Cheap 2-channel analog audio input, via USB, to Mac?

dpbsmith

I want to plug red and white stereo audio RCA plugs into jacks on a gadget, plug the gadget into a USB port on my Mac Mini, and have the Mac... and Audacity... recognize and record two-channel stereo input.

It only sees one channel input from a small "stereo audio" USB adaptee. I bought a $50 Pyle "2-channel DJ mixer," PAD12MXUBT, but it only supports one channel via the USB interface, and Pyle support confirms that the device "records mono only."

Short of hundreds of dollars of home studio gear, is there a low-cost way to add red-and-white-RCA stereo audio inputs to my Mac? (And, no, the mic input is mono only).

Details:

Mac Mini 2023
Apple M2 Pro
16 GB
macOS Ventura, version 13.4

Mixer directly connected to USB port on Mac

This screenshot shows how the device ("MP") is seen by the Mac. The second shows a webcam and is included just to show that the Mac hardware and OS are capable of recognizing a USB device as supplying two-channel audio.
Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 9.38.18 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-06-01 at 9.38.05 PM.png

Recording application is Audacity 3.3.2

As you’d expect, since the Mac doesn’t see two input channels, neither does Audacity. It doesn’t show me a two-channel option for MP (but it does for the webcam).

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 will do the job. USB powered. I use it myself with Audacity.
Two combo XlR Mic/pro-level line inputs with switch between the two options, just adapt with 1/4-inch unbalanced to RCA and you'll be good.

There will be a level difference between the pro-level (+4) line in on the Scarlett and the (presumably) consumer-level RCA feed, so you need to play with gain staging for things to be optimal, but it works great. I transferred cassettes from a deck using RCAs out into my PC with this setup.

The Scarlett 2I2 is the Volkswagen of audio interfaces, it has Phantom for mics as well; very versatile and portable.

C.

For a really cheap but really quite good enough for many sources solution, the Behringer UCA 202.
No input or output controls (there is a H/P VC) and it is resolutely a -10dBV device and max in and out is about 1V rms. 16 bits and 'Generic USB Audio Device' works on anything but I have never had a mac. Definitely gives two channels in Audacity.

Ideal tape dubbing tool e.g.

Dave.

I want to plug red and white stereo audio RCA plugs into jacks on a gadget, plug the gadget into a USB port on my Mac Mini, and have the Mac... and Audacity... recognize and record two-channel stereo input.

It only sees one channel input from a small "stereo audio" USB adaptee. I bought a $50 Pyle "2-channel DJ mixer," PAD12MXUBT, but it only supports one channel via the USB interface, and Pyle support confirms that the device "records mono only."

Short of hundreds of dollars of home studio gear, is there a low-cost way to add red-and-white-RCA stereo audio inputs to my Mac? (And, no, the mic input is mono only).

Details:

Mac Mini 2023
Apple M2 Pro
16 GB
macOS Ventura, version 13.4

Mixer directly connected to USB port on Mac

This screenshot shows how the device ("MP") is seen by the Mac. The second shows a webcam and is included just to show that the Mac hardware and OS are capable of recognizing a USB device as supplying two-channel audio.
View attachment 130155View attachment 130158

Recording application is Audacity 3.3.2

As you’d expect, since the Mac doesn’t see two input channels, neither does Audacity. It doesn’t show me a two-channel option for MP (but it does for the webcam).
The Pyle "2-channel DJ mixer," PAD12MXUBT is only one channel of audio - you can make it XLR or TS - but it's only one.

What Dave said. They've been around for at least a dozen years or more. Behringer has well recouped their R&D on those things, so you can't really get anything much cheaper AFAIK.

Back