Cheap analogue mixing desks?

P.T. Barnum lives!

Wasn't he known for his shameless self-promotion [and blatant 'puffery'], a pure businessman, who knew how to profit from his endeavors? Hey, that's hardly me. In fact, I'm pretty pathetic at business. But if I recall correct, you're pretty good at it, from some of the threads that I've seen. In fact, my absolute favorite quote [from the "Guitars and Basses" forum], one of the members responding to your apparent 'self promotion' thread, is: "Hey Rick did you have a question about guitar/bass gear or are you just here to pimp yourself like a 20 dollar hooker? Do you also sell CDs and gold jewelry out of your trunk?". Seems like you get a free pass in certain places and you know it. Sorry to bring it up but your ego gets the best of you. Peace man.:cool:

------

The engineering staff at TEAC didn't refer to the Model 2 and 2A as the "toads" because they were so proud of them.

SECK_18_8_2.jpg

Seck 1882 MK2, one of the best, but rare as well, I have three of them for location recordings.

The Model 2A was a piece of garbage. Nosy Hi-Z mic inputs. Single-ended power supply, as I recall. Picked up RFI at the drop of a hat.
Actually, it was not a bad "starter" mixer if you knew how to play with it. RF was certainly a problem. I could tune it radio stations on the mic pres until I got transformers for the two that I had, but then, I would never have used Hi Z mics. It was probably silly of me to buy a couple of cheap mixers (and I got them at 50% of then retail, sort of a two fer one deal) and then have to buy transformers to make them work properly, but then, what did I know at the time? Overall, for the $$ it wasn't too bad and there really wasn't anything in its price range to compare to at the time.

His CD is actually quite good. Silly me, I bought one and enjoyed it.

I'm not inferring one way or another and certainly not insinuating that anyone who buys a RR's CD is 'silly' but I think I may not have been clear as to my point earlier, which was simply that I did not care for Mr. Ruskin’s PT Barnum reference and insinuation that I was some kind of a ‘circus showman’, that I somehow 'suckered' people into believing something that I said. And thus I replied, as well as I could, using Rick’s own reference. Now, if Rick meant something else, then I'm stumped 'cause why would you invoke PT Barnum, unless you wanted to take a shot at someone, especially in that context?

--

It was probably silly of me to buy a couple of cheap mixers (and I got them at 50% of then retail, sort of a two fer one deal) and then have to buy transformers to make them work properly, but then, what did I know at the time? Overall, for the $$ it wasn't too bad and there really wasn't anything in its price range to compare to at the time.

Richard, there is no need to explain yourself with the choice that you've made. The 2A was a good mixer, for what it was. You weren't silly for having bought them at the time, in contrast to what RR would surely make you believe.

---

The engineering staff at TEAC didn't refer to the Model 2 and 2A as the "toads" because they were so proud of them.

I go by my own 'hands on' experience with the 2A and by my ears so whatever TEAC may have or may have not said about the mixer at the time is no relevance to me.

---

.... I did not care for Mr. Ruskin’s PT Barnum reference and insinuation that I was some kind of a ‘circus showman’ ...

--
I did.
.... if Rick meant something else ...
--
What ever he 'actually' meant is irrelevant.

Hey, Ruskin, just another special ( ;) ) note for you:
If Twisting is your thing - go ahead, twist away. Weeeeeeeeee-Wow!- You are good! :D And, You'll ultimately get what you twist for, because at the end a Pretentious Sharpy Twister always fails to cover the embeded Dullness of the Cortex.

......I did not care for Mr. Ruskin’s PT Barnum reference and insinuation that I was some kind of a ‘circus showman’, that I somehow 'suckered' people into believing something that I said. And thus I replied, as well as I could, using Rick’s own reference. Now, if Rick meant something else, then I'm stumped 'cause why would you invoke PT Barnum, unless you wanted to take a shot at someone, especially in that context?

--

The PT Barnum reference was not aimed at you or anyone else in particular. In hindsight, I see how it could have been taken that way and apologize for the poor choice of words.

I still stand by my assessment of the Model 2. (I had one and therefore, consider myself to have been one of Barnum's victims.)

Guys, help me understand how to set up a console...

Let´s say I have a 16 channels mixer (with direct out and inserts on every channel) and an 10 inputs / 10 outputs sound card (something like the FirePod or similar).

I would like to know how to set it up to being able to mix outside the box... Like larger studios do with their SSL´s...

I supposed it goes like this:

Mics - Console - Soundcard - and then: Soundcard - Console - Soundcard again (as a stereo track)?

Am I making any sense? Thanks!

Anyone? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Funny that this would show up tonight. Take a look at the box in the background of this shot from tonight's "Law and Order CI" on USA-HD. I believe, in fact, I know, that's a Teac MB-20 Meter Bridge in the cop's surveillance van. It's funny where these things show up. ;) I don't know what that portable mixer is though. Anyone recognize it?

Attachments

• 2008-06-15_223221.jpg
    2008-06-15_223221.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 59
The PT Barnum reference was not aimed at you or anyone else in particular. In hindsight, I see how it could have been taken that way and apologize for the poor choice of words.

OK, cool. No damage done. Thanks for clarifying. I too wish to retract the rather harsh reply, to that reference, which now seems a mis-understanding / mis-communication.

I still stand by my assessment of the Model 2. (I had one and therefore, consider myself to have been one of Barnum's victims.)

I agree that there are some short-comings with the 2A, some you've already mentioned but then there are some niceties too, especially for the money, IMHO. I agree that one could do better than the 2A but then again this can be said of any piece of gear out-there. The 2A is what it is...

----

Funny that this would show up tonight. Take a look at the box in the background of this shot from tonight's "Law and Order CI" on USA-HD. I believe, in fact, I know, that's a Teac MB-20 Meter Bridge in the cop's surveillance van. It's funny where these things show up. ;) I don't know what that portable mixer is though. Anyone recognize it?

Yeah, that's a pretty cool find. Can't see the 2A though ;).. and I sure am stumped as to that 'bluish' portable mixer.:confused:

----

Back