Charlie Watts- Snare and HiHat question

SBax

How come Charlie does not hit the hihat at the same time he hits the snare? It's like he leaves a hole there.
Someone said that Jim Keltner sometimes plays the same way. True?

I don't understand. For my playing, I like to hear how the snare is in sync with the hihat. It lets me know if I am sloppy, or my snare is behind the beat when I don't want it to.
Thanks for any insight.

I don't know if that's true or why he would do that, but if he does it certainly hasn't harmed his career any. You don't have to be a virtuoso to be successful.

well, for one it ensures that there's no hi hat bleed from a concurrent hit entering the snare mic at the time as he hits the snare..........

i'm sure there are other reasons, but that's a big one. it's part of how he balances his kit.

cheers,
wade

He was playing like that way before micing a snare even existed. It''s just his style. It's that simple.

Think "UP"

Well, "they" say (whoever "they" are) that a good drummer always thinks "up" not "down". And If you watch Charlie's hi hat hand when he hits the snare it pops up about 5" in perfect timing with his snare hit.

Not like it's my place to rate him, however I've never been a huge fan. Although I am a fan of the occasional and suitable use of minimalism.

PS: Speaking of Charlie....what the hell's with the chinas? He has a china mounted right side up as his main crash replacement, and another one to his right side. Also, he has some un-named cymbal which I guess he uses as a crash-ride, and then a flat-top ride.

To each, his own I guess...

... And If you watch Charlie's hi hat hand when he hits the snare it pops up about 5" in perfect timing with his snare hit.
QUOTE]

I have noticed that and I sometimes "feel" a strong hesitation in the drumming from that jerky movement. Maybe it's just from the visual effect.

He uses that time to think about all the money he's made. He is the highest paid drummer per capita for drum hits :D

Great gig.

I honestly think he just can't do it. I don't think he even wants to try. He's the drummer for the Stones fer cripe's sake! How much of a cushier job could there be? You barely have to take a shit and people think it's made of gold.

I always feel like he's about ready to inadvertantly fall off his drum throne...my god, the dude is like 70 years old and been doing that since I can remember, he's either uncoordinated or a genius, humm maybe both, in his spare time he plays in a jazz band, go figure the guy is a millionare.

Listen to the early stones singles, then their 70's rock. Listen to Exile and to his jazz recordings.
He SOUNDS really good, on the money but not for the money, he has a good feel & groove. Charlie was the one who retained musical integrity when the others retained their mirth at their bank balances.
He's not the greatest but he's fantastic at what he does - listen to them/him at their peak & him doing what he enjoys.
People bag out Ringo too - mayhap shredding sensibilities have entered drumming - technique over expression form over function, guns before butter!

I agree with Ray. Who cares if he doesn't do 560 bpm cliche-metal blastbeats? The dude is better than anyone in here simply because he's gotten his music out to more people than all of us combined times a million. He's played on dozens of albums and gotten rich touring the world as the drummer of one of the most famous rock and roll bands of all time.

I'd say Charlie Watts is the fucking man, regardless of how he times his hit-hat/snare hits. ;)

he's gotten his music out to more people than all of us combined times a million. He's played on dozens of albums and gotten rich touring the world as the drummer of one of the most famous rock and roll bands of all time.

Yeah, too bad his career never really took off.:eek::D:p

People bag out Ringo too - mayhap shredding sensibilities have entered drumming - technique over expression form over function, guns before butter!

I guess you're right. Too much emphasis is put on guys who work really hard and put a lot of effort in to master their skills. We need to really appreciate the guys who are just good enough to get the job done and were lucky enough to get the gig. Those are the real heroes!

Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron were great players, but hey! The team wouldn't be complete without the relief pitchers and bat boys.

Lol. 5 inches? Noone sets their hats that far apart. :D

Actually I was refering to the approximate height he raises his ha-hat HAND up when he hits the snare.

But, speaking of spacing your hats 5" apart....I challenge your comment....

Attachments

• B8.jpg
    B8.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 222
  • alpha_sound_edge_hi-hat_lg.jpg
    alpha_sound_edge_hi-hat_lg.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 225
This kind of reminds me of the discussions we'd have back in High School. "Ringo and Watts suck" ... "Zep's drummer is better than The Doors'," etc.

I say try playing their grooves and really make them work before trashing anyone's abilities. If you are able to finally play their stuff with fluidity and passion, you'll discover a new appreciation for what they did.

The thing I noticed immediately when I first attempted a stones tune was how the beat "swings" differently from the straight eight-note beat. Almost implies the upbeat (in drumspeak: like playing hihats just on the "&" of the beat).

Ultimately. his beats "fit" with the music he's playing.

Incidentally had the "pleasure" of working a Watt's jazz band show back in the day. The other drummer carried the whole show, but the room wouldn't have been packed without the Watts named on it. So basically his name brought people in to see a good show they otherwise wouldn't have even heard about.

Last edited:
I guess you're right. Too much emphasis is put on guys who work really hard and put a lot of effort in to master their skills. We need to really appreciate the guys who are just good enough to get the job done and were lucky enough to get the gig. Those are the real heroes!

Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron were great players, but hey! The team wouldn't be complete without the relief pitchers and bat boys.
Ah, so you're one of those over-drummer guys. ;)

Back