Clarity in your mix

If you are familiar with Tame Impala, I personally love his production. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S42EsIDXpM

The recording is dirty, warm and raw:eek: (sorry for the imagery), anyway at the same time you can hear every instrument clearly. I can't figure out how he got such good separation while the tracks are pretty thick. I know the mastering process probably did the trick but, this guy recorded the album at home on a digital multi-track and it's amazing the sounds he got. Have a listen for yourself if you're interested. If you haven't heard them, the guy writes, plays all the instruments, records and produces it himself. He's got numerous awards for his production and is world famous in only 2 years. The guy is pretty awesome. Actually, he's inspiration to every home recording artist.

Do we know Tame Impala, our local lads doing good. It is actually a whole band with a studio line up and an extended live line up. They only recorded the first album at home, studio stuff followed.

He has been playing for a bit longer than 2 years.

Alan.

As much as [mastering engineers in general] would love to take credit for things like "clarity" -- We can certainly enhance it - We can "fabricate" it to some extent, but believe me -- Just about EVERY recording is 90% "the source" -- Then, capturing that source in a way that benefits the recording as a whole. Then, mixing those sources in a way that benefits each mix as a whole. THEN, a mastering engineer that works to benefit all of those recordings individually *and* as a whole project.

That all said -- Some of the greatest recordings I've ever worked on were done in rather humble home studios. And some of the worst recordings I've ever worked on were done in some of the most advanced studios on the planet. And the other way around on both accounts. Great songs -> great sounds -> great capturing / recordings -> great mixes -> great mastering = great albums. Take any of those out and it's another story.

Back