Chasing Rainbows

TripleM-Hope you are enjoying your vacation! No need for any dying here.

erichenryus-Wow, that is cool, thanks a lot! I did the ol' tea towels on the drums thing, so the 'hey jude' comment, that is great. Thanks Eric!!

lynx-Thanks! My girlfriend thought the 'bows' was a bit weak, too. Will work on that if I do a remake at some point. Thanks very much!

Jagular-Thank you very much, very glad you like it!

ashulman-Thank you! I do tend to do a lot of sections. I don't mean to, it just sort of happens. Next song, I'm gonna just loop a bar :). As far as the 'demo' thing, I don't know, the positive feedback on this song makes me think the aim towards a more casual approach is a good idea. I may have been overcooking everything in the past. Thanks again!

Pedullist-But I don't wanna hang out with pros, they're all such meanies, with their technical know-how, and their varying mileage, and their dynamic microphones. Don't make me!! :p

Kramer-Wow, thanks Kramer. You are too kind. Seriously, I really really appreciate that.

Analytical Man-Wish I was living in Abbey Road studios, how cool would that be. Probably has air conditioning, too, unlike my sweltering pit. Thanks for the listen, appreciate it!

sloop-Glad you like the opening. I was going for sort of a jukebox in a greasy diner somewhere in the middle of nowhere kind of thing. I was gonna put in some sound effects, like a truck going by or something maybe. Thanks for the listen!

Bahris-Thank you! The same setup, NTK to API to Distressor to Paris. The mix is less crowded, definitely makes it easier to mix, that's for sure. The delay on the vocals is just the delay that comes with Paris, more often than not, I just use the Paris FX, it's easier, especially since my computer (Plll 450) can't handle very many plugins. Didn't use the POD!! Used my little Velocette, which blew up just as I did the last lick (the little line in the second chorus) :( :mad: . Didn't compress the electrics, compressed the acoustic a little bit during tracking, and then again during the mix with the Paris compressor. Don't have the British option on the Distressor (curious what it sounds like, though.) Do you have any songs up? i'd like to hear your voice! Thanks a lot, Andre!

One piece of advice, don't ever forget your "dad" ;) :)

I listended yesterday and did not have time to comment. Loved it. You are on the mark across the board - vocals, instruments, production, etc. Everything sounded so sweet.

The Beatle influence may have even been more pronounced in this song - at 2:22 - It's Lennon!

I have always been a fan. I thought this may have been your best production job. Reverb was great. Nice separation. Nice outro. Can't forget the intro!

The song/lyrics was not my favorite of yours, but that's like saying any Beatles song is not my favorite. What's that mean? Not much. It still rocks.

Nice.

HEY CRAWDAD!!!
I didn't forget you, I just hadn't got that far yet!!! I'm having a hard time doing the replying, but I'm determined to get everyone this time. Sorry about that!!

freshears-Hey David, thanks! Yeah, I'm the ugly one. I figure it adds a bit of contrast and depth :rolleyes: . If the Dixie Chicks or someone would cover this song, and I gets rich, I'm gonna go to the plastic surgeon and have them remix my face (retrack if necessary). FX-wise, there's the delay on the vocal, and then some reverb, EQ, and compression, and I think that's it. There's a vocal double on the chorus. Thanks David!

cat-eggs-Hi, good to know you're still around (reminds me to check out your site to see what you're up to). I get the ELO thing a lot, which is weird cuz I really don't listen to them. I was thinking early 70's on this though, for sure. Rolling Stones, Bowie (a little bit), Elton John, and when I put those harmonies on the second verse, I thought it sounded very country rock, kind of like the Eagles, which I don't listen to either, but I thought it fit the 70's countryness of the song. How come you don't like The Beatles (just curious, any particular reason, or just not into 'em)? Thanks very much, really glad you like what I'm doing. I think what you're doing is great, and you are very talented and creative. Thanks!!

Bahris-Hi again Dre. Wow, that's great that you like the electrics. As I said before, I used my little Velocette. It's really a cool little amp (now in need of repair :( ) I almost used the POD, I actually did some tracks with it on this song. But the POD is meretricious!

Toki987-Thanks a lot, I learned a bit myself on this one!

