Cheap microphone

neetroxX

Hello!
I have i small homestudio but my microphone i use right now doesnt as good as I want! :(
The mic I use right now is a Behringer XM1800S.
I want a mic that i can pic up sounds from amps, vocal and maby drums (as a overhead).
Does someone have a idea witch mic I am looking for? :)
Thank You! :D

SM57 is what i will recommend you for picking up the amps. But it is not exactly suitable for overheads. It is pretty good on the snares too.

Perhaps stating your budget might help the experienced users to identify what is best for you. =)

Thanks for your answer! But is a SM57 good to take up vocal? Thats the main thing for me. :)
My budget is just around 150$

If you can only get one microphone, the SM57 is a fine choice and in your budget. Be sure you buy from a reputable dealer, as there are a lot of knockoffs floating around.

The 57 will do OK for vocals, although there are so many variables, you could do better or worse with any number of microphones depending on the singer and the sound you are after. FWIW, I did not like the 57 on vocals, and at a time when I only had a choice between a 57 and an ancient EV631 (?) "Elvis" mic, I went with the latter, as, to me, it had a "warmer" sound.

But you're saying drum overhead, which implies more than one mic on the kit, and I'd recommend something other than a 57 for an overhead. It's great on the snare though. All of this is "conventional wisdom" but I've had success with a 57 knockoff on kick (intentionally purchased), a real 57 on snare and a condenser positioned over the right shoulder of the drummer between the ride and the floor tom at about an arms length above the ride.

Since the OP states this is for studio use, and mentioned drum overheads, wondering if an EV 635 might not be useful. If I HAD to use one mic for OH's, was limited to $150.00 and was doing studio work, that would not be a bad choice.

Back