Changing keys of my recorded songs - automatically

SouthSIDE Glen said:
In our part of the country they're not called guitarists. They're called wankers. ;)

G.

Depends on the style of music. Some of the greatest guitarists on the planet can be found in bluegrass and fingerstyle folk music. Playing in first position with "cowboy" chords and first position scales can be an advanced skill. The CAGED system of playing falls into this category. To change keys you use a capo.

That being said, I do understand the humor in your post ;)

lasagne said:
Chessrock - I'm taking a wild stab in the dark here - I'm guessing you're saying Melodyne won't work satisfactorily.

No, I really have an actual pitch-shifting Genie who lives in a bottle. Go ahead and don't believe me, but do so at your own peril.

chessrock said:
No, I really have an actual pitch-shifting Genie who lives in a bottle. Go ahead and don't believe me, but do so at your own peril.

Might that be a picture of him at the bottom of your post?

lasagne said:
He's not going to get down there ! One of the songs is in C and he needs it shifting to F - 5 semitones. I guess I could record a single acoustic track in F, get him to sing to that, then pitch shift his voice down to C, but I know it's going to sound like shit.

I don't think I'll bother. Mind you, they're great songs :) They deserve a great singer (which he is)

Using a pitch shifter for that big of a jump is going to be a compromise. Try to give a little in several places:

- First, when you use a pitch shifter, you will get fewer artifacts if you let it change tempo a bit.

- See if your singer can even give you a semitone back, like E, or ideally Eb.

- Finally, meet halfway. Shift your song up to E, track the vocal, then drop the vocal to D and bring your original track up to D and remix.

You will probably end up with something that sounds like half of Strawberry Fields, but that isn't always a terrible thing.

masteringhouse said:
Maybe you could put a capo around the vocalist's throat to transpose him?

Damn I just tried that and it didn't work. :(

Think I'm gonna go call a few hospitals...

a jump of five semitones is a big one, and even were pitch-shifting plug-ins to be used, i can't foresee a lot of joy.

though i understand the work involved in doing everything again, i think it is going to produce thge best results.

besides, it gives you an opportunity to rework the songs, and you may end up with something new and different

Back