cheapish bass

thanks for the replies. The only thing why I'm not too sure about buying used is that because I haven't ever even had a bass lesson and I am an electric guitarist. I'm worried that if I buy used then if there is a tiny problem I won't really understand how to fix it, I mean it's unlikely I know but if it's knew then i know that it is in top condition

Actually, no you don't. In the very cheap price range, instruments are very likely to be shipped brand new with major flaws. I would go to a big guitar store with a good bass player. When you find one that feels good to you, and the bass player says he can't find anything wrong with it, and it's in your price range, you're there. I'm also not a bass player, but I needed a cheapie for the studio to test some bass recording signal chains, and just to mess around with. I wound up with a Squier P-bass that works fine for me, but my needs are very limited. Interestingly, I have never played a Squier guitar that didn't suck, but I never have found anything wrong with this bass. Maybe I just got lucky. I bought it for $112 new.

"I've heard a lot of tunes in the clinic over the years where the bass sounded horrible even though the poster had some high dollar instrument with a nice DI box. Conversely, a lot of the best sounding bass tracks were revealed to be squires or other cheapish models."

It sure does help, to be able to play.:thumbs up:

It also helps to have a good signal chain. It really helps that I can plug my $118 Squier P-bass into the Avalon.

The only thing why I'm not too sure about buying used is that because I haven't ever even had a bass lesson and I am an electric guitarist. I'm worried that if I buy used then if there is a tiny problem I won't really understand how to fix it,

Aw come on, a bass is just a guitar with thick strings.

SX basses are quite nice for the money. I do not have one personally but I have played them. I know they have some European distribution however I do not know the website. In the US is around 100 bucks for a P or J bass clone.

I do have one and like it a lot actually.

Spent $150 on a brand new 5 string Jazz copy. The major plus of these knock offs is a solid piece of wood (in my case an ash body) vs basswood or composite they throw on other junk. The neck playes fine, it's nothing compared to the USA fender 4 J I also have but in terms of sound out of the box the thing sounds and plays well.

Honestly I think I would like it just as much as the fender in terms of sound if I threw in some new pickups, the thing sounds really good for a kicker stock though.

My only complaint (and it's a fairly big complaint) is IMO the scale they went with for a 5 string is a bit short and getting the low B string to intonate correctly isn't really all there. I have the saddle all the way out and it's still off by just a smidge. It's still totally fine for a $150 instrument though.

I have a feeling the 4 string version is perfect.

the bass guitar is one area where you can skimp. As long as it's playable and stays in tune

with the bassist's cheap bass I can find the sound I want - so getting a similar bass for a similar price but new is a good option then surely?

In the very cheap price range, instruments are very likely to be shipped brand new with major flaws....
To balance what I said earlier, I've had two cheap basses that had lousy sounds. Funnilly enough, they were both Hondos. I gave one away to a kid who then embarked on a life of crime and swapped the other for a Fender Musicmaster which I had stoned down to a fretless.

Having played bass professionally for 15 years (I still play, but not as first instrument), I would say you are correct, with one caveat. There is definitely a better playability to a high dollar Fender, or a Rick, an especially a vintage Alembic. They just feel better. You get a great sound from a great vintage bass, just as you get a better sound from a vintage Les Paul that's been played 4-8 house a day over a brand new one. There's a resonance and tonal quality that's built up from using an instrument that goes into the wood of the guitar itself.

But, dialing in the tone you want, is definitely easier with newer basses. The electronics on that Alembic, or the Rick have distinctive tones (listen to every Rush album and you'll see what I mean). Whereas a new Yamaha or SX has some great electronics that will give you great sound. So the best of both worlds, as has been posted several times, is to get a used bass that plays well, sounds great, and costs little! Then, of course, the next step is getting the sound IN. Your DI has to pass muster. Other than that, have fun, create, be happy!

Silvertone SSLB11 Revolver 4 String Bass, Sunburst

I bought this Silvertone SSLB11 Revolver 4 String Bass, Sunburst brand new as a package deal with 10W amp for $79.00 on Amazon a few months ago. Thing plays fine and the little amp ain't bad either. There are a couple YouTubes on it.

Having played bass professionally for 15 years (I still play, but not as first instrument), I would say you are correct, with one caveat. There is definitely a better playability to a high dollar Fender, or a Rick, an especially a vintage Alembic. They just feel better. You get a great sound from a great vintage bass, just as you get a better sound from a vintage Les Paul that's been played 4-8 house a day over a brand new one. There's a resonance and tonal quality that's built up from using an instrument that goes into the wood of the guitar itself.

But, dialing in the tone you want, is definitely easier with newer basses. The electronics on that Alembic, or the Rick have distinctive tones (listen to every Rush album and you'll see what I mean). Whereas a new Yamaha or SX has some great electronics that will give you great sound. So the best of both worlds, as has been posted several times, is to get a used bass that plays well, sounds great, and costs little! Then, of course, the next step is getting the sound IN. Your DI has to pass muster. Other than that, have fun, create, be happy!

I've been playing since Biblical times, and I agree.;)

Ricks can't be beat.....for a measly thousand bucks.:thumbs up:

Hey what do you know I have a clip of that SX bass:

Bass only.mp3
I only had some eq on it, this was all that was on it:
Screen%20shot%202011-10-31%20at%2012.15.03%20PM.png

Here is what it sounded like in the mix:
SX bass in mix.mp3

I can't seem to find the bass on Rondo anymore though. :(

They must have DC'ed it. All I can find is an Alder bodied 5 string jazz and it looks nothing like what I have.

Back