A1A2-Sorry I didn't reply to your email, I completely forgot!! Hope your recording went well. I'm having a hard time keeping up with internet stuff. "Quick" compared to the others, I just didn't worry about it too much. On the others, I would usually do them pretty quick, too, but then get bogged down in the mix, trying to figure out ways to make it "better". Like that New York compression thing (remember that?) But everything on this was just 1 or 2 takes, even the drums, which I usually spend a lot of time on. And the mix, I just did without sweating it too much. Tell your girlfriend thanks, and thanks very much AL. Sorry again about spacing on your email :o

Erland-Thanks a lot Erland! Would be fun to do a song together, though I am pretty short on time ( I was gonna do a collaboration with J. Marcomb a while ago, and never got to it, Jeff, if you are out there, I'm really sorry!) I was thinking of trying to "produce" one of your songs a while ago, like others have done, but never got around to that either :rolleyes: . There's just not enough time (or maybe I'm just lazy :p ). Plus, of course, my current collaborator gets jealous :). Thanks for checking out this song!!

participant and Pedullist-Talk about pressure. Shite! Maybe more like a reunion of The Rutles :).

deepseasquid- Al Stewart, hmm, I'll have to check him out. Thanks very much, I appreciate it!

Khompewtur-Thank you!! Yep, I am a Beatle fan, I admit it!

crawdad-Don't cry, I wouldn't forget you, you were the bloody inspiration for this song!! :) Very glad you like the mix. No strings (well, a little in the little solo, I had to stick some mellotron in somewhere :) ) and no POD, and just everything played quickly, almost improvised. It actually turned out more produced than I thought it would. Gonna have to try your EQ adjustment to see what that does. Thanks a lot Crawdad, and thanks for the song title
:).

Dre-Got it covered :). Any other questions, feel free! Thanks very much, really glad you like the recording.

skids-Thanks a lot. Really amazed at the number of comments saying this one might be the best production I've done. Really a lesson for me!! The time I could have saved on the others!! :rolleyes: I didn't really write this song for me, just did it as a test (although I can relate to the lyrics very much). My girlfriend thinks it could be really good if someone like the Dixie Chicks did it (maybe dump the bridge). But we may redo it together sometime for our little project. If you don't mind my asking, what did you not like about it, song/lyric-wise? Appreciate it greatly!

Thanks a lot everyone,
Macle

macle said:
skids-Thanks a lot. Really amazed at the number of comments saying this one might be the best production I've done. Really a lesson for me!! The time I could have saved on the others!! :rolleyes: I didn't really write this song for me, just did it as a test (although I can relate to the lyrics very much). My girlfriend thinks it could be really good if someone like the Dixie Chicks did it (maybe dump the bridge). But we may redo it together sometime for our little project. If you don't mind my asking, what did you not like about it, song/lyric-wise? Appreciate it greatly!
Macle

Macle,
First, I think the reason this song might sound better production wise is because it has less tracks (I assume). Plus I think you chose the perfect reverb. Also, Some of your other songs have so many effects. I think the digital plug-ins piled on top of each tend to thin the sound out.

As far as why I don't like the song/lyrics as much as some of the others - I think it is a feeling. Your others songs seem to have a wryness or a bite or maybe even a sadness underneath. This song seems a little more straight forward. A little more vanilla.

I will say it is still a great song and you are a great songwriter. Like I said it is just a preference thing. Maybe a difference between good and great. The song still would stand up nicely on your album. When is that out? :)

Todd

Good calls all around Todd. This song has less tracks, less plugins, etc. It's really difficult finding the balance between improving the sound and destroying the sound, everytime you add a part, or a plugin, or an effect. Like doubling a guitar, are you fattening the sound or thinning the sound, thickening or cluttering. On those early songs, I definitely bit off more than I could chew mixwise (there was the thought though, that they would all be properly mixed by a pro, so my mixes weren't thought to be too crucial.)

I agree, too, on the vanilla aspect. I suppose that was intentional, the last few songs I've done I wanted to be sort of 'normal' and more accessible or positive or something. I'm definitely in the mood now to be a bit more wry and negative :p!

As far as an album goes, there really are no plans for one. Maybe eventually...but I figure, if there was one, people would just download ripped mp3s, so might as well just give them away like I've been doing, and eliminate the hassle of making CDs and packaging and mastering and distribution and contracts and all that!

Thanks a lot for the feedback Todd, I really appreciate it!

Macle

Back