Change Strings Man!!!

CGibson

OK, I just had to share this guitar moment.
I change on an average a dozen sets a day and this by far the worst I've seen.

Here's a guitar I had to change the strings on this week.
I just had to get a photo of it. This qualifies as the worst of the worst for me.
Especially since this guitar is being used on stage every week by a pro player. No Joke!!!
Oh my God, what the hell is He thinking?

http://www.cgibsonstudio.com/yuck.jpg

C

Hard2Hear said:
Are you a guitar tech? Man, that guy must sweat pure acid.
H2H

Ya, I tech among other odd.....I mean very odd jobs.
I think He changes strings when the rust starts grinding the ends of His fingers off.

I did have a buddy years ago that had a very high acid level. If he didn't wipe off the strings ever time he touched the guitar the strings turned to pure rust almost over night.
The bridge saddles also had to be replaced every year.

C

My God...I hope changing those strings didn't give you syphillus. That's terrible!

Purge said:
My God...I hope changing those strings didn't give you syphillus. That's terrible!

Ha Ha!
I'm pretty sure you can't contract syphilis from a rusty string but I did consider a tetanus shot.

mmmmm maybe I should see a Doctor before things start falling off.

Hey now.....did Al Capone change strings for a living?

C

rbbyrd said:
Who are you trying to BS?

That guitar is un-playable, not to mention "gigging"?

Get out.

RB

No Joke Man!
Everyday I see much worse than this on guitars that sit around for years but this one almost killed me when I found out it was used on daily gigs.
The clean up took about an hour.

C

CGibson said:
I did have a buddy years ago that had a very high acid level. If he didn't wipe off the strings ever time he touched the guitar the strings turned to pure rust almost over night.
The bridge saddles also had to be replaced every year.

C

LMAO!!! This is me! I've giged with strings almost that bad. That looks just like my neck if I don't play for a day. I've got that same acid thing. If I don't wipe 'em off they are toast in a day or two. And about every six months I have to take my bridge (Strat) apart and soak all the parts or it will seize up completely. I usually have to replace about half the height screws because they are so rusty the threads are gone. :cool:

Thanks man, that's funny.

boingoman said:
LMAO!!! This is me! I've giged with strings almost that bad. That looks just like my neck if I don't play for a day. I've got that same acid thing. If I don't wipe 'em off they are toast in a day or two. And about every six months I have to take my bridge (Strat) apart and soak all the parts or it will seize up completely. I usually have to replace about half the height screws because they are so rusty the threads are gone. :cool:

Thanks man, that's funny.

Oh No another acid Man!
Ya, It's crazy how fast the reaction is. He had to wipe down everything He touched. Like volume knobs on car stereo, door handles etc.
We had to CUT the saddles off His strat once a year. Forget about the height screws after a Month, they welded in forever.

Sooooo don't feel like you're alone here on planet Earth. I know of a few other battery acid for blood aliens living here.

Funny stuff Man!
We come in piece...please don't melt our brains with your death-ray battery acid blood.

C

Hmmm... the low E string doesn't look too bad :rolleyes:

I'm sorry though; when your strings start to tear into your flesh, there's usually a problem. How long have these strings been on there?

You'd think that would completly ruin his tone. How can he play that every night and get a decent sound? That's guitar abuse and he should be arrested.

rpe

My favorites are some of the worn frets people seem to be able to ignore. The attached is not even the worst I have seen. There was one a month or two ago which, I swear, had spots on about half the frets which were worn level with the fingerboard. The guy had just bought the guitar on eBay, so I have no idea how any one had played it, but it was truly frightening. On a cool old Gibson J-45 from the fifties, too.

But those are some of the worst gigging strings I have seen. (Doesn't count strings on guitars which live in a case, though.)

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Attachments

• Bad Frets.jpeg
    Bad Frets.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 143
Light, I'm guessing the owner of that guitar is not playing in a Pink Floyd tribute band... bend..clunk..bend more.. clunk.. bend more...

I know whatcha mean

Light said:
My favorites are some of the worn frets people seem to be able to ignore. The attached is not even the worst I have seen. There was one a month or two ago which, I swear, had spots on about half the frets which were worn level with the fingerboard. The guy had just bought the guitar on eBay, so I have no idea how any one had played it, but it was truly frightening. On a cool old Gibson J-45 from the fifties, too.

But those are some of the worst gigging strings I have seen. (Doesn't count strings on guitars which live in a case, though.)

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Ouch! Ya, I also see this almost daily.
I've done several temporary fixes on frets just like this.
I have pro's that can't leave the guitar for proper fret job so I do a quick fill in the slot solder job to get them by for a little while. It's a cool quick fix but some still try to get Months of hard playtime off a solder job.

I feel your pain man

C

It looks like a years build up of finger ease, fast fret, guitar polish, Jack Daniels, bong juice, roach resin, Big Mac secret sauce, spilled beer and dried snot. I would think that just by playing the guitar, some of that crap would scrape off. I too, produce acid sweat by the buckets, but like taking a poo poo, I always wipe when I'm done. The gunge on them strings looks to be growing. Seems kinda strange that there's not much wear on the frets, gigging every night and all. I would think a new set of strings would screw up his playing?

Back