Cassette slowing down

justinchannell

I have a Vesta Fire MR-10 Pro 4-track (graciously donated by forum member Julia) and I'm having a problem... on the second song and thereon on a tape I recorded on the MR-10, the tape is playing in a slower speed. I can turn the pitch control up slightly to get it sounding about right, but I want to know if anyone knows what may be causing this? Could it be the tape, which is a Sony Type I Normal Bias 60 minute or is it the deck? Could it have something to do with a repair that was made by my sister's boyfriend and I to resolder the headphone jack to the board? How can I fix it?

I'm certainly hoping this is a quick fix, because I want to get my demo CD finished ASAP! :)

Need more info to zero in on this one - Does your comment mean that the first song is OK, but the rest are slow?

Does the sound warble, or is it just consistently below pitch?

Did you get anywhere near the capstan belt when soldering? How accomplished is your sis's boyfriend with a soldering iron?

Some possibilities are: stretched cassette tape, dirty tape path, slipping capstan belt, recorded with vari-speed turned on (don't know this machine well enough to know if that's possible) altered pitch setting due to heat from soldering changing a value on a board component, all songs but the first one recorded under the influence of Quaaludes... :=)

Hope at least one of these points you in the right direction... Steve

knightfly just named about everything that could be wrong. If it changes speed while playing or recording (warble or changing while playing back) it's more than likely the capstan motor. If it's speed seems constant, just at the wrong pitch, my money would be on it was recorded with the verispeed engaged at a higher speed. That would make it sound slow with the speed controll centered.

I had a similar problem with my Fostex 8-track. Basically it was due to dirty tape path. I cleaned it out thoroughly.....twice....and it was ok!

Cheers!

Definately use an alcohol cleaner meant for head cleaning but don't use rubbing alcohol what ever you do. It leaves a nasty film when it dries. Also use a rubber cleaner on the rubber parts and not alcohol on them as it will dry them out. You should be able to up the right stuff at either a Rat Shack or a music store that sells recording gear.

It's likely the capstan belt and probably not the motor.

By the sound of this clip, I'd say the belt is stretched and worn out beyond it's practical useful lifespan, and just before it gives up the ghost, it sounds like THAT--->.

This is relatively common in the cassette world, or for almost any other analog tape deck. The belts and rubber parts deteriorate with age, stretch, and sometimes even lose their consistency altogether and turn to goo, in extreme cases.

[You know,... make sure it's not the tape or some other no brainer, before tearing into the tape deck to repair.]

I've done cassette repairs, mostly on Tascams. I buy broken units and fix them, and I know a lot about the typical cassette mechanism. I think that the moderately skilled and committed DIY'er can replace the capstan belt, and even the other internal rubber parts, but be forewarned, it's a lot of small parts in disassembly of the cassette mech, and probably not for the faint hearted or first-time-DIY'er. BTW, I'm a hardware tech by trade, 20 years of takin' stuff apart, and I do this stuff a home sometimes for "fun", so it's no big deal,... but first-time-DIY'ers be forwarned.

First time DIY'ers may have a little trouble figuring out how to take a cassette deck all the way apart,... much less put it back together, especially a 4-tracker.

It can be done, and it can be "fun", and you can sure save a lot of money with DIY-repairs, and you should be okay if you disassemble things methodically, and keep track of all the small parts, noting which way things are supposed to go back together.

In short, it's likely the capstan belt. Belt replacement is not that heavy duty of a repair, as compared to the "idler", but that's an explanation for another day. Good luck in repair.

===============

Hey, let me not forget to say it's a very cool thing for any member of this board or any home recordist to give someone a 4-tracker. Not only that, but you're probably one of the few people on this board who's recording on a Vestax, one of those 'me-too-Tascam-clones'.

Anyway, 'dya ever see the old '80s Vestax that was a 6-channel/6-track/rackmount cassette version? Ooh, six, cool. That's gotta be a collector's item now. I guess 6-track cassette format never really caught on.

Further on a tangent, 'dya ever see the AKAI 12-track portastudio-style recorder that recorded onto large 1/4" cassettes, [like the "Elcaset" 1/4" cassette]???? Ooh, another collectors' item!

If you look hard enough, you may find these rare gems on Ebay, once in a great while.

Anyway, thanx for reading, and I'll let you have your thread back now.

Justin, in my experience rubber restorer products are mostly a waste of time and money, with the added benefit of making an ALMOST worthless part COMPLETELY worthless. The only exception to this is that once in a while those restorers help when the rubber is being used as a "drive tire", in other words on a wheel as a rubber friction surface to drive another wheel.

Once a capstan belt wears/stretches to the point where it can't maintain enough tension to drive the capstan, it's pretty much toast.

Did you try searching just on "vesta"? Most of the time site search engines are notoriously dumb, and the name may have been abbreviated.

As to generic belts, you might get lucky but it isn't likely. Cassette machines, running as slow as they do, need a good belt in order to run at constant speeds (no warble) - Sooo, the better manufacturers use a very constant density rubber and machine it to exact thickness in order to avoid variations in tension/density, both of which can cause speed variations. This is why proper capstan belts cost so much more than people think they should - "This ain't yer Daddy's rubber band", so to speak...

If you're desperate enough, you may be able to choose a generic belt (if they offer them) - just go for one slightly smaller than the one you have (it's stretched, remember?) - Other than that, I could find no info on Vesta either -

The only thing I found was on the site for vestax, who I believe made the vesta fire series - they seem to be mostly DJ stuff now, but here's a contact blurb from their site, you might call or email and ask about your unit - nothing to lose...

USA
Vestax America - Florida Office
Phone: 954-567-2688
Fax:954-567-2689
Email: johnterry@vestax.com

Good hunting... Steve

The belt you need may be gotten as generic,...

through www.electronix.com , but you'll have to know the dimensions of the belt first.

Exact belt size will vary from deck to deck, but the cassette capstan belt in general is a flat rubber belt, usually about 3mm wide, .5mm thick, and roughly 7" in total length, each slightly different length based on model. If you remove the old belt, you'll get a general idea of the dimensions, and it could be measured to be more exact.

Likewise, when getting a new belt, get one that's shorter, up to ~3/4" shorter is okay. Measuring the old belt is the best way to come up with the estimated size you'll need, then page over to www.electronix.com .

The capstan belt is a low cost item, as are the other internal rubber parts, if bought as generic costing only a couple of dollars, or up to 300%-400% more in markup if you buy from gear manufacturers like Tascam.

Currently I'm involved in repairing and refurbishing several Tascam 234 rackmount 4-track cassette decks. Total of the internal rubber parts only costs about $6 per unit, plus about $9 for a new Tascam pinch roller if required, and that's all, but labor is DIY.

Well, I got a response from the Vestax guy. He just gave me another address to write to. So I sent another email, this time adding if they could tell me the size of the belt, just to allow me to be more lazy. :)

Wait... I misread 7 cm for 7 inches. Can anyone help me pinpoint the correct belt to purchase?

Another thing: I can not order from Electronix, as they have a $15 minimum order and this belt looks to cost less than $1. Would somewhere like Radio Shack carry them?

Last edited:
Back