Chasing Rainbows

macle

Hi,
This is a little solo deal...I got the title from a thread of Crawdad's a little while ago...someone was (rudely) suggesting that home recording was a waste of time, and Crawdad said something about whether home reccors were "chasing rainbows", and i thought that would be a good title (there's probably a million songs with that title already, but whatever...)

This is just a demo, I tried to write and record the song quickly, so as not to get all dragged down with endless tweaking (what's the use, it's just a home recording... :( :p ).

http://www.nowhereradio.com/macle
http://www.nowhereradio.com/macle/singles
All comments welcome.

Thanks for listening,
macle

Great sound man...Beatle-esque if I may compare.....really good mix.....bass seems just a tiny tiny bit hot at a couple of points...
Great playing too man....
Really cool change ups throughout man...makes it interesting...ya know?

Really good job man...great song...Kudos

Fantastic! Really "Oasis-Robbie Williams"-like, sound and songwriting.

Don't feel much like typing now, I'm just going to listen and enjoy..

Hey Macle,
Very nice man!! I dig the lead vocal settings in this... ....what pre are you using. Very nice tune too... ..Crawdad, I'ld be sticking to this one if i were you... ...i smell money:D

Im gonna hit this from home.

gw/5*****

Did you get into the challenge thingy? Man, I would love to hear you and Emeric do something together.

Nice recording dude.

Seriously man,... all around great. Nice guitar tones, nice piano sound, nice mix, nice everything. You're definitely not chasing anything... you're prolly as good of a homewrecker as I've ever heard.

The low-fi intro may have been a bit too long.. but eh... whatever... prolly not. :p

WATYF

Excellent recording. Vocals are very well executed. The snare drum is a bit muffly sounding. Like the rest of the kit sound though.

Beatlesque indeed. Ever listen to Emmett Rhodes Macle? Should check him out if you havn't. I think you'd dig it.

Nice job.

I'm now a confirmed macle fan!

I've only been around a few mo.s so I don't know how much stuff you got out there, but I have been listening to "Free" since you posted that. I like this one even more!!
No mixing tips here, just some healthy admiration and a little envy:mad: :D :D :)

Very good song! I like it a lot! I was thinking Beatles from the start. The George Harrison guitar, the background vocals. But yet, still original.
Good job,
Phil

ya, excellent man! Only two gripes. I don't care for the delay settings...too obvious for this IMO. It works for me at times, not so much at other times. Just preference though. The other thing is the snare sounds a bit muffled, but someone else said that I think (I breezed a few comments waiting for it to load up).

Give yourself a great big atta-boy. Nicely done. Lots of fun in the song, and a fun production too.

Tom

Golden Backup vocals harmony vocals

Very creative mix in the beginning, I love it. Sounds like a car speaker at the drive in. And I know this was some work to achieve this. What plug-in did you use ?

The contrast you achieve when you finally begin the 'real' mix at 0:27 is remarkable. And we are hooked !

It's beatleish. Thank for mixing those harmony vocals hot, they are good enough quality where you don't need to slather them to much in effects.

And the lead vocal is of course mixed on top of the mix, I could understand every word with no challenges by any other elements on the first listen, good job.

This is a very, very nice mix. At 1:25, you can give us some more of those excellent harmony vocals.

At 1:52, I want to hear the harmony vocals supporting the 'piece of music' rather than relying on the instruments.

Yes, at 2:15 we are in Beatle's land !

Awwwwwwe, 2:35 is really nice ... where'd those piggies go now ... hmmmm, although you know real violins and violas would really just add a super 'touch' there, but it's nice as is ...

Benny Hill fell down on his crown at 3:04 mate ?

You are pushing the envelope of 'homerecording' ... this is really professional quality studio work.

At the end, the harmony vocals on the hooks need to be much, much, much hotter, that's the ticket ... golden harmony vocals, comfort us with them on the way out, big soft pillows of harmony vocals, not the guitar that's going on at that point, mix it in back of the harmony vocals.

These are some of the best harmony vocals and backups I've heard on the board to date.

Excellent job Macle-Cool intro (I wasn't worried for a sec that you forgot how to record). Really like the reverse cymbal segue-well done-(sounds like something that would take me days to get right). The usual good arrangement-slide guitars -nice electric tones-piano playing sounds well done. Ahh a real bridge...Very good performances-vocals are impeccable--kind of a wierd drum lick ~ 3:00-it works I guess...Mix sounds great as usual-though maybe a bit lacking in the top end to my ears-more snap to the snare and sssssss to the cymbals woulda rounded out the spectrum nicely-really a nit-pick--A very enjoyable listen. Great Work!

Just excellent!!! I love this tune! Definitely going on my next comp CD.

You have an excellent arrangement here and a killer tune to boot.

I don't have any mix stuff for this. I'm just totally enjoying it!

Love those vocals and bg vocals.

:D

p.s. have you ever listened to Jellyfish?

Lol! Super-Lo FI!! :D

You TEEZE you ;)

You win the LOFI to HIFI transition of the year... (pulls trophy out of VOXVENDOR's hands... give--give it :mad:--cmon Joe... gi--give...! there... :))

Full mix clipping between 0:56-0:59...

Ha! There's even some boot-scoot boogie in here... chrisharris friendly ;)

BGVs clip around 2:00....

EXCELLENT balance EQwise... EXCELLENT arrangement... great songwriting...

levels get a li'l hot in there in places... otherwise, perfecto...

It's the BIG three in here, today. Erland, Emeric, and macle--the high priests of the HRCOM MP3 PILE. :D

Very well deserved "5" *****

C

hey macle, this is one of the best songs i've heard you post......i take that back......this is my favorite of your songs.

that snare drum sounds like it was lifted right off 'hey jude'.

great singing!!!

Another great song man. Another great sounding song as well.

I think the chorus needs a bit of harmony in there, sounds a bit weak on the 'bows' part, I'd add a second harmony on that syllable.

That's certainly a big nit-pick though, I enjoyed the song quite a bit. Good job.

HOLY CRAP!!!

This is my first macle experience. :D.

This is just great all around. Great pop/rock song & sound. This level of recording is way above my comprehension...so I'll just leave it at that.

Excellent...an instant entry to the Jagular keeper folder.

Five from me :D

Clearly, I love this. The vocal arrangement is terrific and the sound quality is excellent. I especially love the run-up on piano and run down on guitar at 1:25. Brilliant. If I had to dig deep for a criticism, while I love the way you handled the multiple sections of the song, you may have had one section too many. Maybe that sounds a little too deliberate. On the whole though, this is probably the best tune/arrangement/execution I've heard on the forum. Just a demo?! Dude, I don't even wanna hear that, even if its true. Its too depressing.

Back