Choosing an Audio Interface - Narrowed down, but many quirks and worries...

Pengu1n

So, after browsing this forum for awhile, asking questions, reading a book I bought, reading online stuff like Tweak's guide, I've finally... figured out what I want in an audio interface. Haven't decided on one yet. Hopefully this topic bridge the gap! Anything in BLUE I'm uncertain of. Anything with two asterisks in front of it I have already bought, non negotiable.

Anyway, here's what I need to hook up

Instruments
-**LTD Xtone Series Acoustic/Electric Guitar (Standard Instrument Cable)
-Studio Projects B1 Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone - XLR Cable, Needs Phantom Power.
-**Yamaha YPG-635 Keyboard - Can only do USB... so I will likely have to just connect this straight to the computer.
-Akai MPD18 Compact Pad Controller - MIDI cable needed.

Outputs
Dual Active Monitors / Headphones (One at a time)
Macbook Pro with OSX with Garageband and Windows 7 with Reason 5, 64 bit.

Other Requirements
It should be firewire, as from what I can tell this is much better than USB.

Main ??'s
1) Currently all my composing/ recording is done by plugging in my MIDI keyboard to the computer, then booting up Garageband or Reason 5. Garageband works great for what it's intended to do. Reason 5 (On windows 7) has big latency issues. Someone told me to install the ASIO drivers, but when I turn them on I get no sound output from my computer. even though I will be plugging in my piano and possibly the AKAI straight to USB, I will still get the soundcard, driver and low latency benefit of my Audio Interface, right?

2) RESOLVED

3) For the AKAI MIDI Controller, I know it will work with Reason. But will there be an onscreen pad on whatever other software I get? I don't know much about software. Do most of them come with some sort of thing that will go with the AKAI?

So, without further adieu, here's everything I've been considering, in no particular order. I listed only the cons and a brief note (everything else matches up with what I want). Once again, blue is something I'm unsure of. So if a con is blue, that means I'm hoping I'm just missing some info. If a con is black, it's set in stone. The goal is to just keep reducing cons until I can reduce no more, and then I'll likely take the audio interface with the least cons and no dealbreakers. Ok, now without further adieu, I swear.

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile FireWire Audio Interface - By far what seems like the best, most used beginner interface
- No MIDI Input, so I can't use the AKAI Pad Controller. Right now, this is a dealbreaker.
- RESOLVED

Tascam US144 MKII USB 2.0 Audio Interface - It's super cheap
- It's not firewire. (But that's not that much worse)
- RESOLVED
- 'It's super cheap" may also be a con, might be too cheap, considering I'm willing to spend more on better quality
- RESOLVED

Tascam US800 8-Channel USB Audio Interfacece - Step up from the previous.
- Pretty much the exact same concerns as above.

Echo AudioFire4 6-Channel Portable FireWire Audio Interface - Has every input I need, and ASIO drivers, which are good!
- RESOLVED
- RESOLVED
- Top choice right now?

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 FireWire Audio Interface - Has all the inputs/outputs I need.
- RESOLVED
- RESOLVED
- Haven't heard much about this one on these forums or tweak's guide.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP FireWire Audio Interface with VRM Technology Pretty much the same as above, with some "improvements".
- VRM Looks cool, but is not critical.
- Says it's protools ready, but I think that just means you could use it with protools. Does it actually come with it?

RESOLVED

Any help on any small question I have in here is greatly appreciated, I don't expect people to go through and answer every question, just tell me what you know. Thank you so much with this, this forum has to be one of the best things I've found online in the past year...

Last edited:
Don't pay too much attention to the software bundled with an interface, it will almost invariably be the "Lite" version. Either you'll like the software (and possibly upgrade to the full version, the reason they bundle software) or you won't like it and you'll try something else.

And a quick Google tells me the Akai MPD18 is a MIDI-over-USB device. You need an available USB port, not a MIDI connection. (Unless I misunderstand the Akai website and it also has MIDI ports...there's no picture of the back connections)

Presonus firestudio mobile: no midi, but not necessary if you can get midi via USB.

Tascam: USB is fine. Firewire is not critical. I've not heard of any reliability problems with its phantom power supply. Doesn't matter what software comes bundled with it.

Echo: google pictures show a 48v LED, so it has phantom power for condensers.

Focusrite: has phantom power: google images show +48v switch on the front. VRM might be nice, but not a critical element.

Any of these should solve your latency problems. Just remember that the interface is a fancy way of saying 'soundcard'. So forget about any onboard sound cards and do all your monitoring via the interface.

Re latency: I have my Casio WK500 MIDI-through USB direct into my computer and with Reaper there is no latency issue.

Ok, I removed many of the cons I had, including any software issues or phantom power issues.

As far as the AKAI goes, I have no idea what input it has. On zZounds, the only related item is a straight up MIDI cable. However, online it looks like it has the same port as my piano.

And just to be clear, even though I will be plugging in my piano and possibly the AKAI straight to USB, I will still get the soundcard, driver and low latency benefit of my Audio Interface, right?

Ok, I removed many of the cons I had, including any software issues or phantom power issues.

As far as the AKAI goes, I have no idea what input it has. On zZounds, the only related item is a straight up MIDI cable. However, online it looks like it has the same port as my piano.

And just to be clear, even though I will be plugging in my piano and possibly the AKAI straight to USB, I will still get the soundcard, driver and low latency benefit of my Audio Interface, right?

Your interface will be your soundcard, so yes

Back