember right class H amplifiers modulate the rail voltage using the input signal...............I think my old souncraftsmen amplifier was class H........weighed about 70lbs was about 300watts@8 Ohms :rolleyes:

Everything was heavy in those days. With switching technology, class H is very low weight, just like anything else.
:)

dougedmunds said:
The M-Audio Nova mic has
"Class A solid state electronics"

What does that mean?

The term "Class A" has come to imply quality sound because of the legacy of great vintage gear and indeed some modern gear that uses that topology. In reality it says nothing about the sound or quality of a design. "Solid state" merely implies that there are no valves in the circuit.

In something like the nova mic "Class A" is used because its the simplest topology and is thus small and cheap to produce.

Back