check out my latest creation (vocal booth)

Chaotic

I havent been on this board in a while, but for good reasons, Ive been busy. Im in the process of getting a bunch of things off the ground. One of those things is a little side business I've started, building vocal booths, desks/racks, acoustic treatments and other assorted studio goodies.

Check out the latest booth Ive finished: Its 4'x5'x7' on the interior, with double layered sheetrock on the walls, a stained oak hardwood floor, a 2" thick solid wood door w/ spring loaded hinges, an oak cable port, a double-paned window, LED Lighting, Fabric-wrapped panels of 4" thick OC 703 acoustic insulation on the walls, ceiling and interior of door, a natural wood encased exterior and finished it off with moulding and trim. check it out!

untitled17.jpg

untitled14.jpg

untitled1.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled7.jpg

untitled8.jpg

untitled9.jpg

untitled10.jpg

untitled11.jpg

untitled18.jpg

Last edited:
sorry, but i'd never be able to sing in there. the walls would completely amaze and dumfound me :eek:

i was also wondering beside subjective sound quality, any room measurements regarding frequency response, reverberation, modes, etc?

Nice cave :D

Do you do the work yourself?

Yes, I do the work myself.

It sounds DEAD. which is what i was going for. The interior dimensions are 4x5x7. Its not possible to properly tune a room that small. So a dead space is the best solution. The user can add depth and dimension with reverbs, delays, etc. Vocals are right up front without any crappy room reflections.

No HVAC was installed on this booth, my client felt it wasnt necessary, since the room that the booth is in is climate controlled. I did leave a space for the HVAC, in case he should want it down the road.

The pictures came out a little bright, the orange and red look a lot warmer in person.

I will be setting up a website with specs in the near future. Im still gathering information.

Yes, I do the work myself.

It sounds DEAD. which is what i was going for. The interior dimensions are 4x5x7. Its not possible to properly tune a room that small. So a dead space is the best solution. The user can add depth and dimension with reverbs, delays, etc. Vocals are right up front without any crappy room reflections.

No HVAC was installed on this booth, my client felt it wasnt necessary, since the room that the booth is in is climate controlled. I did leave a space for the HVAC, in case he should want it down the road.

The pictures came out a little bright, the orange and red look a lot warmer in person.

I will be setting up a website with specs in the near future. Im still gathering information.
Very nice. Only thing i can see to criticize is the use of only one door. This will, imo, be the weak point. Everything else seems to be double(double wall, double glazing) then a single door. But I'm sure you have worked out that that is all you need, i hope. Looks very nicely built though. :D

Very nice. Only thing i can see to criticize is the use of only one door. This will, imo, be the weak point. Everything else seems to be double(double wall, double glazing) then a single door. But I'm sure you have worked out that that is all you need, i hope. Looks very nicely built though. :D

Originally it had a double door system. However after my client spent a day or two working with the booth, he decided that he wanted a single door. The reason being space. The interior dimensions are 4x5. If he was only tracking vocals, everything would have been fine. But he also wanted to be able to mic up an acoustic guitar. With a double door system, the interior door swings into the booth. That made positioning the mic stands and guitarist, while still having enough room to get in and out of the booth difficult. I did explain to him that having a single door would cut down the amount of isolation, and he was ok with that. so out came the door.

It still did a good job of isolation. The door is a 2" thick solid wood door, with a 4" thick panel of OC 703 mounted to it. I used neoprene weatherstripping to seal the door, and spring loaded hinges to hold it shut. but a 2 door system would have yeilded better isolation for sure.

Originally it had a double door system. However after my client spent a day or two working with the booth, he decided that he wanted a single door. The reason being space. The interior dimensions are 4x5. If he was only tracking vocals, everything would have been fine. But he also wanted to be able to mic up an acoustic guitar. With a double door system, the interior door swings into the booth. That made positioning the mic stands and guitarist, while still having enough room to get in and out of the booth difficult. I did explain to him that having a single door would cut down the amount of isolation, and he was ok with that. so out came the door.

It still did a good job of isolation. The door is a 2" thick solid wood door, with a 4" thick panel of OC 703 mounted to it. I used neoprene weatherstripping to seal the door, and spring loaded hinges to hold it shut. but a 2 door system would have yeilded better isolation for sure.
Good to hear you know what you're talking about :D

Back